Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 210330 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »

t I was unsuccessful. For example, --maxdatarate 50000 15000 0 didn't make any difference and the values were still 0 when checking --cfg.

If you try smaller values e.g. on adsl2  "--maxDataRate 1500 150 160  or 150 15 160 the values DO show when checking with --cfg but don't seem to make any difference!!   I am also not sure what maxaggrdatarate might be.  Maybe something else also needs enabling at the same time?

Edit ----- In fact it does not like maxaggrdatarate being zero, that seems to be the issue with it not showing with --cfg, - I changed two things at once!! I have tried a wide rage of values now but with no impact. Be aware that this gives a resync every time you try it.  Not a problem on TT but would be for some experimenters.

I see, interesting. I will play around with it on my VDSL2 connection later tonight when it's quiet on my home network. The parameter 'maxaggrdatarate' I can only assume is the maximum aggregated (total) data rate. So, for example, if I did --maxdatarate 50000 15000 65000 then presumably that would work (but I expect it won't), as 50000 + 15000 = 65000. That's my theory anyway.

As I managed to break DLM on my own BT FTTC connection anyway it makes no odds to me. I'm always 60/20 with no interleaving.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »

can you guys using B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent do this test? thanks

enable QoS in gui (if disabled) do a upload speedtest.
then disable QoS in gui, do another speedtest and confirm you get roughly extra 10% speed.

thanks

toggling QoS doesnt restart connection.

It didn't make any difference here. I assume that you meant us to simply tick or untick the QoS option, without setting up any actual QoS parameters?

correct, on the asbokid firmware, there is no need to tick an apply or anything, just toggling the tickbox is enough.

If you seeing no difference its a sign that setting isnt working.

When I eventually install my MK2 I will change my firmware at same time and try QoS toggling myself.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »

Likewise - nothing significant

QOS
on      down 14.52 up 1.48
                 14.54    1.50

off             14.59    1.48
                 14.53    1.50

on             14.53    1.50
                14.56    1.50     

off            14.59    1.49   
                14.54    1.50 

What were you expecting to happen?   (I notice that my HG622 completely loses internet access with QOS turned on and default settings.  The ethernet connection looks fine but no internet. )

on the default firmware (locked) QoS reduces throughput on upload by approx 10% regardless of sync speed, so if eg. a 2mbit upload you get 1.8mbit throughput with default behaviour.

The workaround was to untick QoS on the asbokid firmware which restored the missing 10% speed.

So basically I see 2 possibilities.

Either the setting isnt working, or on the new firmware BT adjusted the default QoS rules so the loss of throughput no longer happens with it enabled.  It might be better if someone who has previously disabled QoS can test so they have a comparison or at least someone with a full 20 sync.

I am currently not keen on swapping out my firmware because my attainable is low enough I know when I do anything I will recconect at a lower speed, otherwise I would try myself.

unaszplodrmann

• Just arrived
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »

I had QoS disabled before receiving the update and have been surprised by throughput tests in the last couple of days. speedtest.net repeatedly returned stupidly high upload rates, so I tried thinkbroadband too, and their tester is also returning very high figures:

Plusnet's own test is showing around 17.4 Mbit/s, which is, as I understand, about the maximum throughput one could hope to attain, taking overheads into account. I'm curious as to why the other two are returning higher figures.

Is it possible to toggle QoS via telnet?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »

I had QoS disabled before receiving the update and have been surprised by throughput tests in the last couple of days. speedtest.net repeatedly returned stupidly high upload rates, so I tried thinkbroadband too, and their tester is also returning very high figures:

Plusnet's own test is showing around 17.4 Mbit/s, which is, as I understand, about the maximum throughput one could hope to attain, taking overheads into account. I'm curious as to why the other two are returning higher figures.

I'm also generally seeing upload rates of over 18 megabits with the updated firmware, interestingly.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »

I'm pleased to say that 'xdslcmd configure1 --maxDataRate x x x' works on VDSL2 fine here.

I'll test various speeds, given DLM doesn't effect my connection anyway. Attached are two current stats images, one to show me synced at my normal connection speed of roughly 60/20, the other to show my test speed I set at 45/14. Interestingly I was able to sync below the minimum sync rate (40,000 Kbps downstream) on one of the tests (not attached).

Results:
Original - 0000 - No limits set.
Speedtest.net result - http://www.speedtest.net/result/3062068219.png
*will get BRAS information later, according to mouselike's website I have to wait a few hours since the last request I made, so check the attached images instead*

Test Limits - 0730 - Limits set with 'xdslcmd configure1 --maxDataRate 45000 14000 59000'.
Speedtest.net result - http://www.speedtest.net/result/3062055684.png
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 43.56 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

Notes:
--Ginp accepts: 0x0, 0x1, 0x2, 0x3 | Presumably 0x0 means Ds and Us G.INP are disabled/unsupported, where 0x3 means Ds and Us G.INP are enabled/supported.
--maxDataRate was successfully tested with an example such as: --maxDataRate 45000 14000 59000 | This produced a DS rate of almost 45,000 Kbps, an upstream rate of almost 14,000 Kbps.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:48:28 AM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2013, 02:52:57 AM »

on a 20mbit sync I would expect close to 19mbps on speedtests.

Here is my tbb test with QoS off on asbokid firmware, so in my view your result suggests QoS no longer affects upload speeds.

If you do a test on speedtest.net on ookla NL server I expect you would hit 19mbps+.  Also if you have something like dumeter installed to show live traffic you should be hitting 2.4mB/sec.

results below with QoS ticked (I just ticked not hit apply). 2.1mB/sec in dumeter.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:09:59 AM by Chrysalis »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »

I still cannot get maxDataRate to work on my TT LLU connection with annex m.  To retain annex m and not just get a sync failure I have to use a dual instruction with --mod m included - see below.  It does not matter whether -mod m is first or last.  If I don't use --mod m  as well, even if it already enabled beforehand,  xdslcmd profile --show,  shows annex m is disabled and all other options are enabled with --mod m the opposite is true and only annex m is enabled. With past firmwares annex m could be included in the full list of all options but now it only works if used on its own.

eg  "xdslcmd configure --mod m --maxDataRate 15000 1500 16500"                   retains annex m capability but provides no maxdatarate

Perhaps Roseway or another on adsl2 who does not mind resyncs could try eg   "xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 10000 1000 11000"  or numbers that make sense and provide a cap.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »

Perhaps Roseway or another on adsl2 who does not mind resyncs could try eg   "xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 10000 1000 11000"  or numbers that make sense and provide a cap.
I'll try to have a look at that later today.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

I notice the config file is editable and could let you change some things not available on the gui. 

e.g. the gui dsl settings are stuck on ALL and can't be changed. However individual settings can be selected by editing the config file line with ConfigMode i.e. ConfigMode="ALL" to e.g. Configmode="ADSL2+,VDSL". on upload those boxes are then ticked in the gui and xdslcmd profile --show confirms this.  I also tried adding AnnexM but without any effect.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »

I notice the config file is editable and could let you change some things not available on the gui. 

e.g. the gui dsl settings are stuck on ALL and can't be changed. However individual settings can be selected by editing the config file line with ConfigMode i.e. ConfigMode="ALL" to e.g. Configmode="ADSL2+,VDSL". on upload those boxes are then ticked in the gui and xdslcmd profile --show confirms this.  I also tried adding AnnexM but without any effect.

How does one successfully edit the curcfg.xml file? I tried using vi (through Putty, both Telnet and SSH) but I am getting wierd effects when trying to use vi as I would on a normal Linux O/S.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »

I used wordpad in windows xp. That gives a readable file and saves worked for me.

edit----     vi for windows also works for me
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:30:37 PM by les-70 »

D-an-W

• Just arrived
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:58 AM »

Everything looks ok here so far, been connected for two days (Not done anything more than I usually do with the GUI). Now I just need to get my line to reset...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:50 AM »

I've tried using the maxDataRate option on my TT ADSL2+ connection, and although it forced an immediate resync it didn't change anything. I tried xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 6000 900 7000 and it reconnected at 7104/1016. xdslcmd info --cfg shows the three values unchanged at zero.

[Edited to correct the 'configure' command]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:33:36 AM by roseway »
  Eric

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »

I've tried using the maxDataRate option on my TT ADSL2+ connection, and although it forced an immediate resync it didn't change anything. I tried xdslcmd configure 6000 900 7000 and it reconnected at 7104/1016. xdslcmd info --cfg shows the three values unchanged at zero.

Perhaps it doesn't work for ADSLx connections and only VDSLx.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

anything