Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Storm  (Read 8654 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The Storm
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 07:17:10 AM »

Here near Ashford it's now quite windy, but nothing to get excited about yet. We'll see how it develops over the next few hours.
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »

Is that Ashford Kent?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 07:42:30 AM »

Well just watched SE News on BBC1 and the Port of Dover has just closed which means sustained wind speeds over 60mph. Here in Broadstairs my max gust today so far is a tad under 50mph since 5:30am and most recently at 7:25am. Maximum average speed so far was 37mph at 7:25am, so it looks like our worst time so far has been the past couple of hours and I suspect it might get a bit worse before it starts to calm down.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »

Is that Ashford Kent?

That's right.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »

Just heard that Manston has recorded a 70mph gust. Not really surprising that we see higher wind speeds there, it is normal to see low level wind speeds drop in built up areas when compared with an airfield.

Stuart

Just been checking my graphs and it looks like the barometer started rising slowly just about 7am, this indicates the centre of the low has now passed us, however there are often stronger winds on the back edge of a low pressure as indicated by the recent gusts at Manston and Langdon Bay (near Dover) which is unconfirmed but was said to be 100+ mph.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:14:52 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »

I think we got off lightly.   Pretty calm whenever I awoke, until 6am.   Then it was a bit scary for a half hour or so, confirmed by met office data logging gust of 61mph quite close to me.   

Been out for a walk around the place.   A couple of fence panels down, but trees all OK.  The fence panels look salvageable, just broken free from the battens that hold them to the posts.  Suppose I better get to work on that before they fall apart any more.   :)

No comparison at all with 1987 for me then, though others may have different experience.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

Been raining here but now stopped and nothing more than breezy.

According to BBC weather,a gust of 99mph was recorded at the Needles.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »

A friend on the Isle of Wight got a gust of 84 knots on his home "weather station" before the anemometer broke. Met office are apparently reporting 92mph as the maximum gust recorded, so its in the right ballpark.

In NW Leicester we've had 21mm of rain in the last 9 hours with another 10mm or so coming. That's on top of what is already the wettest October ever recorded in Leicestershire - we're at 115mm rainfall for the month and rising.

Back garden resembles a swamp in places, after the work done on the front this year that part of the garden is OK(ish). Going to put some land drains in at the back next year to improve the drainage problems.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »

Here it is somewhat breezy, but there is a cloudy blue sky. Our road suffers run-off with debris from the common at its end, but there is less than normally experienced after heavy rain. However, a mile away the other side of town my daughter says there is some damage to a neighbour's house to roof and fence.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »

All I have to report is that things were just a little gusty between 0830 and 1000 hours this morning.

Twigs and small branches just need to be cleared from the grass 'out front'.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »

It seems to have gone around where I live, leaving us fairly unscathed. Just a few miles away in all directions there were trees down and other damage, but hardly anything around here.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »

Well, a storm in a tea-cup.

Up North, we just call this weather ......... but our counterparts 'darn sarf', get all giddy when it rains for more than ten minutes, or the wind gets above a gentle breeze.  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »

Well, a storm in a tea-cup.

Up North, we just call this weather ......... but our counterparts 'darn sarf', get all giddy when it rains for more than ten minutes, or the wind gets above a gentle breeze.  ;D

And all us Northerners have experienced over the last couple of days has been a bad spell of whether  :lol:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:21 PM »

Up North, we just call this weather .........

Qualify 'North'  ;)

Anybody else remember the real 'great storm', which for some reason rarely gets mentioned?   110mph winds sweeping through one of Britain's biggest cities...

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/209637-memories-of-hurricane-low-q-45-years-after-it-struck-the-city/

I do remember hardly a house in our street escaped undamaged, many neighbours had miraculous escapes as chimney pots came crashing through the lathe and plaster ceilings onto their pillows.   Others were less fortunate. :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

Up North, we just call this weather .........

Qualify 'North'  ;)

Anybody else remember the real 'great storm', which for some reason rarely gets mentioned?   110mph winds sweeping through one of Britain's biggest cities...

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/209637-memories-of-hurricane-low-q-45-years-after-it-struck-the-city/

I do remember hardly a house in our street escaped undamaged, many neighbours had miraculous escapes as chimney pots came crashing through the lathe and plaster ceilings onto their pillows.   Others were less fortunate. :(

I can't remember that 7LM but vaguely remember the gales that hit Sheffield in 1962 ( I was 10 at the time)We lived in a basic 2 up 2 down terraced house and I think the worse damage we suffered was a few missing slates.

http://secretsheffield.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/the-great-sheffield-gale-1962/

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffieldgale1962.htm
Pages: 1 [2] 3