Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: A little excitement in the roseway household  (Read 40267 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: A little excitement in the roseway household
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2014, 12:19:05 AM »

I have been somewhat concerned over leaving TalkTalk and going to A.N.Other due to the possible telephone number loss. Originally one had to insist that TalkTalk perform a "return to donor" with the telephone number -- which is to revert it back to Beattie -- and that was something which TalkTalk were unwilling to do.

Of course things may well have changed, so I will be interested in knowing exactly what happens when Eric migrates away from TalkTalk.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42:27 AM »

I have been somewhat concerned over leaving TalkTalk and going to A.N.Other due to the possible telephone number loss. Originally one had to insist that TalkTalk perform a "return to donor" with the telephone number -- which is to revert it back to Beattie -- and that was something which TalkTalk were unwilling to do.

Of course things may well have changed, so I will be interested in knowing exactly what happens when Eric migrates away from TalkTalk.

It's a myth burakkucat have seen plenty of X TalkTalk customers even (LLU customers) migrate to other ISP's and they been able to keep the same Telephone number on another telephony provider.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:44:58 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2014, 01:24:51 AM »

That is good to know. Thank you for sharing it.  :)

However I still can not justify moving from TalkTalk or even taking the Openreach NGA GEA VDSL2 based service.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »

we're actually paying less for plusnet fttc than we were for talktalk adsl2+

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2014, 01:56:32 AM »

Due to my line length, I can only achieve synchronisation at about 5 Mbps. So I have remained on the legacy TalkTalk service. My broadband service costs me £0-00 per month, as it is the "free up to 8 Mbps broadband with a telephone service" package.  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:57 AM »

My concern over possibly leaving TT is that so far I have been unable to find a package anywhere which gives me unlimited UK landline calls, line rental and ADSL2+ broadband for even the same as TT currently charge. However I know in the past TT have insisted that you cannot take your number with you, I know because I asked and they were adamant, I suppose things might have changed. I do also wonder if keeping the phone number might make it difficult to have a continuous service during any move. My other gripe against TT is that for FTTC (which I could get) only does a 40/2 service rather than a 40/10, I think my line would support faster than 40 but nowhere close to 80.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »

The return to donour was an issue a few years back, but this has now been mostly sorted.

There are a few cases that do go wrong, but if you had a bt number that was ported to LLU, then you should be able to bring it back to BT WLR without too much of a problem
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »

Interesting things emerging in this thread.  Having never even had an LLU option,  it hadn't dawned on me that some IPSs may be slower than others to offer an FTTC service, even after the exchange and cabinet are enabled.   My exchange is not yet enabled, so I don't think I have any way to predict initial choice of ISPs?  :'(

My plan remains, to transfer existing ADSL to Zen.  If they are able to offer Fibre at my address when the if/when the exchange & cab' are ready, then all well and good.  Otherwise, I guess, I can switch again as it's a one month contract. 

Zen are probably not the cheapest, and the 50GB limit on the FTTC basic package could get swallowed up very quickly with Fibre, leading me to upgrade soon after. But I'm pinning my hopes on their reputation for service & support living up to promise - that makes up for so much!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »

As far as I know, it's only the LLU suppliers who are subject to this delay, because a GEA link cable has to be installed in the exchange to link the fibre services to the ISP's equipment.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »

As far as I know, it's only the LLU suppliers who are subject to this delay, because a GEA link cable has to be installed in the exchange to link the fibre services to the ISP's equipment.

Thank you Eric, that makes sense now.   Never having had the option of LLU, I tend to be ignorant of its pros/cons and pitfalls.   :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »

Thank you Eric, that makes sense now.   Never having had the option of LLU, I tend to be ignorant of its pros/cons and pitfalls.   :)

Join the club 7*muddle  ;) have been waiting over 10 years for local loop unbundling at are wee exchange but no ISP has taken the plunge, so thank god for BT wholesale for looking after the rural customers 10 out of 10 BT "your my only hope"  :thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »

An amusing addendum to this. Yesterday I noticed three Openreach vans parked alongside PCP1 which I'm connected to, with several OR guys clustered round the open cabinet. I wandered over and asked them if this was part of the FTTC installation. They said it wasn't - they were repairing a telephone fault which was caused by the FTTC installation work. ;D   Today the road is closed while they do more work on the same fault further down the road.

They were quite chatty, and they showed me the panel in the cabinet with the fibre link pairs connected. They didn't know exactly when the cabinet would go live with FTTC, but they understood that all the structural work had been completed.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »

ooh... hopefully soon then :fingers:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »

I've just ordered my FTTC upgrade, and the planned date is 25 September, although this may change.

Yesterday evening I saw an OR engineer working on another FTTC cabinet in the centre of the village, and I asked him if he knew when that cabinet would be live. He said it would be live when he finished working on it that evening, and it would take about 24 hours for ISPs to be notified. I asked him if he knew the status of the cabinet I'm connected to, and he said that he was fairly sure it would be the same.

So this evening I took a walk along to my cabinet and stuck my ear by the vents, and was rewarded by a humming sound. I came back home and ordered the upgrade, and it was accepted. :dance:
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »

Wey-hey !! Nice one.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10