Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Good Morning one and all  (Read 2485 times)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
Good Morning one and all
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »

Well, it doesn't seem that long since I was bringing you news from chez nous  ;)  but in fact it's well over a year.   In that  time chez nous has undergone a massive upheaval in the health department !     We went to bed on the 31st August 2012 - all well with the world - little did we know that  from the lst September our lives would change forever.   Hubby had a brain haemorrhage on the 1st - following his normal morning warm up walk - having a cup of tea - couldn't stand up - I saw his right arm was hanging limply  and immediately realised that something serious was under-way.  The emergency services arrived extremely promptly and to cut  a very long story short - hubby came home in May - having spent nearly 9 months in hospital - from Intensive Care to Re-education.  Thankfully his speech, memory and fact were not affected  (his memory is better than mine  !!)  The reason for his extended stay in hospital was due to me being taken ill on the 6th November - since when I've been undergoing chemotherapy - once a week for three consecutive weeks, followed by a rest week.   We have been/ are  looked after tremendously by the health service and the home care service.  I have had very positive results from three scans and following the current session of treatments up to the end of October I will have further scans - one being a TEP (Nuclear scan)  -  so I'll be able to light up your lives   ;D    I have full confidence in the  treatment, I see the same medical people each week, have my own nurse and intern as well as an excellent Oncologist.  Transport is provided to and from the hospital in Bordeaux - the main problem is of course the fatigue following the treatment; but - with the home care installed by the General Council of Bordeaux (the big boys !)  we have people to help hubby morning and evening, to prepare his lunch when I'm in Bordeaux   (sadly not for shoppy/lunchy's - YET !  ;D ) and we have people to clean, iron, shop  - in fact I feel rather lazy these days  !   Hubby is making good progress with his walking (his right leg and arm were affected) but we're not sure that his arm will ever be the same - but hey ho  !  we have four legs and three arms between us - not forgetting of course our little four legged treasure who has kept me going through a very long winter.  I have a "signature tune" that I sing every day   "I get knocked down and I get up again"   courtesy of Chumbawamba (for the music aficionados  :) )

All in all we are doing fine and looking forward, onward and upward ( if I'm not careful I'll trip up   ;D )  We've very recently bought an automatic car which has enabled hubby to actually drive again - a wonderful step forward - it's also a lot easier for me.

So there we are.  Isn't life 'interesting' !   I hope everyone has had a better 12 months or so - and continue to do so.

I'm off to have my little sing song and start the book  !!!! :D

ttfn.

PS...    I've not mentioned my yellow duster  !!  but never fear  - I will   ;D

It's today that matters !

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Good Morning one and all
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »

What a roller-coaster of a story for your last 12 months! Well done you for keeping cheerful through all that.

We will soon be in need of that yellow duster, by the way. Until a few days ago we were enjoying (or not) an unusually hot period, but now it's all gone rather cold, grey and wet. I'm still basking in retained warmth, but it's going to run out soon. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »

Certainly an eventful year, and certainly not the best for you.

It is good that youve managed (or at least appear to) have kept your spirits high.  However Ive no doubt that behind all the smiles it will have been one rough ride and I know damn well that its not easy!

Its lovely to see you posting again - the sun emoticon has been suffering from lack of use..  Im sure you can soon put that to rights.

Thinking of you and your hubby and wishing you both a better year. :flower:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »

Well hello Scottiesmum, what a time you and your hubby have had. Glad you can keep the spirits up under such circumstances. It's not a lot of fun this getting older lark is it.
I've not been very active on here. I just haven't felt like it. I have got WAMD in my left eye. Having treatment for it though for the rest of my days. It has started in my right eye but doesn't need treatment yet.
Reading what you and your hubby have been through pales my things into insignificance really.
Nice to hear from you. Best wishes. :flower:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

:o  Meow.  :flower:  Meow.  :rose:  Purr.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »

Thank you for the kind replies.  The meows and purrs are all very soothing.

It has certainly been a roller coaster, and yes there have been rough times. I think the fact that we were both hit by such serious things, one gave the other priority and quite honestly this helped us both.  Seems a silly thing to say, but it's true.  Supported as we are by the State, our wonderful French friends and near neighbours, who have been unstinting in their help and of course my adorable ( no other word for him !) brother who has been over several times to help me through the tough times at the beginning of the treatment (and his lovely wife)  - it has been made bearable.  And another plus - my  French medical vocabulary has been extended beyond belief  !!   ;D

We now look forward to another visit from my brother and sister in law early October  ... can't wait  -- it coincides with my 'rest' week, so we'll be able to enjoy it better.

Now to important things  !   ;D  Yellow dusters   ....  I know that the UK enjoyed record temperatures this year;  we had a very strange Spring which was unusually WET   -  'orrible - then suddenly the yellow duster appeared and WOW .... 38/39° which seemed to go on forever.  Thankfully it cooled down after about a month ! and was pleasantly very warm. September has brought the nights drawing in, and as is usual before the grape harvest - some rain - BUT we haven't given up on the sun yet ;)  As soon as we have a glut of it I'll send some over. :)

Colin, I hope your treatment on the eye alleviates what must be very uncomfortable for you, and that you might feel a little more 'active' soon. 

Take care all.   :flower: 

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »

Nice to see you back on the forum  :)
What a time for you both I hope you both continue to get better.
It's not been a good year for me as I lost my sister at 82 with Pneumonia but I'm keeping my chin up and carrying on with my building project (only 20 years to go  :o).
Been on some nice bike rides last week 30 miles High Peak Trail, Three weeks ago 22 Miles Monsal Trail, plus others and tomorrow before my daughter goes back to uni in a weeks time we a walking from Bakewell to Chatsworth House Derbyshire.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »

Thank you tickmike.  I'm sorry for your loss.

Even thinking about your cycling and walking exploits has left me exhausted ! :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »

We did about 15 miles today and some of the views across the peak district where great, some challenging walking up and down very step very old 'Drovers Roads' across some of the hills, the rain started about 3pm  >:D but my daughter and I enjoyed the walk.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.