Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 210276 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

The current config is stored in /var/curcfg.xml.

The curcfg.xml file looks identical to a saved config file.  Don't go to any trouble but do you know have any idea how curcfg.xml is used? 

I ask as I  wonder on whether AnnexM might be added as a valid dsl type.  AnnexM is available via xdslcmd configure or start with "--mod m" or for all --mod dlt2pmv" and works. It would be nice save that config but as very few use annex m it is not worth much effort achieving it.

zhadoom

• 38/4 Mb/s - HG612
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »

Well...

I have found the same firmware that my HG610 come in the docs.google.com ( https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wW18mYskvBWnQ4V1BrRGRRblE ).
Flashed my HG610 with the experimental firmware by Howlingwolf to see what happened  ;) . Version unlockedgui - nobtagent.

First look:
1- the gui works, but many operations show errors "WEB 0 unknows error". I can't save settings.
2- the four ethernet ports are working

@Howlingwolf
Since I can't save permanently the settings and the only setting that need to be changed to operate at my provider is VLANID=600 ( GVT - Brasil ) could you assemble a custom version with this setting ?  :blush:  I use the modem in bridge mode with a tplink wdr4300 managing pppoe.

Edit. The new binary shows downstream attenuation instead of 0 like the previous firmwares.

Edit2. Connected sucessfuly to the internet using the modem in bridge and pppoe via windows7. The settings bind port1 to the connection but only works in port4 in hg610.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:57:24 PM by zhadoom »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »

Edit. I just found at Huawei website a pretty recent opensource firmware file for HG610. http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcxNjk=
Dated 2013-05-07
HUAWEI_VERSION=EchoLife_
HUAWEI_PRODUCTCLASS="HG610"
HUAWEI_RELEASE=HG610V100R001C02B011
HUAWEI_EXTRAVERSION=V100R001C02B011
HUAWEI_BATCHNUMBER=BC2P0.011.A2pv6C033f.d22g

You may want to see what Howlingwolf or other say but I would guess that you would be better off trying the updated firmware that you mentioned in your post.  That looks like the 033 blob which is also in the HG622 and performs well.  With the 038 version your trying at the moment you most likely won't get much, if any, extra benefit and the HG610 specific firmware ought to have the real advantage of working correctly.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2013, 03:45:25 AM »

That string doesn't seem to exist in the B030SP06_unlocked firmware. However there is a line starting:

<WANPTMLinkConfig Enable="1"

which seems to confirm that the PTM interface is active at present.

In /var/curcfg.xmlI I only have a WANDSLLinkConfig Enable="1" and WANPTMLinkConfig Enable is absent, I guess this is consistent with a single sync. Out of interest I will do some tests to try to change the WANxxxLinkConfigs in this file.

That makes sense and is something I really should have thought of myself  :-[

FTTC is an 'ethernet' connection, while all variations of adsl are ATM. A different beast entirely.

I've reinstalled the HG612 with B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent firmware and checked the memory usage (all values are kB)

Code: [Select]
                Used    Free    Shared    Buffers    Cached
                ----    ----    ------    -------    ------

Not connected, with GUI:    22428    6328    0    2188    6480
Not connected, GUI killed:    21840    6904    0    2188    6484
Connected, with GUI        22844    5900    0    2244    6700
Connected, GUI killed        22220    6524    0    2244    6704

In all cases remote devices failed to receive internet data. So the problem isn't the presence of the GUI as such, nor would it seem to be a memory issue.

Having killed the GUI, I'd like to try restarting it, but I'm not sure how to do that. The command appears to be /bin/web, but however I execute that command it doesn't work.

[*** Sorry about the formatting - it looked OK on preview]

Very odd indeed...  That is certainly the correct command.

Can you check the MD5 sum of the firmware image matches this: 7e4d07f0c7e9264342a5c6b5f97b4663

The current config is stored in /var/curcfg.xml.

The curcfg.xml file looks identical to a saved config file.  Don't go to any trouble but do you know have any idea how curcfg.xml is used? 

I ask as I  wonder on whether AnnexM might be added as a valid dsl type.  AnnexM is available via xdslcmd configure or start with "--mod m" or for all --mod dlt2pmv" and works. It would be nice save that config but as very few use annex m it is not worth much effort achieving it.

I suspect curcfg.xml is created during the boot process either from the 'config blocks' in the flashmem or /etc/defaultcfg.xml if those are blank, but I can't say for sure. It does occur to me that it's probably the source for the save config option, so I suppose it stands to reason that they would be identical.

As it happens I do know where to set that option in the config :)  It showed up in the initial diff I ran against the default configs as it's one of the things which has changed between B0280SP10 and B030SP06.

Look for a line which starts '<WANDSLInterfaceConfig'. Near the end is 'ConfigMode' which contains a list of modulation options.

Unfortunately I don't know if an option for Annex M exists in the cli binary. However I will take a look and get back to you on that as soon as I can.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:12:08 AM by Howlingwolf »

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2013, 04:11:28 AM »

Well...

I have found the same firmware that my HG610 come in the docs.google.com ( https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wW18mYskvBWnQ4V1BrRGRRblE ).
Flashed my HG610 with the experimental firmware by Howlingwolf to see what happened  ;) . Version unlockedgui - nobtagent.

First look:
1- the gui works, but many operations show errors "WEB 0 unknows error". I can't save settings.

@Howlingwolf
Since I can't save permanently the settings and the only setting that need to be changed to operate at my provider is VLANID=600 ( GVT - Brasil ) could you assemble a custom version with this setting ?  :blush:  I use the modem in bridge mode with a tplink wdr4300 managing pppoe.

Edit. The new binary shows downstream attenuation instead of 0 like the previous firmwares.

Edit2. Connected sucessfuly to the internet using the modem in bridge and pppoe via windows7. The settings bind port1 to the connection but only works in port4 in hg610.

Thank you for trying that. I must admit I did expect some problems as this firmware is built specifically for BT. An organisation which could give lessons in anti-social behavior to Microsoft.

A custom image...  Um... Yes. I probably could but I'm not sure that's wise given the errors you're experiencing. The saving config issue is of particular concern as that operation appears to write directly to the flashmem on the HG612.

I have to agree with les about using the correct firmware. The benefit of having an interface which works properly probably outweighs any potential benefits from the 038 blob.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2013, 07:46:55 AM »

Can you check the MD5 sum of the firmware image matches this: 7e4d07f0c7e9264342a5c6b5f97b4663

$ md5sum bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent
7e4d07f0c7e9264342a5c6b5f97b4663  bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent

Yes, it matches.

I guess I need to make sure that there isn't an issue with the hardware. I'll try flashing this with other versions of the firmware, starting with B030SP06_unlockedgui.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:52:37 AM by roseway »
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »

The 'B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent' seems to have disappeared from the download page linked previously, or am I just being silly?

zhadoom

• 38/4 Mb/s - HG612
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »

Well...

First look:

@Howlingwolf

Thank you for trying that. I must admit I did expect some problems as this firmware is built specifically for BT. An organisation which could give lessons in anti-social behavior to Microsoft.

A custom image...  Um... Yes. I probably could but I'm not sure that's wise given the errors you're experiencing. The saving config issue is of particular concern as that operation appears to write directly to the flashmem on the HG612.

I have to agree with les about using the correct firmware. The benefit of having an interface which works properly probably outweighs any potential benefits from the 038 blob.

Anyway thanks for your work.
I'm yet to try the experimental firmware in my HG612 but not much time to do this since this modem is in my primary internet connection.

My major curiosity about the 038 blob is if it add support to vectoring.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »

The 'B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent' seems to have disappeared from the download page linked previously, or am I just being silly?

It's in the Experimental folder: https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w!jB5BxYqA
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

It's in the Experimental folder: https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w!jB5BxYqA

I'm still not seeing it. Here's what I get:

zhadoom

• 38/4 Mb/s - HG612
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

The file is inside "Experimental" folder. Click in "Experimental" to see the contents.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »

The file is inside "Experimental" folder. Click in "Experimental" to see the contents.

Oh, silly, silly me! I completely missed that.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »

All,

Whilst I was setting up the 'ATM' settings on the HG612, I happened upon the 'Service type:' option, for which there is drop-down menu. This menu has four options: 'UBR without PCR', 'CBR', 'Non Realtime VBR' and 'Realtime VBR'. These all have three options, except for 'UBR without PCR' which has none. I therefore assume that most people choose this option.

Do the other options have any benefit?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:37:40 PM by AlecR »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2013, 11:01:32 PM »

CBR = Constant bit rate
VBR = Variable bit rate (which can be real time or not)
UBR = Unspecified bit rate
PCR = Peak cell rate

I suspect (but don't know) that UBR without PCR is the only option which will work with current UK systems. There's quite a bit of information here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk39/tk51/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094cd0.shtml and associated pages.

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »

I suspect (but don't know) that UBR without PCR is the only option which will work with current UK systems.

That was also my suspicion when I first investigated those options.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

anything