Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: New VDSL plate  (Read 60919 times)

neilius

• Reg Member
Re: New VDSL plate
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »

Yep I'm on ADSL2+, was interested to see if this filter made any difference, especially with the interference rejection that's been added.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »

Were you, should you have been surprised int worked on ADSL?

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »

Just for you, b*cat:

I had a very close look at my old SSFP and it turns out that the mystery PS1 component is a KT250-145BL resettable fuse, providing over-current protection. Looks like it's in line with the green ferrite and the B wire (assuming that big yellow capacitor is for ringing current as that's where the trace goes to) on the filtered side of the circuit.

http://www.betterfuse.com/products/html/detail-00140.html

renluop, I wasn't sure what difference it would make but it's nice having a decent filtering solution on the line anyway. These SSFPs do help ADSL a little bit in some cases too and are compatible with it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2013, 10:03:37 PM »

mine came today but not using it yet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

Just for you, b*cat:

I had a very close look at my old SSFP and it turns out that the mystery PS1 component is a KT250-145BL resettable fuse, providing over-current protection. Looks like it's in line with the green ferrite and the B wire (assuming that big yellow capacitor is for ringing current as that's where the trace goes to) on the filtered side of the circuit.

http://www.betterfuse.com/products/html/detail-00140.html

Thank you Neil. That's another little mystery solved.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

pettaw

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:23 AM »

I must say I think it might have improved the stability of my connection a little bit. It has also increased my sync speed, but only ever so slightly.

I have the latest firmware from the beattie agent but have not flashed the GUI back so can't do all that much testing.But I have been using BE1's get current stats scripts. Previously I would get a resync roughly every three days or so. When I first installed the plate, my connection resynced at exactly the same frequency, roughly every three days, but when I checked this morning, it has been running for 6 days and counting! Now whether that's just blind luck or whether these new filters have done the job I don't know tbh, I don't run the continuous scripts but when I last did, it used to show random spikes in the SNRm related to not much, although my line is far outperforming the BTw broadband checker speed tests which quote a speed of 43Mbps, whereas my sync speed is 66834.

Frankly I don't understand why its not full speed 80, because by walking distance my cabinet is just over 200m away, but I live on a triangle so possibly its going a huge way round which could double it to almost 400m, or else there's the dreaded aluminium present.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »

This filter has actually done me wonders, from 23/24Mbps to 27.7Mbps. It has removed a vast amount of Interference but I have some more to get rid of as of yet!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »

This filter has actually done me wonders, from 23/24Mbps to 27.7Mbps. It has removed a vast amount of Interference but I have some more to get rid of as of yet!

Don't think this VDSL MKII would work for me as I have the Master Socket MK1 setup for the Data Kit socket in another room.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »

Don't think this VDSL MKII would work for me as I have the Master Socket MK1 setup for the Data Kit socket in another room.

Does your data extension plug into the socket of the SSFP or does the pair connect via the IDCs behind the lower front face plate?

If the former, it would be a simple swap. If the latter, the two IDCs would need to be remade.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »

Does your data extension plug into the socket of the SSFP or does the pair connect via the IDCs behind the lower front face plate?

If the former, it would be a simple swap. If the latter, the two IDCs would need to be remade.

it connects behind the lower front face plate BC

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »

Ah, I see. So you would need to own / borrow / acquire a punch-down tool to make the new connections . . .

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »

Ah, I see. So you would need to own / borrow / acquire a punch-down tool to make the new connections . . .

I do have one, but going into back of face plate is the Openreach Side not the EU i think  :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »

I do have one, but going into back of face plate is the Openreach Side not the EU i think  :no:

Everything that plugs into the "test socket" of the NTE5/A is actually within the EU's domain. That include the SSFP.  :)

Your "data extension" is wired to the pair of IDCs on the SSFP, which are exposed once the lower front face-plate is removed. The SSFP, the "data extension" wiring and the "data extension socket" are all within your domain. Openreach have given them all to you, as part of your FTTC service provision.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »

Everything that plugs into the "test socket" of the NTE5/A is actually within the EU's domain. That include the SSFP.  :)

Your "data extension" is wired to the pair of IDCs on the SSFP, which are exposed once the lower front face-plate is removed. The SSFP, the "data extension" wiring and the "data extension socket" are all within your domain. Openreach have given them all to you, as part of your FTTC service provision.

Many thanks for clearing that up was not sure how deep I can go into the FTTC Master Socket and with the above explanations thats does help if and when I get a VDSL MKII face plate.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:56 AM »

Many thanks for clearing that up was not sure how deep I can go into the FTTC Master Socket and with the above explanations thats does help if and when I get a VDSL MKII face plate.

You're welcome.  :)

It can get rather confusing. I have read of one occasion where Beattie charged an EU for replacing a defective lower front face-plate of an NTE5/A. Her logic was that as it plugged into the "test socket" it was, therefore, the EU's property/responsibility and was a chargeable task.  >:(

Use the image, below, for reference. What you see there (and anything "behind" it) is in Beattie's domain. Anything "built on" from there ("forwards") is in the EU's domain -- lower front face-plate, SSFP, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

anything