Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

How OS X killed my TV

<< < (3/3)

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: kitz on September 24, 2013, 12:03:02 AM ---btw.. if the OS writes to the USB everytime.. even if it doesnt need to/shouldnt... wont this drastically effect the lifespan of the USB stick?

--- End quote ---

I was pondering that thought during my morning cuppa', but thought it would probably not be an issue, as long as nothing had changed, it wouldn't need to modify existing index data.  Or would it?

So I've just tried again using that same USB stick (very very carefully!). I installed it, noted the timestamp on the Spotlight files, then I ejected, removed it and installed it again, and lo' the timestamps were all updated.  Therefor I'd say yes, I guess there will be a theoretical impact on USB lifetime.

It is now back in my myth front end, happily booting up (phew!).  Reason I had a backup was of course I built it myself, but it was ages ago and probably took me a good two or three days to get everything working.  I really didn't want to go through that again, so good old Linux 'dd' to the rescue...  with which the boot sticks' binary images can very easily be archived and recreated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version