Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problem with HG635 router saving wireless settings  (Read 3829 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Problem with HG635 router saving wireless settings
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

I am trying to set up my HG635 to use as a wireless access point and so far have everything working except getting it to save some of the changes to the 5ghz wireless settings. What happens is I change something and the message sayings it will be saved flashes up and disappears and when you check the setting has not altered. Anyone else seen this problem? Until I can get all settings to stick I cant use it as an access point.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

loveextasy

Re: Problem with HG635 router saving wireless settings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »

Hi,

I was hoping to set as an AP as well, haven't got the same issue as yours but some other issues.....

I managed to save both 2.4G and 5G wireless settings, but only 2.4G will let me to access the local network and internet, but 5G won't let me do anything to the network....not access to NAS or even a webpage....

I connected HG635 using a LAN port to the main router SBG3300's LAN port.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »

Well I cannot test 5ghz until I solve the saving issue. I set the router to bridged mode so the modem will be off, dont know if that matters or not. I guess what I'll try is doing a full reset of the router and set it up from scratch.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »

I just set up the router from scratch and I have been able to save my wireless data now. It is in bridged mode although I dont know if that matters, and I am writing this using the HG635 5ghz wireless connection on my laptop having obtained my IP address from the main Zyxel router's DHCP as it is obviously disabled on the HG635. The HG635 has an IP address of 192.168.0.254 which is outside of the Zyxel's  dhcp range and I can access its gui just fine.

So it looks like I can use this as a wireless access point at least for now.

Stuart

loveextasy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »

Cool thanks for testing this. I may do this in bridge mode as well and give it a try this evening.

By the way, is your ZyXEL router 802.11AC enabled, or only 802.11N? (Mine is N only and I doubt it might be the reason AC is not working on HG635)

Cheers.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »

By the way, is your ZyXEL router 802.11AC enabled, or only 802.11N? (Mine is N only and I doubt it might be the reason AC is not working on HG635)

It is 802.11AC but that should make no difference as the HG635 is acting as a stand-alone access point providing you are cabling the HG635 to your main router with CAT5E (or 6) or using Homeplugs to connect it. I have mine cabled from one of the Lan ports on the Zyxel to one of the Lan ports on the HG635. If you use a repeater then it will only repeat the 2.4ghz from you main router (at least I'm pretty sure that's the case) but I am not aware you can use the HG635 in repeater mode (stands aside to miss brick-bats if I'm wrong here  ;) ).

Stuart

loveextasy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »

Hi,

I am connecting from LAN to LAN, which I suppose it should be the repeater mode? (at least I turned off DHCP and any routing features on HG635).

Otherwise I cannot work out why it is only 2.4G working and 5G does not let me to use the network at all.

Thank you.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »

I am connecting from LAN to LAN, which I suppose it should be the repeater mode? (at least I turned off DHCP and any routing features on HG635).

Otherwise I cannot work out why it is only 2.4G working and 5G does not let me to use the network at all.

The first point is that what you are doing is NOT repeater mode, repeater mode is where the device picks up a wireless signal and re-transmits it. This should work as you are connected in the same way as I have and the fact that 2.4ghz works means that at least part of the setup is correct.

The problem may be that 5ghz not setup correctly. When I was having problems with my setup I could not see the 5ghz connection being broadcast from the HG635 on any of my devices because it had exactly the same SSID as my ZyXEL. I only saw the HG635 broadcast when using WiFi-Radar (on Linux) to view everything being broadcast in my area. So I would suggest that you review the settings to make sure you have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz with unique SSIDs and different from the main routers SSID, that way you can be sure which connection you are using.

One other thing is that my HG635 has F/W 1.04T installed as I got TT to downlevel it because of an issue I had while I was using it as my main router so perhaps there could be an issue with your F/W if different. I dont know if you have started from scratch with your setup, in order to get mine working I had to start with a factory reset and then correctly set up all the various settings and it all now works OK. I guess one last question - has 5ghz ever worked on the router when using it normally?

It is difficult to help somewhat not being able to see exactly what you are seeing when testing this but the fact that mine works is hopeful we can sort this.

Stuart

loveextasy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your post..

Yes I was setting both 2.4H and 5G from HG635 unique SSIDs differ from the main router, and did a hard reset before I actually setting it up.

I think the only difference is that I am using 1.06t F/W which should cause this problem. I will try flash it back to 1.04 and see.

Thanks again. :)

anything