Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hold on to your hats  (Read 7024 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Hold on to your hats
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »

I hope all are staying safe.   Gusting to 92mph at Mumbles an hour ago, according to Met Office live statistics.   :o

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/mumbles_head_latest_wind.html

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Hold on to your hats
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:42:08 PM »

Here where we are it is currently raining and blowing hard but at present winds are only gusting to around 38mph although I guess Manston will see higher as they are far more open than here. No chance of us flooding as we are about 130 feet above sea level!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »

The weather is foul here (near Ashford, Kent) but like Stuart we don't get floods. Winds are gusting to 63 mph nearby. There's no doubt that others are having it a lot worse. :(
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »

Just noticed my own local met office stats show gusts of high 50s at 3pm.  That's explains why I've been feeling a bit twitchy when looking at  trees bowing and bending, but nothing compared to what others are seeing.

We live quite close to a major river, but have consolation of being about 50ft above the water level.   If ever rises by that much we might as well all give up hope.   :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »

Only  57mph at Manston, I've just driven a customers 7.5t lorry from Sandwich to Broadstairs, wasn't too bad but was getting blown about a bit.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/manston_latest_wind.html
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

In south-Derbyshire we had a gust of 51.0 mph (SSW @ 15:35). :o
I have found in-side work to do today, cutting the hedges will have to wait  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »

Gusts recorded at 101mph off the North Welsh coast  :o

This is a good site for checking wind speeds

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »

Gusts recorded at 101mph off the North Welsh coast  :o

That's just a draught really, Aberdaron Station recorded 108mph at 1600 hours  today.  :'(

The evidence is here at the following link but you'll need to be quick as only stats only remain visible for six hours...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/aberdaron_latest_weather.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »

Just say it was more than a tad breezy here last night.  Blackpool was in the corridor where it hit the worst.   

I certainly cant recall feeling as scared as I was last night as the house was shaking and creaking.  One by one all the roads into town closed down for various reasons.  My daughter was working in the Manchester area and couldnt get home last night as trains from stopped at Preston and all local buses and trams were told to return to base..   This morning theres a lots of damage reports and debris.  The guy over the back lost his new avery and next to him his garage. This is the local shops, and the local garage was closed as the forecourt canopy became loose and the shell sign smashed to the floor.    I dunno how strong the winds were last night here, but I heard several reports of gusts of between 96 to 100 mph last night. 

I chickened out, and holed up in my bedroom with the kittehs and the TV turned up loud to try and drown out the noise.

ETA
Just checked  airport data from yesterday
wind speed    Gust
92.5    93.9
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »

It was windy here in Sheffield but not as much or as long as forecast.I hope all others who were caught up in the storm are safe and well.

Apparently there's more to come. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »

>> Apparently there's more to come

I believe so.  Whats that typical british phrase  "Whats happened to the weather?"   The country atm is in a right state with the floods and storm damage.     

Im supposed to be at college today, but didnt feel up to it, and am about to go and clear up the debris from last night.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »

We are getting the 'tail end' of the Atlantic winds  :o   We have had the  wettest January/February  I have known in 20 odd years, the ground is saturated - even with the hundred of hectares of vines that surround us  incredible.   Having survived the hurricane  here in 1999 ( 96 people didn't)  I know how frightening the elements can be.  If you don't have to go out, stay put  ( unless you are near any flooding danger of course).
Keep safe - and keep smiling  :) :flower:
It's today that matters !

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »

Can anyone tell me which countries are sending us aid to help with the flood relief effort.... ???

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »

Around here the wind wasn't that bad.   The rivers are in full flood, which is an impressive sight, but nothing that's not happened before.   Many of the bridges have plaques showing historic flood levels and these historic floods were often several feet above current, no matter what the Environment Agency or politicians may claim.

What is noticeable and I not seen before, and channel 4 has just been wittering on about it, is the spontaneous appearance of ground water floods.   Fields and gardens are filling and overflowing, even without any apparent influx of water.  And though there's not been all that much rain for the past few days many of the drains, even far above the river levels, are spouting like fountains.   These fountains then form 'streams' that find a way down to the river.  I've seen a fair few houses that seem to have had a soaking as a result of these streams.   :'(
Pages: [1] 2