Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Switch from Interleaving to Fast and IP Profile  (Read 4641 times)

N1CECUPOFTEA

• Just arrived
Switch from Interleaving to Fast and IP Profile
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »

I switched from AOL to BT Broadband on 31/12/07. After training period my line profile has been set to 6500kbps as it was with AOL. I have now managed to get BT to switch line from Interleaved to Fast as I have excellent line stats and a very short line. My profile is still at 6500kbps and my BT wholesale ADSL checker now reports that I should receive 2mb or greater. Speedtests are at 6-6.3mb as before.

Should my profile change to 7150kbps and why the 2mb from the ADSL checker? Thanks in advance.

N1CECUPOFTEA

• Just arrived
Re: Switch from Interleaving to Fast and IP Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »

Sorry just found this information on this very site, which I believe answers my question:

What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?

Decreases in sync speed will still reflect in the IP profile within 75 mins.
Increases in sync speed will depend on the percentage of the increase and will vary between a few hours and up to 5 days.
A large % increase in sync speed should see the IP profile rise within 4-6 hours, whilst a small increase may take up to 5 days before the IP profile reflects the change. BT estimates that under "Adaptive Max Logic" more than 60% of increases will now occur before they would on the old 3 day system.

Examples:-

1. - Large increase - Line dropped to a 576 sync during a thunderstorm (profile = 500), after a resync it went back up to 7616 (profile 6500). Profile increase = 6000/500 *100 = 1200% increase which should occur in 4-6 hours.
2. - Small increase - Sync increase from 7616 (profile 6500) to 8128 (profile 7150) after interleaving removed. Profile increase = 650/6500*100 = 10% which may not take effect for 5 days.

How long it exactly takes for increases to be applied would also seem to depend on how busy the system is.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »

Hi and welcome.

What IP profile you get depends on the speed at which you are connecting. Your modem or router should be able to provide your connection stats. If you don't know how to get this information, see Here. If you let us know the result we will be able to help more.
  Eric

N1CECUPOFTEA

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »

Thanks,

Sync speed was 7616 Kbps now 8,128 Kbps according to BT Hub Manager. So if I am right my profile should change from 6500 to 7150 as my case is identical to example to in post 2.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:23 PM »

Yes, you're right, example 2 should apply.

By the way, don't read too much into the BT ADSL checker. The information is often quite conservative, or not updated after something has changed, etc. It doesn't have any effect on actual performance.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:48 AM »

The 2Mb figure may also be the one that applies to "fixed rate services".

Try looking checking the adsl checker

It should say something like

Fixed ADSL:      2048 kbps      (2 Mb)
adsl button    DSL Max :      8000 kbps    (8 Mb)

As regards to a profile change from 6500 to 7150 it could well take a few days Im afraid :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

N1CECUPOFTEA

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »

Currently ADSL Checker says:

Fixed ADSL:  2048 kbps (2 Mb) 
DSL Max :   2000 kbps (2 Mb)

It changed from 6.5 Mb to 2 Mb when I started calling BT to get line switched from Interleaved to Fast.

In the year I was with AOL and from 31/12/07 to 11/01/08 it said:

Fixed ADSL:  2048 kbps (2 Mb) 
DSL Max :   6500 kbps (2 Mb)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »

>> It changed from 6.5 Mb to 2 Mb when I started calling BT to get line switched from Interleaved to Fast.

It shouldnt have :/

2000 is the default IP profile value set on a new line or newly maxed line. I'm guessing here - but I wonder if your ISP has asked for a new retrain rather than Interleaving removed?  I cant think of any other reason why it would do that.  Even then though I wouldn't expect it to be recorded in that database.
Hopefully the system will pick up that youre syncing ok at 8128 and re-adjust - keep an eye on it.

As long as its not restricting your throughput, then in time it should correct itself.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker