Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR margin for download fluctuations-poor joint?  (Read 2750 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
SNR margin for download fluctuations-poor joint?
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »

I've noticed there are always short peaks at my downstream SNR margin. There is no day without peaks. It happens once per few hours. Example is on the attached graph nearby the end.

What can be cause of it? Is it short absence of REIN or rather any little line fault eg. poor joint somewhere? SNR margin for upstream seems perfect and on this forum I've read poor joints cause considerable fluctuations on upstream.

Best regards
konrado5

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: SNR margin for download fluctuations-poor joint?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:23:40 PM »

I have looked at the right-hand end of your SNRM graph and can see nothing that is out of the ordinary. All of the small peaks and dips, both DS & US, are well within the expected range for minor, transient variations. I appreciate that your graph is for a two hour period but please take a look at my typical SNRM graph for a one hour period, below. There is no cause for concern . . . whichever one of the graphs is considered, yours or mine.

It is sudden, erratic changes in the SNRM, with wild swings, in both ways, that can be an indicator of a defective joint. Note the words "can be" . . . Such a suspicion is augmented if audible noise is noticeable when the telephone is in use. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »

Quote from: burakkucat
All of the small peaks and dips, both DS & US, are well within the expected range for minor, transient variations.
Once per few hours two times very short raisements eg. from 0.7 dB to 1.2 dB are normal? I know peaks and dips 0.7-0.8 dB are normal. I know it is normal at night SNR margin raised from 0.3 dB to 0.8 dB and it keeps many hours. I doubt about very short and regular raisements about 0.6 dB.

Best regards
konrado5

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »

It is sudden, erratic changes in the SNRM, with wild swings, in both ways, that can be an indicator of a defective joint.
I don't understand? Do you say about my or rather your graph?

Best regards
konrado5

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:51:24 PM »

I think I may have just wasted the past year trying to explain to you what SNR is and how it works. 

This is something Ive gone over time and time and time again with you,  and you insist you understood. 
But If you had read what Ive said in the past.... or if you even in anyway shape or form took on-board what has been explained to you many many times, then you would not have even bothered asking the question. 

If you read the main site, you will see that it repeatedly states that fluctuations in SNRm is normal.  EVERY single line will show fluctuations.

I didnt know whether to laugh or cry or go smash my head against a brick wall when I saw you ask this question again.

There is NOTHING wrong with your SNRm in those graphs...  in fact its what would be called rock steady.   Fluctuations of up to 3dB are considered NORMAL - this is why adsl2+ needs an SNRm of 3dB to work.  Even 6dB fluctuations on some longer lines are considered normal.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR SNRM - in fact its perfect.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »

No, I am not referring to either of our graphs. I consider them both to be normal.

I am thinking about what Kitz experienced, as shown in this post or what renluop has recently noticed, as reported in this thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »

I apologize if my question seemed to be questions about typical fluctuations. I know fluctuations are normal. I question about one type of fluctuations. 0.7-1.2-0.7-1.2 during few minutes once per few hours. I don't see it on burakkucat graph.

Thank you very much for your help
konrado5
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:59:15 PM by konrado5 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »

It is sudden, erratic changes in the SNRM, with wild swings, in both ways, that can be an indicator of a defective joint.
I don't understand? Do you say about my or rather your graph?

Best regards
konrado5

Neither - b*cat said both yours and his graphs where good. 

Below is a sample of a graph showing a bad joint - see how it swings between 0dB and 18dB  - that is what we call a spike. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker