Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Still Same problem  (Read 3148 times)

• Reg Member
Still Same problem
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:18 PM »

Bt engineers visit, mention possible hr fault as can hear router on line. But don't fix it :no:
   Downstream   Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):   On   On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):   22   70
Attenuation (0.1 dB):   635   315
Output Power (0.1 dBm):   161   124
Attainable Rate (Kbps):   2240   256

Path 0       Path 1   
    Downstream   Upstream   Downstream   Upstream
Rate (Kbps):   2048   160   0   0

Also when there is the rustling/buzzing the line has resynced, and sometimes resyncs whilst on line. Also what is causing the clicking, which is intermittent, but is there most of the time.
https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/clicking
https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/rustling
https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/buzzing-crackle

• Reg Member
Re: Still Same problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

Anyone?

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

The 'clicking' track sounds to me from the timing to be ringing current.

The 'squeal/beeping' track on your soundcloud site sounds like some kind of telemetry on a private circuit.

A cable somewhere going low insulation?   :-\

Any neighbours hearing similar?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »

"telemetry on a private circuit". Could you explain, what this could be, and why would i hear ringing current when i am on the line, just after pressing 1 button, but the line is not ringing. Will have to ask neighbours. Also this may be irrelivent but three has been a unavailable number calling, I've only been able to pick it up once, but when I did it was just the dial tone?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:20:23 PM by Loading »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »

Sorry, I should have explained it better.

Basically I'm suggesting that a section of cable somewhere between you and the exchange is exhibiting the effects of low insulation (possibly water ingress?), so that there is crosstalk between the pairs.

So, the ringing current would be on another line rather than yours; similarly, the tones from an analogue private circuit. Telemetry (basically – transmission of data) can produce a whole range of weird sounds.

I doubt that the unavailable caller has any relevance.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »

4candles is spot-on about the 'clicking' audio-track. That is the noise of another circuit being rung.

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:56:41 PM »

But that can be quite frequent when I use the phone, so could it numerous phones affecting it, or my neighbours are always on the phone, also wouldn't the engineers see this, and cause the line tests to fail? Also the other day whilst testing the dc voltage, I tested ac voltage, and got 108v, this was idle, I thought that there should be no ac unless the phone was ringing
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:04:29 PM by Loading »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »

Impossible question to answer, I'm afraid.

The cable leaving the telephone Exchange could be a 3600 pair cable ??. The further the cable 'travels' (from the Exchange to your premises), the smaller the 'pair count' becomes as it 'drops' the pairs at various cabinets and DP's (Telegraph Poles, Underground distribution).

Ergo, the ringtone you can hear (the clicking noise), could theoretically be anybody's, and not necessarily the same one you hear each time ??

What we can say, is that you definitely have a network fault, be that a low IR fault (Batt contact), or a HR fault (weak point susceptible to interference). Ring your CP.

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 08:16:44 AM »

That's what ee detected when they sent out an engineer, was battery contact but all the engineer said he did was a tie pair mod? If there was battery contact, wouldn't it fail the line test?. It does also look like it could be a hr fault, but I'm concerned as battery contact was what first detected, so I'm worried that they never fixed it.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »

Theoretically, a 'batt contact' fault should fail any test performed. Reality tells us different.

It all depends on the type of test being conducted (Low end Eclipse/Fast Test, or High end PQT), the amount of rogue voltage detected, and the parameter settings of the test system.
By way of an example I've had 12v battery contact show a 'LTOK' (Line test OK) result on Eclipse, but fail on the PQT.

Tie-pairs can indeed have the same fault conditions present that are prevalent in the network, but percentage wise, they would be in the very low percentages in comparison especially a 'batt contact'.
However, I'm not the engineer on site, and can only go off the info given to me by yourself. I have no idea what type of tests the previous engineer did, or what the total subsequent actions he performed ?.

I'm going to dip out now, and I refer you to the closing remark on my last post, on this thread. Cheers.  :)

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »

I think he did a Dsl close out test, he may have done a pqt test, if you can do it from the test socket, i cant remember. Thanks for the help anyway. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »

You really need to refer this issue back to your CP/ISP and have them return it as "fault still present" to Openreach.

There is absolutely nothing else anyone here can do to assist you. Sorry.   :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.