Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Highest speed ever, but alas short-lived.  (Read 2161 times)

Mick

• Reg Member
Highest speed ever, but alas short-lived.
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »

Hi All,

With the recent stormy weather my area experienced yet another power cut.  Our village is double fed, so a secondary feed from a different substation kicked in 10-20 minutes later.  Other villages on the same telephone exchange did not get power until later in the evening.  When power came back in our village I looked at the router to see what I got speed wise and almost fell off my chair!  For the first time ever we had a full 8128 kbps sync rate with an SNRM of 8.6dB.  The downstream speed did not increase immediately, because the BRAS profile would take time to adjust on the 20CN DSLAM.

However, as soon as the nearby villages had power our SNRM reduced to our usual 6dB and the BRAS profile did not adjust upward to 7168.  Tomorrow it would be 7 days since the storm, shouldn't the profile have adjusted by now?

I could switch off the router that does the PPPoE authentication at the ISP off for a while, to refresh my login session with them (but leave the modem on of course) and see if the profile will adjust upwards.  I don't want to resync the modem because I know that with a 6dB SNRM I will get at best a 7616kbps sync rate, rather than the 8218 I got last time.

Can you explain this phenomenon and advise if I will ever get a correspondingly high downstream speed following this high sync rate event?

PS.  I would go and ask the nearby villages to switch off their electricity supply on a more permanent basis, but I'm guessing I will be pushing my luck!   :shoot:
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Highest speed ever, but alas short-lived.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised if crosstalk factored in there.

The fact that the other villages werent able to connect means less cross-talk at the DSLAM/MSAN.  Over several years I lost circa 3Mbps of sync speed on adsl2+ which I attributed to cross-talk.   The more users thats connected to your DSLAM, then the more cross-talk there will be, and your SNR will be better.

I could switch off the router that does the PPPoE authentication at the ISP off for a while,

Before doing this, have you checked on the BTw Performance check to see what your IPprofile should be?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 6.29 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

What now?   ???
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »

You need to access the further diagnostics to be able to get your IP profile.

Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Looks like your going to have to try again. :(

Picking up a new PPP session may pick up the new profile (if there is one).
but you may have to do a resync..  in which case you are in a catch 22 situation as the resync could give a lower connection speed which isnt what you wanted. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker