Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microsoft do not recommend their MSE  (Read 2453 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Microsoft do not recommend their MSE
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »

Came across this Major Geeks article that seemingly advises use of third party software!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Microsoft do not recommend their MSE
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »

Good link - thanks renluop

This topic about MSE was brought up a couple of weeks ago...  and I debated at the time my own use of MSE.   I like it, its lightweight and doesnt have all the bells and whistles of some AV suites that just plain annoy me. 

I stated in that post that I wanted a good AV and wasnt bothered about the rest as I ran other methods for Malware...  nor do I want one of those that slows everything down by advance checking links of every possible result that comes up on a google search.  Prefetching every possible result to me is a waste of resources.  I just want an AV that does real time checking and only checks the item Im about to open not a zillion other things.

This report seems to confirm that MSE is the AV for me.  It says that MSE is a "high quality AV", but it falls down on all the other nanny watch & mollycoddle bolt ons that Im just not interested in. 

Now, if you’re a geek like we are, MSE and Windows Defender are very usable. If you have good security practices and know what you’re doing, you can manage just fine with this lightweight option. But average Windows users don’t always follow proper security practices and should use a strong antivirus that does well in tests — as Microsoft themselves now recommend.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker