Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Verified by Visa Improved  (Read 7852 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Verified by Visa Improved
« on: July 16, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »

Recently I've noticed, when I make an online purchase and the 'Verified by Visa' popup appears, with words like 'your card holder needs extra verification', I have a moment to get that sinking feeling ('what the heck is my password?'), but then it mysteriously vanishes without ever asking me for a password, and the transaction goes through.

I think this is wonderful, as I have nothing but contempt for the Verified by Visa system; it is awkward to use, I'm not convinced it is secure,  and the only person who gains seems to be the vendor/merchant who has slightly reduced liability for fraudulent transactions.

But is this strange sequence, of a popup that immediately vanishes with no password, happening to everybody these days, or have I just got lucky?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Verified by Visa Improved
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »

Perhaps you got lucky cause Ive always had to verify.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »

Perhaps you got lucky cause Ive always had to verify.

Well it's about time my luck changed.  Maybe I should put it to the test by buying a lottery ticket?  :D

Actually, I think the odd behaviour goes back to a few months ago, I'd just received a new card and that seemed to confuse V by V;  after rejecting my password for the third time despite VERY careful typing at 2nd and 3rd attempts I got a message that my card had been blocked and I should contact my bank.   I did so, and then remonstrated with the bank that I just wanted to prrmanently 'opt out'.  Thy said they couldn't do that, but if nobody else has seen any change then I suspect actually somehow they did manage to opt me out.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »

I've had exactly the same, 7lm, several times over the last 12 months or so.

No problems with rejected passwords though.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »

I've had exactly the same, 7lm, several times over the last 12 months or so.

Oh dear that is disappointing, maybe it's just what happens when the servers are busy?

Shame though, I really thought I was getting special treatment  :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »

I really thought I was getting special treatment

It's a pleasure to encounter an optimist. ;D
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

I've been called many things, but not often heard that one!
:lol:

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »

You have one of the new cards that you can hold near there terminal for items £20 or less it does not need a pin !.
You may see four backward 'c'  a bit like a wifi signal indicator on the card.
We used ours in a restaurant in Peranporth Cornwall two weeks ago.
My concern is if you loose your card someone can make lots of small buys. >:D
Not all retailers have the updated terminals yet.  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »

You have one of the new cards that you can hold near there terminal for items £20 or less it does not need a pin !.

A worthy suggestion, but no... my card does not have the contactless 'WiFi-like' symbol, for which I am grateful.

Anyroads even if it did, surely the behaviour for online purchases, sitting at a PC, would be unchanged?

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »

I havn't seen the VbyV for absolute ages.

I wonder whether this is because I have a Mastercard?
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »

It works for both Visa and Mastercard and not just Barclays ones either. I have it set up on all my cards and I dont always get prompted for the password even when the seller uses it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

I have experienced the same, logo appears then disappears and transaction goes through.  This is good as when I have used this in the past my password is never accepted and need to reset every time!

gom

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »

Now I have my reading glass's  on and re-read the post re "Recently I've noticed, when I make an online purchase"
Forget my above post. :-[

It always asks me.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »

Now I have my reading glass's  on and re-read the post re "Recently I've noticed, when I make an online purchase"
Forget my above post. :-[

It always asks me.

He he, I did wonder.   Mind you, the topic of contactless cards would be an interesting topic for debate and I would be happy to share my cynical opinion.   >:D

For another thread maybe?    Or has it already been 'done' on kitz, I don't follow these forums as closely as I used to.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »

My Mastercard credit card providor told me via secure message a year plus ago that they are now using risk based metrics to determine whether the purchaser is asked for the mastercard equivalent password when the purchase is referred to them by the retailer.
I'd guess that if I made a purchase which is out of character for me for some reason(s) then the full password would be required by mastercard.
Instead I get the screen/logo flash up then the purchase is approved automatically.

I further understand that retailers who choose not to bother with the extra checks have to accept liability for any fraudalent use of a credit card in the purchase.  So the like of amazon can afford the odd wrong'un don't use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3