Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Old ground ?? - HomeHub 5  (Read 4354 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Old ground ?? - HomeHub 5
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »

Can't remember if this has been covered, re: the amount of 1Gig ports ?? Cut & Paste below ...............

Hub 5 -- So what’s new?

It looks very similar to the BT Retail Hub 4, but the biggest difference is that it is a combined VDSL modem and router, which means you must not install a separate Openreach VDSL modem on FTTC installations. It has smart set-up technology, which means you don’t have to run a separate welcome CD when connecting a PC or laptop. The Hub 5 automatically detects that it’s a new installation and guides the end user through the software set-up process. There are also four separate 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports on the back and the next generation of WiFi.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:27:07 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Old ground ??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:47 AM »

Yes thanks BS, it was one of the first things I noticed. :)   
About time that BT twigged if you have an 80/40 connection and 100Mb on the horizon then 10/100 ports just dont cut it.   Ive been griping for yrs about this and couldnt understand why they didnt do it on the HH4.   

Its ridiculous that the wireless is capable of faster speeds than the LAN.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »

I've just checked with our 'Chief Engineers Office', and he confirms the modification was made as a, "result of Kitz's griping".  ;) :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »

hahah about damn time they listened  :D

I also wondered for a min if I spelt it right - i had  and no gripping was involved honest.  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »

I prefer to think of you 'gripping' the CE by the neck, and wringing it, until he agreed to an additional 3 GigE ports !!  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »

I propose a dose of Nurse Harvey's Gripe Water (late 1940s - early 1950s) for Kitz and for Black Sheep to be promoted to the position of Chief Engineer (with a 'hot-line' direct to The Cattery).  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »

:lol: :lol:
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »

:lol: I wish.  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »

I do have a thought at the back of my mind.

About 7-8 months back I had a engineer out to my property to investigate a instability issues I was having during the night, I had a discussion with asbokid about the events privately of this fault.  Well basically when the engineer showed up he seen my normal router was put aside and asked if I dont always use the hh3, I said yes and told him why (this visit was arranged by ian livingstone).  Some days later I had a phone call of his department about it and not longer after ian emailed me asking what was wrong with the home hub 3, and I just said it lacked enough gigabit ports for my lan, and he asked why thats a problem, so I told him the router isnt just for transferring internet data but also between devices on the lan.  Fast forward some months and the hh5 has gigabit ports :D

With all that said and done tho how much I like to think I am responsible I think the reason is the FTTP service, they want a router that can avoid been the bottleneck both wired and wireless for that service.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:54:54 AM »

....instability issues I was having during the night....
Yeah, I know what you mean! I used to keep falling off; now I just drop off to sleep. >:D :)  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »

Chrysalis ….  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »

I'll hopefully be ordering from one of these soon from 'a famous auction site' so I can have a play. Four gigabit ports will be a nice upgrade from the 1 on the HH3 (and the 0 on the HG612!!!!).

james

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »

The VRX268 spec sheet shows it supports 1-4 Fast Ethernet or 1-2 Gigabit Ethernet via 2 configurable PHYs and previous chipsets were similar. This could be why Fast Ethernet has been the norm for so long.

Maybe the VRX268 (version 1.2.1) in the HH5A was upgraded to 4 PHYs at BT's request?