Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Seen it with my own eyes ….  (Read 2938 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Seen it with my own eyes ….
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »

I'd heard of the mythical beast, but today I actually clapped eyes on one !!

The object of my post being a brand new Copper Cab opened up, to provide 'DEL-fed' premises with FTTC, (Direct Exchange Line - not fed historically through a Cab of any kind). Obviously, the FTTC Cab with subsequently follow.
As I say, I'd heard they were contemplating such things, but have now actually witnessed it.

Can only be a good move for affected EU's nationwide.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: Seen it with my own eyes ….
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

my sister be happy then.

she is exchange fed, although she has a perfect adsl line (24mbit sync), she wants more.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »

Does that do anything for those lines in term of maintenance and flexibility? i.e. from a practical point of view (ignoring broadband speed) are there advantages or disadvantages of going via a cabinet rather than direct? e.g. easier/worse troubleshooting and/or effects on reliability?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »

My feeling is that the extra joint in each leg of the pair, for those lines fed via a cabinet, is just another point of possible failure.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »

To be exact, then yes, any 'joint' is a potential failure point. But if you take into account the hundreds of 'joints' already in play on some very long 'DEL's', a couple more to get VDSL services won't matter a jot IMHO.

Glad your sis (and many, many others) will benefit from this re-engineering of OR plant, Chrysallis. I have to admit to being puzzled at the decision to make 'Close to the Exchange' DEL's into FTTC, thinking it would only be the far-reaching rural ones. But, it's a win-win for the likes of your sis who wants more speed, but could probably survive on the 24Meg anyway ??

One particular rural exchange area on my patch will be overjoyed by this new work, though. There are NO Cabs at all with every EU being DEL. :)

TobyPTO

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »

I'd heard of the mythical beast, but today I actually clapped eyes on one !!

The object of my post being a brand new Copper Cab opened up, to provide 'DEL-fed' premises with FTTC, (Direct Exchange Line - not fed historically through a Cab of any kind). Obviously, the FTTC Cab with subsequently follow.
As I say, I'd heard they were contemplating such things, but have now actually witnessed it.

Can only be a good move for affected EU's nationwide.  :)
Hi black sheep we have had one running in my patch for over 8 months now in Rutland

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing, Toby.

I have a good mate in 'Planning' who has very recently been seconded from normal duties, to concentrate on this type of work. As I've said above, this is completely novel around our parts but a breath of fresh air for those EU's affected. Plus, hopefully a lot less grief for us guys when working on these circuits.  ;) ;D

Cheers, bud.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »

To be exact, then yes, any 'joint' is a potential failure point. But if you take into account the hundreds of 'joints' already in play on some very long 'DEL's', a couple more to get VDSL services won't matter a jot IMHO.

Glad your sis (and many, many others) will benefit from this re-engineering of OR plant, Chrysallis. I have to admit to being puzzled at the decision to make 'Close to the Exchange' DEL's into FTTC, thinking it would only be the far-reaching rural ones. But, it's a win-win for the likes of your sis who wants more speed, but could probably survive on the 24Meg anyway ??

One particular rural exchange area on my patch will be overjoyed by this new work, though. There are NO Cabs at all with every EU being DEL. :)

in my opinion 24meg is generally good enough, but is a few points to consider.

the upload speed on adsl2+ is slow enough to still feel slow.  so anyone who uploads a lot will be feeling the pain even on a perfect adsl2+ line.

some people always want more regardless of how good it is, especially if frends/family have better.  The fact I have FTTC I think grinds on her a bit :)

anything