Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Difference between line speed Maximum and actual line speed?  (Read 1411 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Difference between line speed Maximum and actual line speed?
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »

It's interesting when you encounter something and realise you have no idea what it means, and realise you really should know something about it.

That scenario happened to me yesterday.

A friend on ADSL2+ said their Skype video calls were of poor quality (outbound, quality reported by other people).  I had a look at their line stats, and what immediately leapt out was the up synch speed was only 443.

But the router was also reporting was a Max speed as well as the current speed.

In this case, the figures are :

Max up : 1144
Max Down : 11108
Actual Up : 443
Actual Down : 11032

The router had been in synch for 75 days.  Rebooting it resulted in very very slightly different numbers, but easily within margin of error.

None of the routers I've tinkered with in the past seem to report a difference of Max and actual. (why?)

What does max vs actual actually showing?  And any idea why there should be such a large difference between the max and actual figures for the up speed, which seems to me to be the cause of the poor video quality on Skype calls.

Thanks for any suggestions

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Difference between line speed Maximum and actual line speed?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

Not all routers report the max attainable value, but Broadcom-based routers generally do. It's the theoretical connection speed which would be achieved if the router were to re-sync at that time with a nominal target SNRM (probably 6 dB).

In your friend's case, the upstream speed may be subject to a profile which caps the speed.
  Eric

anything