Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.  (Read 206436 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: HG612 new firmware - Preliminary results.
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

pfft....  I know what I really think.  Come on the modems were locked with no access on the LAN, so why be concerned about the WAN side.  So we have a select group of users who were targeted.

But hey its all speculation eh?  and they fixed whatever they needed to fix.  right?  >:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

One2Go

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »

Hi mate no worries at all.
I did wonder what happened
I tried it over and over and nothing  . it flashes it ok but no access.

Please let me know when you are ready. Thanks

I have a question still
While i was having trouble with your image(broken as you said) I decided to reflash the original from asbokid and still no access no telnet . this is the image i am now using to access the net the modem works fine still
I wonder what has happened? mind you i do have original modem ECI /r  from BT locked up in a safe for SOS moment

If you still can't get access after flashing Asbokid's unlocked image then it might be a config issue.  Try restoring the default settings by pressing and holding the reset button for ~10 seconds. You'll then be starting from a known good configuration and can proceed from there.

As far as I've been able to determine the broken mksquashfs tool only affects one very specific file and certainly wouldn't block telnet access. I didn't even known I'd made a mistake until I starting testing a new build which included that file and I did test the images before 'posting' them.

he minor version/'stepping' number to revert to a lower value if the major version/build number has increased.
Many thanks for your hard work much appreciated
I have now managed to unlock it following your advice  and the stats are very impressive taken into account that i messed around with modem few times last night and today . my speed only went down by few mbs so it looks good.
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »

will the fixed firmware be labeled differently on the site to download?

Sorry. Perhaps I could have made that clearer.

It's already done. The 'new' version has the same filename with a later upload time (2013-10-24 17:40).

I didn't want to have multiple versions of the same firmware hanging around, (xxx_unlocked, xxx_unlocked-fixed, xxx_unlocked-003). Particularly as there may be a new... new version soon. It could get confusing  :-\

ok to be safe I will wipe what I got on my hdd and just redownload them then.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2013, 04:58:50 AM »

If need be, make things read only so plebs dont accidentally edit what they dont need to...if thats what it takes.  But please don't take away the ability to monitor what our lines are doing, from those who are competent to do things and not go whining to BT if something breaks.
Over the years the ability to monitor line stats in conjunction with tools such as RS/DSLstats/Modem Stats  & forums like this must have saved BT an absolute fortune in diagnostics.  Not to mention how many people have been helped on forums such as this saving time and trouble and expense to ISP help desks.    Its totally counter-productive.

Yes, indeed. It would be nice to have some sort of mechanism by which we could request access to restricted information and/or functions even if we had to demonstrate a degree of technical competence first.

But as I think it was Black Sheep who pointed out somewhere here. There needs to be a clear business case when you have umpteen million customers, most of whom are thick as two short planks. And not always solely in respect to technical matters  :-\

well BT retail deal with end users not openreach and BT retail have seen fit to include stats on the home hub 5. Error stats are missing as well as whats visible via the cli commands to show interleaving depth etc. but the attitude from BT retail is different to openreach's lock it all off motto.

Plus it must be a tiny % of the so called thick customers who even bother trying to view connection stats.  So in that case there is no need to block as they wont even try to look.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »

At the moment I'm trying to test as many of the gui options as I can while watching for errors on the serial console. It's rather slow going  :'(

If it would help at all. I, and I suspect others, would be happy to test drive a web GUI version to help see what works and does not. 

D-an-W

• Just arrived
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013, 08:15:22 AM »

Thanks for the effort put into all this folks, great work Howlingwolf  ;D

A couple of n00b questions if thats ok...

During the update I lost the Web Interface but retained Telnet access so am I right in saying I have "bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_original" and if I was to do a master reset I would loose Telnet access?

To rectify this I should flash "bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlocked" or would "bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10_no-btagent" be of more benefit to me?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »

D-an-W

Not sure if I am the right person or know enough to reply but no web and but just telnet is also obtained with bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlocked and if so telnet won't lost with hard reset.
 Otherwise if you have  bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_original what you say is true.

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10_no-btagent is essentially Asbo's new blob version with a few extra changes, however while that version  lacks any benefits of the latest 038 broadcom code it does have the web interface.  Benefit depends on what you want -if it just stats and telnet and no need for web access I would guess ...B030SP06_unlocked maybe best for you but unless you do hard reset you may be fine as you are.   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »

Although B030SP06_unlocked doesn't have a GUI interface, it's fully supported by DSLstats and HG612-stats, so you'll still be able to get all the information you need about the performance of your connection. The only bit of information you can't get from the CLI is the firmware version. :)
  Eric

One2Go

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »

Although B030SP06_unlocked doesn't have a GUI interface, it's fully supported by DSLstats and HG612-stats, so you'll still be able to get all the information you need about the performance of your connection. The only bit of information you can't get from the CLI is the firmware version. :)
you can  get that info  via telnet:

Copyright by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Login:admin
Password:
ATP>sh

BusyBox v1.9.1 (2013-06-01 18:30:08 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# xdslcmd info -- version
xdslcmd: too many parameters
# xdslcmd info -- version
xdslcmd: too many parameters
# xdslcmd info --version
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 15709 Kbps, Downstream rate = 70784 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 16011 Kbps, Downstream rate = 63415 K

xdslcmd version 1.0
DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
******* Pass *********
#
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »

I have been following this with interest as I have a spare HG612 which still is unlocked as I dont currently use it. I was thinking of trying the new f/w but since I am on ADSL2+ with TT I guess setting it up without the GUI is problematic, or at least time consuming using telnet. I am hoping the GUI version will become available soon, and if testing is required of the GUI I'd be happy to help.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »

you can  get that info  via telnet:
... etc

You're right of course. I didn't think that was the firmware version, but having checked on another HG612 which does have a GUI interface, I see that I was wrong.
  Eric

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »

If need be, make things read only so plebs dont accidentally edit what they dont need to...if thats what it takes.  But please don't take away the ability to monitor what our lines are doing, from those who are competent to do things and not go whining to BT if something breaks.
Over the years the ability to monitor line stats in conjunction with tools such as RS/DSLstats/Modem Stats  & forums like this must have saved BT an absolute fortune in diagnostics.  Not to mention how many people have been helped on forums such as this saving time and trouble and expense to ISP help desks.    Its totally counter-productive.

Yes, indeed. It would be nice to have some sort of mechanism by which we could request access to restricted information and/or functions even if we had to demonstrate a degree of technical competence first.

But as I think it was Black Sheep who pointed out somewhere here. There needs to be a clear business case when you have umpteen million customers, most of whom are thick as two short planks. And not always solely in respect to technical matters  :-\

well BT retail deal with end users not openreach and BT retail have seen fit to include stats on the home hub 5. Error stats are missing as well as whats visible via the cli commands to show interleaving depth etc. but the attitude from BT retail is different to openreach's lock it all off motto.

Plus it must be a tiny % of the so called thick customers who even bother trying to view connection stats.  So in that case there is no need to block as they wont even try to look.

Sadly it's not the majority, (thick or otherwise :P), which is the problem. There is a small but very vocal minority who will insist on tampering with things they don't understand and then scream blue murder because it no longer works.

It's never their fault of course and anyone who suggests otherwise had better be prepared for the consequences of that ill-advised suggestion. Abusive phone calls, abusive emails, hysterical complaints to supervisor/manager/director, dog excrement through the mail...  :-\

During the update I lost the Web Interface but retained Telnet access so am I right in saying I have "bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_original" and if I was to do a master reset I would loose Telnet access?

Yes. That file is simply the original Openreach update extracted from a binary dump of the flashmem.

To rectify this I should flash "bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlocked" or would "bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10_no-btagent" be of more benefit to me?

Hmm... The key question at the moment is how important the gui is to you. If it's something you can't live without then B028SP10_nobtagent is probably best until we're certain the new gui version (see below) is stable and works correctly.

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10_no-btagent is essentially Asbo's new blob version with a few extra changes,

Don't worry. I wasn't in any danger of getting a swelled head over this  :lol:

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
Experimental gui versions
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »

An experimental version of the new firmware with GUI restored is now available for testing.

The following MEGA folder now contains an additional sub-folder containing the following files:

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui
bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent

https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w

Both of these contain all of the config/gui fixes from my previous builds. The essential difference is the presence/absence of the BTAgent.

I must stress that these are Experimental.

I've tested them as far as I could and didn't find any problems. That of course, does not mean that none exist. They could be just hiding, waiting to pounce when you least expect it  ;)

As always, let me know if there are any problems, comments, suggestions, etc.

Please see this thread for latest firmware updates (Aug 2014)
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14262.0

[edited by Admin to point to new firmware version]

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:59:06 PM by kitz »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »

I've downloaded them, and I'll give one of them a try tomorrow.
  Eric

D-an-W

• Just arrived
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

Thanks Howlingwolf, to be honest I could happily live without the GUI if it meant the possibility of more speed  >:D

It's been that long since I updated the firmware I need to read up on how I did it last time so I can have a go  ;)

EDIT: Am I following this guide http://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf again or can it be done via Telnet as I still have access?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:48:55 PM by D-an-W »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

anything