Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Verified by Visa Improved  (Read 7851 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Verified by Visa Improved
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »

I have experienced the same, logo appears then disappears and transaction goes through.  This is good as when I have used this in the past my password is never accepted and need to reset every time!

gom

Indeed gom, you are not alone. 

And the ridiculous thing is, if a villain has the card (ie he stole it) then the only validation he needs to reset the password to one of his liking is what's printed on the card, plus the card holder's date of birth.  And for many people, DOB is trivially easy to obtain these days with a few clicks of the mouse.

Better calm myself down, I feel a rant coming on. :-[

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »

Hi

Same thing happens here with that card and my mastercard when buying online.  It comes up with the verification box then disappears.  Been like it for ages now but I don't make purchases of huge amounts online so wondered if it only comes up to actually verify password if it's over a certain amount.

Very interestink...
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

I never have a problem tbh,make payments and buy stuff without fault..

I find a little 'verification' is good for the soul.... ;D.....Not so good for the wallet though.  ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »

Just been clearing the backlog which had built up in my Inbox this morning, and discovered an email from Nationwide -

You may have noticed that you're no longer being asked to enter a password to authorise your online payments using your Nationwide credit or debit card.

This is thanks to improved technology working behind the scenes to prevent fraud. As a result, you'll be asked to authorise your payments a lot less. 
These changes will make your online shopping faster, whilst still giving you the level of purchase protection and security you’d expect.

Shopping online using your Nationwide debit or credit card is now even easier:
You’ll be shown a "Processing..." page after you have entered your payment details and selected to checkout
In some cases as an extra security measure you may be asked to provide additional details to verify your purchase, but not a password, to help confirm your purchase.

I wonder what this "improved technology working behind the scenes" is?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »

Indeed.   ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »

Just been clearing the backlog which had built up in my Inbox this morning, and discovered an email from Nationwide -

See my reply on page 1 of this thread.
I guess it will be risk based analysis of customer purchasing habits and IP address used as stored and analysed by the credit card firms.
So maybe non typical purchases, sudden large value purchases, overseas purchases, perhaps made from non typical IP range of address would trigger a password required.
One thing for certain for reasons of fraud prevention they ain't going to declare their methods of analysis.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »

Thanks - that seems eminently feasible.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:21 AM »

You may have noticed that you're no longer being asked to enter a password to authorise your online payments using your Nationwide credit or debit card.

This is thanks to improved technology working behind the scenes to prevent fraud. As a result, you'll be asked to authorise your payments a lot less. 
These changes will make your online shopping faster, whilst still giving you the level of purchase protection and security you’d expect.

Shopping online using your Nationwide debit or credit card is now even easier:
You’ll be shown a "Processing..." page after you have entered your payment details and selected to checkout
In some cases as an extra security measure you may be asked to provide additional details to verify your purchase, but not a password, to help confirm your purchase.

Must admit, it has never crossed my mind to actually open an email that appeared to be from a bank.   I'd have a lot more confidence in the banks if they understood and encouraged my attitude...

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

"I'd have a lot more confidence in the banks if they understood and encouraged my attitude."

You could add " and other financial institutions"   I had a letter the other day asking me to go paperless as " a quicker and more secure way to receive updates " !??    Also they offered to have a tree planted for every N takers on the paperless offer.  AFAIK quality paper is made from rags, not wood, so this seems a non sequeteur.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »

Well barclaycard (former egg) doesn't seem to be reducing verification for me.   I just did my usual 6 monthly supply of cat health meds at the online vet store i use and had to verify the transaction.

I did buy something else this time, making it about £10 more than my usual order, but it was still only about £30 so hardly an out of the ordinary purchase.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »

If it works in any respect like credit card security used to back years, then the amount parameters to be checked would fluctuate considerably. I presume that was done so that scammers could not be sure that any sum was "safe".

I'm sure some folk were confused why their £19.99 transaction was being questioned.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

Well barclaycard (former egg) doesn't seem to be reducing verification for me.   I just did my usual 6 monthly supply of cat health meds at the online vet store i use and had to verify the transaction.

I did buy something else this time, making it about £10 more than my usual order, but it was still only about £30 so hardly an out of the ordinary purchase.

You're probably the lucky one.

I can easily envisage what'll happen, I'll enjoy blissful verification-free shopping for many months until I need to make some critical purchase, like snapping up a cheap airline ticket at the last minute, and it'll suddenly ask for verification.   Since I'll have long-since forgotten my password, the card will then be blocked.    By the time it's sorted that cheap flight will have gone up tenfold in price. :(

Another issue I have is that each time I forget a VbyV password I have to choose a new one, and it won't let me recycle old passwords.   Since it's got fussy password rules, needs to be so many characters, mixed case, contains digits etc, I end up being forced to use increasingly wierd passwords that are simply impossible to remember unless I write them down.   Which is rarely a wise thing to do:'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »

>> You're probably the lucky one.

Well Ive certainly not seen it skip the process like others have said so I wondered if Visa/formerly Egg havent got around to doing this yet.
I even had to verify when I paid my ground rent last month, which is an annual thing Ive been doing for years.   

I think the only time I havent had to verify if when using Amazon, but I thought they dont always ask for verification anyhow..  I didnt get the popup screen at all.

----

My bank are now pushing 'Security Tokens'  as an additional measure which will be needed for all online transactions over £300 from September.   

Its a nightmare trying to log in and remember everything as it is..   
Theres a 10 digit PIN (not account no)... 
Then I have to do the finger counting job as it asks for random letters from my password 
Then a random security question I have to answer
..  and now I have to apply for one of these token thingies.

On top of that I have to go through it all again if I dare look at another screen for more than 2 mins  ???
-----

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

Amazon have decided with their corporate muscle not to do the additional verification /security number thing.
I guess they are big enough to do a private deal with the credit card companies over how liability is picked up/shared out for any fraud against the savings made by amazon not having to put through umpteen thousand authorisation verifications per second onto the the Visa servers.  When you are that big the whole thing changes to a different level.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »

Well as I predicted, after a couple of months' lull, I've just been bitten by V by V on my Nationwide Flex card.   As expected, it reared its head at the most awkward possible moment, at the end of several arduous forms booking a BA flight.

I clicked 'cancel' on the VbyV popup.   Ba refused, demanded I play ball or use another card.

Eventually I agreed and gave the details.   The only information it requested, apart from what was printed on the card (that I might have stolen) was my date of birth, which is also easily discoverable.

Hard to understand why the banks think this is 'security'?
Pages: 1 [2] 3