Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upgrading HG612 unlocked firmware, dumb question  (Read 3645 times)

JHo1

Upgrading HG612 unlocked firmware, dumb question
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »

Hi,
I am trying to upgrade my HG612 from B028SP10 to B030SP08 and failing. The modem is unlocked. I have downloaded bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui from somewhere (excuse me but I went around and around in circles. There are so many Google hits on "download B030SP08" it took me ages to find the actual source).

I have possibly been a bit lazy? I went to 192.168.1.1 and did not get the "Upgrade Software" page described in the unlock instructions. As the modem is already unlocked I didn't think that was necessarily something to worry about. I arrived at the modem login screen. I logged in and selected Maintenance, Device and the tab "Firmware Upgrade". I browsed to the B030SP08 file that I had downloaded and selected it. I can't remember exactly what the response was but the modem eventually came back with a login screen. I logged in, checked the s'ware version and it was unchanged, still showing B028SP10.

I seem to remember, 6 months ago when I got FTTC and unlocked my HG612 that changing the IP address of the pc was required. Is that what I need to do this time or have I got something else wrong?

As an aside, my understanding is that if G.INP is activated on my (1500m long) line then the modem will automatically be updated with software from BT? Sop the fact that it hasn't indicated there's no G.INP there yet?

Thanks,
John

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Upgrading HG612 unlocked firmware, dumb question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »

I have possibly been a bit lazy? I went to 192.168.1.1 and did not get the "Upgrade Software" page described in the unlock instructions. As the modem is already unlocked I didn't think that was necessarily something to worry about. I arrived at the modem login screen. I logged in and selected Maintenance, Device and the tab "Firmware Upgrade". I browsed to the B030SP08 file that I had downloaded and selected it. I can't remember exactly what the response was but the modem eventually came back with a login screen. I logged in, checked the s'ware version and it was unchanged, still showing B028SP10.

That method doesn't work.

You do need to follow the unlocking instructions again (including the long reset).

I seem to remember, 6 months ago when I got FTTC and unlocked my HG612 that changing the IP address of the pc was required. Is that what I need to do this time or have I got something else wrong?

It depends how the modem is connected to the PC.

My HG612 is connected via its LAN 1 port to the router's WAN port.
I also have the HG612's LAN2 port connected to a spare router port.

The PC is connected to another of the router's ports.

doing it this way allows me to update firmware versions without connecting the PC directly to the HG612, but the long reset method is still required.

As an aside, my understanding is that if G.INP is activated on my (1500m long) line then the modem will automatically be updated with software from BT? Sop the fact that it hasn't indicated there's no G.INP there yet?

Installing the B030SP08 firmware will make the HG612 modem compatible with G.INP.
If you are connected to a Huawei cabinet DSLAM, G.INP should be activated within a day or so.

However, if you are connected to an ECI DSLAM, I'm afraid G.INP won't be activated (yet - there is a known issue with ECI hardware that is currently being looked into).

Even worse, quite high interleaving depth & delay are applied by default when a compatible HG612 is connected to an ECI DSLAM.

JHo1

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »

Thanks BE. That worked. But then you knew that  ;D Easy when you know how  :)

Thanks,
John

JHo1

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »

p.s. G.INP is now reported as active. That didn't take long.

Regards,
John

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:37:31 PM »

:thumbs:

Good news all round then.

A set of stats before & after G.INP might be interesting, especially as you are on a very long connection (for FTTC purposes).

If you are using HG612 Modem Stats, the Plink logs from subfolders of Current_Stats or the telnet stats from DSLStats would provide the details.

Alternatively, running these (case sensitive) commands once into BusyBox would also provide them:-

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd info pbParams