Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self-install VDSL services  (Read 10074 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Self-install VDSL services
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »

A 'Cut & Paste' ................

'As you know, the Hub 5 for BT Infinity with built in VDSL Modem has now launched which makes it possible for the customer to install their own BT Infinity. 

As part of a trial, on FTTC BT Infinity 1 orders we’ll now send the Hub 5, Micro Filters and Cables direct to the customer so they can install the equipment themselves. The engineer will complete the necessary work at the cabinet, but there’s no need for them to visit the house which will save the customer having to wait at home.
There are some exceptions.  If your customer is adding or changing their existing BT TV on the order or it’s a migration (MAC Provided) order, the Self Install option won’t be available.'

JShaw

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »

"Are you with BT at this moment for your copper broadband ??"

Yes. I get 18.2 Mbps download.

I use BT TV, but no change is required. I don't see why it should, it just needs a BT account and an internet connection as far as I'm aware.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »

I would suggest that that is where the confusion lies then ?

JShaw

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »

What's confusing? BT Vision didn't even come up when I spoke to BT.

"If your customer is adding or changing their existing BT TV on the order" doesn't apply. My request was simple - upgrade Broadband to to Infinity 1.

You seem to be hung up on this confusion thing without being able to say where the confusion is, how it has arisen, or why BT TV should be a problem. BT are supposed to be the experts but, as the length of the telephone conversation showed, they don't seem to be able to ask the right questions or provide a coherent explanation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:40:48 AM by JShaw »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »

What is it you are wanting from this forum then ?? There isn't anybody on here that can give an full and comprehensive answer, as we are not call-centre operatives.
I have tried to suggest that the only common factor between what you want, and BT's guidelines, is that you have BT TV and therefore that is where the confusion may be with the call-centre ??. Believe me, I'm not "Hung up" on your predicament, just ring them back and try again, asking for reasons should they be unable to progress the order.

JShaw

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »

BlackSheep:

I don't expect miracles, it was just possible that someone had had a similar experience and had found a solution. They haven't, so fair enough.

It seems clear to me that there is something wrong with BT's rollout of self-install, a possibility that you seem unable to countenance. Simply putting it down to confusion, which is usually a two-way street, is just plain patronising. I do know how to handle a telephone conversation but it is BT's job, not mine, to sell the service and try to overcome any problems that might arise.

Two neighbours within 100 yds got Infinity 2 before self install was supposedly introduced. The one I have spoken to said that installation went without a hitch and the engineer did b***** all (his words, not mine) in the house. Believe it or not, he even has BT vision. Haven't had a chance to speak to the other one.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

It wasn't intended to be patronising in any way, so if you've interpreted in that manner, that's an issue for yourself to address.

I am as much in the dark with 'Self-install' as you are, so I spent a little time trying to see if there was anything in our (BT's) systems that may help. I could only find the 'Cut & Paste' that I posted up on the thread, Also, having worked for BT for nearly 30yrs, and the level of incompetence that usually arises through poor training, I suggested that 'Confusion' may be the reason behind the fact the order couldn't be progressed.

I'm basically 'on your side', but you appear to see it as otherwise ?.

I don't quite follow the example you give about one of your neighbours ?? 'Self-install' is apparently only available on Infinity 1 products, and your neighbour is on Infinity 2. The installation also went without a hitch ......... fantastic, but I don't know the point you are trying to make ??
You want to self-install, your neighbour paid for a managed install ......... two different animals.

JShaw

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »

I'm getting tired of this thread and so are you, I suspect.

If you meant confusion within BT, that's different, but I still don't think it reads that way. Never mind.

The point I'm making is that if my neighbours, who are presumably on the same cabinet and at a similar distance, can get Infinity 2 without a problem, I find it surprising that Infinity 1 should be a problem for me. There's no evidence that my connection is any worse than theirs and my wiring couldn't be simpler. No extensions, nowt.

No point in flogging this to death however. I think I will get it in the end, either through Plusnet/whoever or BT. I just don't see why it should be such a struggle.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »

Just tho clarify, I read BS use of the term confusion as being at bt retails end, not yours.  Unfortunately its pretty well known that most of their 1st line support don't have a clue if its not on the screen in front of them.   

In some ways it concerns me that plusnet are taking on a whole shed load of new staff for their new Leeds call center.  Historically most of their staff have a good idea what's going on, but you'd still get the odd numpty who needed more staff.   It's good that they are recruiting and providing more jobs in the uk rather than foreign call centres, however with so many new staff at once it doesn't take a fortune teller to foresee come classic boobs will occur over the coming months.  :/

I do hope you get it sorted, all you can do is keep trying, because we know it should be possible.  Good luck.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 08:38:36 AM »

Plusnet staff are a higher level of common sense but at the same time they lack urgency when dealing with issues, I have multiple times had to raise things on their forums, of course I am only speaking of my own experience and this should be treated as opinion not fact.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything