Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Well two weeks in and things not good  (Read 21442 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Well two weeks in and things not good
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »

UPDATE

Well my brother-in-law text me from Germany today, moaning that I wasn't answering the phone. Grabs phone, no dial tone :no:

So after a little testing, it seems the openreach filter plate on the NTE5 is not passing the phone, but is passing the broadband ???

Today I have been getting tremendous amounts of dropouts, but since I removed this filter plate and attached a micro filter its been ok.

I never use the landline, unless its for free phone numbers or my brother-in-law calling from Germany and to be honest, I never checked after the FTTC install that is was working :-[

So, could this faulty filter plate be the cause of my problems?

Have called PlusNet and they're arranging for an engineers visit next week....but the agent I spoke too wasn't sure if the plate was the connection issue. He said he could see an horrendous amount of reconnects since the install and said DLM was definitely the cause of my speed reduction.
On a brighter note, my FTTC business install went ok at work today........74/20.  8)

It does indeed sound like the VDSL frontplate is the issue. If you have experienced trouble-free DSL since utilising a MF in the test socket, then it isn't going to take one of our resident scientists to determine the cause.  ;D ;D

I have personally experienced lots of faulty VDSL frontplates, and liken them to the earlier white VDSL modems, whereby I would change it out whatever the EU's issue turned out to be.

Still having the engineer visit may pay dividends, especially if he's a decent one. You get your circuit 'Health checked' and if it's proven to be OK, a possible 're-calc' (reset). I just hope they pick up the tab, and don't pass it on to you ??

bossian

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

It does indeed sound like the VDSL frontplate is the issue. If you have experienced trouble-free DSL since utilising a MF in the test socket, then it isn't going to take one of our resident scientists to determine the cause.  ;D ;D

I have personally experienced lots of faulty VDSL frontplates, and liken them to the earlier white VDSL modems, whereby I would change it out whatever the EU's issue turned out to be.

Still having the engineer visit may pay dividends, especially if he's a decent one. You get your circuit 'Health checked' and if it's proven to be OK, a possible 're-calc' (reset). I just hope they pick up the tab, and don't pass it on to you ??

Well 24hrs on and the connection has stayed pretty stable....been a few drop outs still, but its loads better.

So with that in mind and the fact the filter plate is OR property, don't think I'll be being charged.....fingers crossed ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »

Yup, absolutely right. I'm sure the engineer will report his findings in his write-up, but there's no harm in requesting he/she do this anyway !.  :)

You are now a BT engineer.

bossian

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »

You are now a BT engineer.

I'm feeling humbled now ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »

Ha ha ......... you're probably already twice as good as some of the noobies we have on our books !! Not their fault, 2 weeks training, 1 week 'shadowing' ......... boom .......  you're fit for purpose. <big fat bl00dy sigh>.  :no:

mikehiow

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »

The engineer that visited me the other day told me the line card I was on must be broken because he could only sync at 60/20 on his JDSU at the PCP despite me already telling him that DLM had banded me and I just wanted a reset. I ended up with a lift and shift.

Nice bloke, though - he did my original install and told me all about his time as a signals engineer in The Army. He seemed to really know his stuff about radio etc. I just put it down to poor training.

bossian

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »

<UPDATE>

Got a call from PN today, they have monitored my connection and even though it's been a lot better since I removed the NTE socket and replace it with a micro filter, they can see problems and have got me an OR engineer coming in the morning.

Think a bacon butty will get me a DLM reset after he's finished?  ;)

DeadMan

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »

<UPDATE>

Got a call from PN today, they have monitored my connection and even though it's been a lot better since I removed the NTE socket and replace it with a micro filter, they can see problems and have got me an OR engineer coming in the morning.

Think a bacon butty will get me a DLM reset after he's finished?  ;)

Slip him a fiver and he might. Don't think mine did diddly squat.

bossian

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »

<UPDATE?

Well I had a real nice engineer here today, for 2hours!! He was getting calls cause he was late for his next appointment :-[ But I looked after him with tea and bacon sarnies!

Anyway, in a nut shell, here's what he did.....

Used a JSDU to test the line, low sync shown at 39/6. He did a copper test and that showed REIN ok and wires showing good, all within what's expected. I am 400 mts from CAB.

Complete new nte5 fitted.

New bullet type connection on the overhead to drop, old 66 removed.

Moved to new tie wires at cab and all connection remade with new gel crimps.

DLM reset and JDSU showing 80/20.

Just waiting on PN to sort there speed profiles out to see what happens.

I have had a lot of drop outs since the visit though ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

I have had a lot of drop outs since the visit though ???

Please clarify what you mean by 'drop outs'.

Is the modem loosing sync with the DSLAM? Or is your router dropping its PPPoE session with your ISP?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »

>> Will PN/BT know I have the wrong box attached?
>>> In normal circumstances I doubt they would notice (in the sense of doing anything),

They dont, Ive had 2 engineers here they just see the box and dont care.  One of them actually showed interest in the logging facilities and DSLstats which was running. 

Plusnet dont care either. 

>>> I have had a lot of drop outs since the visit though

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bossian

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »

Sorry, drop outs as in the modem drops sync, DSL light goes out and the re-sync cycles.

I have a support ticket with PN and they're saying the drop outs are "user requests" which normally means my router is controlling the drop outs, but my router logs don't show anything but 'WAN 1 is down' then the usual reconnection info during handshaking.

I have a spare router, so will be testing this out today.

Here's my TBB graph for the last 24 hrs.

My Broadband Ping

My HG612 will be here today/tomorrow......then time to start getting some proper info on my connection stats ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »

yeah you need an unlocked modem for sure, sadly whatever improvement he gave you doesnt look like its fixed your ultimate problem which is the instability. 

Your first graphs posted showed that you was DLM'd at least 3 times, and the 3rd intervention made the line almost stable but then it kept reverting to the previous setting (making less stable) and you was flip flopping.  An example of DLM been not up to the job, your line is in a sorry state.  I know the feeling from my years on adsl, wish you best of luck for fix.

bossian

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »

yeah you need an unlocked modem for sure, sadly whatever improvement he gave you doesnt look like its fixed your ultimate problem which is the instability. 

Your first graphs posted showed that you was DLM'd at least 3 times, and the 3rd intervention made the line almost stable but then it kept reverting to the previous setting (making less stable) and you was flip flopping.  An example of DLM been not up to the job, your line is in a sorry state.  I know the feeling from my years on adsl, wish you best of luck for fix.

Daft thing was my ADSL sat solid at 4.5/0.5 and never faltered!

Even though my DLM was reset yesterday, it's come back with a vengeance now! Just done a speedtest that's resulted in 7/6 :'(

Anyway, have put another router on the VDSL for now.....but I know it's not going to change anything....but you have to go through the motions......

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »

Sorry, drop outs as in the modem drops sync, DSL light goes out and the re-sync cycles.

O.k., so we must assume that there is still some defect in the metallic pathway between the NTE5/A in your home and the DSLAM in the FTTC.  :(

I have a support ticket with PN and they're saying the drop outs are "user requests" which normally means my router is controlling the drop outs, but my router logs don't show anything but 'WAN 1 is down' then the usual reconnection info during handshaking.

PlusNet are confusing things.  ::)  They are not seeing the synchronisation status of the modem with the DSLAM, they are just seeing the drop of the PPPoE session between your router and their server as a result of the loss of the modem - DSLAM synchronisation.

A router has no means of modifying the synchronisation status between the modem and the DSLAM.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5