Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Closure of Digital Region  (Read 27653 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Closure of Digital Region
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Well its official,DR will close on the 14th August.We @ Origin who are unable to get fibre elsewhere will be moved over to ADSL  :(

Here is part of Origins letter to customers

I can also confirm that the build of our new network is going ahead, and will allow the majority of
Origin’s customers to
receive fibre optic broadband
I want to reassure the minority of customers that are not currently able to receive fibre
broadband that we will provide an Annex
-
M product at the best market price
when compared with our competitors

and the option to upgrade to a
fibre product as soon
as it becomes available
The
official Digital Region closure date is the 14
th
of
August

by which time we will have migrated all of our
customers to our new network. Every customer will receive a personal e
-
mail and letter in the post which will
prov
ide
more detail on how their migration will be carried out

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »

Thats sad news.. although not unexpected.  :'(  Thanks for keeping us updated UB.

It would be lovely if BT could get their act together as I would guess they are still the best hope.  :-\

Thats nice of Origin to offer annex_m.   Interesting what the cost will be,  but it ignores the point that annex-m is going to be as much use as a chocolate tea-pot to those in your area  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »

Thats sad news.. although not unexpected.  :'(  Thanks for keeping us updated UB.

It would be lovely if BT could get their act together as I would guess they are still the best hope.  :-\

Thats nice of Origin to offer annex_m.   Interesting what the cost will be,  but it ignores the point that annex-m is going to be as much use as a chocolate tea-pot to those in your area :(

Am I right in thinking that Annex_m is only any good on short lines. ???

iirc when I was with O2 I was on Annex_A 992+....??

Just been looking at Plusnet broadband...£8.49 a month(12 month contract) 10GB limit(which should be fine for me.I can't see me being a big downloader when I can only roughly get 2MB.Plusnets estimate is between 1.5mb and 5mb

What is Plusnets support like,is it UK based.?

I am getting put off going back to BT because of the awful Indian support it has.

I also don't want to move my line rental away from BT.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:07:46 AM by UncleUB »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »

What is Plusnets support like,is it UK based.?
I've just moved back to PlusNet (from BE) and they're not too bad. I think Kitz my be with them as well.

They are based in Sheffield and support has become overloaded lately with long waits on calls. They are supposedly expanding the call centre to cope.

For non-urgent stuff it's often easier to go via their forum which is quite active and reasonably sensible with staff actively involved.

And yes, Annex M is only effective on short, fast lines.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:17:15 AM by HPsauce »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »

Thanks HP,I shall add PN to my short list.(which is very short at present) ;D

I have noticed that some of PN support staff do visit here on a regular basis.

The likes of Zen are just too expensive for what I would get out of it...Over £18 a month just to get 2mb.I pay £17.50 at present for 24mb down and 10mb up.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »

:(.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

I have been with Plusnet for many years & would recommend them.
I intend to stay with them for the forseeable future, despite the currently slower technical support.

With some slight persistence (unlike some ISPs who simply fob users off), they do eventually deal with technical queries, especially if users are able to provide raw data & graphical evidence of 'issues'.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »

@ Uncy,

I can also confirm that PlusNet are now attempting to respond to a fault ticket initially within 72 hours.
AFTER that the behemoth has to start its pantomime.

Despite this deterioration in their service, I still believe they are far better than you-know-who.

Might I strongly recommend you transfer your phone line rental to Plusnet (or whoever you choose) too.
That prevents the ping-pong game between two different parties which is becoming ever more necessary.

For your amusement this is an edited BT "Chat" I've just completed with India on behalf of one of "my" flock.

Herewith the initial request form:-
Please send Openreach engineer SOONEST (a.m. appointment any day) to repair no-dial tone & very crackly line fault on 01483 xxx xxx Accnt No. THyyyyyyyy. Note BT working at DP1040 Coneyhurst Lane Ewhurst yesterday.

Time 08:18

You are currently number 2 in the queue.

08:21

You are currently number 1 in the queue.
08:24

08:25

08:27

08:28

08:29

08:31

Bibin: Hello. I'm Bibin. Thanks for that information, I'll check it and get back to you in a moment.
 Bibin: xxx . I am sorry for the trouble on your line.
 Bibin: Please give me a minute so that I can pull your details and proceed further.
Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Hello  Bibin.

Thanks for that information, I'll check it and get

My name is Walter and I’m helping Mr xxx

Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:32
 Bibin: Ok.Thanks.
 Bibin: Now,I'll just run a test on the line.

Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: I've done that & it says no fault found. I have used 2 telephones in the test socket

Bibin: Can I have your alternate contact number please?
Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: 01483nnnnnn is my land line number

Bibin: Ok.

Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:35
 Bibin: I did line test and the test says there’s a fault within the boundaries of your property which might be a problem with your equipment or wiring. Please watch this video and it’ll tell you what to do:  http://bit.ly/YJXtWL or use this useful link  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13567    If you find you still have problems after you have checked your equipment please come back to us on chat and we can arrange an engineer for you.  I will be sending these links to the email address you provided.
 Bibin: As you are looking for an engineer so I can report this fault to engineering team before that I would like to inform you, "I can send an engineer. However, if the engineer finds the problem is with your home wiring, your equipment, or our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill.

Would you like to double check any of these things or shall I go ahead and book the engineer?"

Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: I am absolutely positive the fault is in your network probably near DP1040 where your men were working yesterday. Please do not waste more time

Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:38
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:39
Bibin: I have sent this fault to engineer and it will be fixed by on or before 21/02/2014 21:00:00.
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: You have just sent a text that you can't Fix before 21 Feb FIVE DAYS FROM NOW. That REALLY is UNACCEPTABLE
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:41

Bibin: As I have reported this fault to engineering team so it depends on engineering team so I request you to wait till that time. Walter.
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: I want you to report this to your supervisor and ensure YOUR fault is repaired soonest !!!
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:42

Bibin: Ok.
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Thank you for your help this morning. PLEASE get your staff to react more rapidly. Good bye.
 Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:44

Bibin: Thanks for contacting us on chat. Have a nice day bye take care.

Frustrated & Angry Ewhurstian: Time 08:45
 You have disconnected.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »

Thanks Walter.

You don't have to tell me anything about BT's offshore support,been there,done that,got the stress lines to show for it... ;D

The only word I can describe it is..........ABYSMAL.  :wall:

I wish O2 were still going,I would go back to them without hesitation.Excellent support and price.On a good day I could get 3mb with their LLU.Prior to O2 with BT I was lucky if I got 1.7mb,often was as low as 1.2mb

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 12:53:38 PM »

UB, I recall the problems you had with your line prior to origin and even back before O2. 

The probability of the BT dlm restricting your speeds is going to be a strong possibility with which ever Btw based ISP you choose.   That includes the likes of plusnet or zen.

I too miss BE/O2 because I loved their (non)DLM and how on be you could confirm your own settings.   I wasn't going to stay and go sky, because I'm not enamoured with the service around here, nor do I think much of their DLM, which works backwards, this type of dlm  isn't good on long lines as it keeps speeds low.. It may keep them stable, but it caps my parents line at around 1.7mbps... But it should be capable of so much more.    Dad has given up on their support, and it just makes mum upset, so its easiest to just leave things be atm as he only uses it for mail and occasional browsing.   I feel they are being ripped off, they did get it for free so didn't really bother but my nieces using their iPads from there to stream some movies at Xmas meant they went over the 2gb and now they've no option but to pay for unlimited.

I know you will be hesitant when I mention talktalk, I know they don't have the best reputation, but support via their forums isn't too bad and they are now about the only ISP where you have a chance of not being clobbered by a DLM.  The likes of Eric and bcat will be able to tell you more about this, both of whom have had their dlm switched off.

As far as btw based then zen would probably be best for support, but I know they are out of our price league, so plusnet is going to be about your best bet there.   Just be warned that they've grown an awful lot over the past year or so.   I used to practically know all their staff on first names once upon a time, now there's well over 1000.   Their training is better tHan most ISPs, but be warned, they are about to take on a shed load more new staff and open another call center in Leeds.    A whole load if new staff at once means there will be the inevitable boob, but at least there is still a decent COMS team behind them, who should be able to help.

Like you I've always kept my phone separate and loyal to bt, but when I left BE, I made quite a saving by combining my adsl and phone line into one package.   It something I thought I'd never do, but at the end of the day it made financial sense.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »

Thanks Kitz,much apprciated.  :flower:

My first toe in the water so to speak was with TalkTalk,it lasted a month before I got out of my contract as the connection was virtually unusable and at the finish I was never off the phone until I got to their escalation team.

I am now thinking on the lines of just getting and using a tablet via 4G.Tbh what i use the internet for a tablet will probably suffice. 3 mobile have an unlimited sim plan for £15.90 and very soon their 4G network will be supplied at no extra cost

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=2917

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »

More info....

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/02/south-yorkshire-uk-digital-region-network-sets-15th-may-2014-closure-date.html

One extra bit of good news is that the Government are currently proposing a new £10 million scheme under their Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) programme (here), which would work to help deploy superfast broadband (FTTC/P) services across 90% of South Yorkshire (most likely with BT’s help). But the local authorities remain reluctant to sign off on that plan until they can sell what remains of DRL (GEO Networks and a few others are believed to have been sniffing around).

In the meantime DRL’s remaining customers have been left to battle over the complex issue of migration between DRL’s Sub-Loop Unbundled (SLU) network and that of either BT’s platform, Virgin Media’s cable network or one of the other fully/shared unbundled (LLU) ISPs like Sky Broadband or TalkTalk.

Sadly each path has a different process and some, such as a move to Virgin’s cable network, require the customer to effectively setup a new line. Meanwhile it’s not currently possible to use a MAC when going from DRL’s VDSL/FTTC service to an FTTC ISP on Openreach’s network, which means that an easier path might be to downgrade on to an ADSL2+ ISP (ideally one with a short contract term) and then upgrade to FTTC later.

Alternatively you could just cancel the old service and ask for a new line to be installed, which can be a bit tedious. Sadly in areas that don’t have an alternative FTTC or cable provider then the only option remains a slower ADSL based connection.

:cry2:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 12:34:16 AM »

GEO Networks and a few others are believed to have been sniffing around).

Well they better pull their fingers out pretty quick as time is running very short :/
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »

Just to update...

After the letter posted on the DRL forum nearly 2 weeks ago we have heard nothing from Origin Broadband.

Admin on the forum asked a series of questions via email to them but they refused to answer any of them at this moment in time.They keep saying they will be updating their website in the near future.Tbh at present its still showing as they are taking orders for a DR fibre connection,which hasn't been the case for some months.

http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/

There is quite a lot of frustration over on the DRL forums due to not being able to find out when customers will be moved over and what Origins packages/prices will be.

I'm still keeping my options open at this moment in time,saying my options are quite limited  :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »

Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.......Why?

Digital Region has now closed and Origin Broadband have left many,many customers without any broadband connections.They promised this,that and the other and delivered nothing.
If you need proof then visit their Facebook page to see the angry customers posts.Don't say anything against the company or your post will be promptly removed,even those posts that have tried to help customers have been removed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5