Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Impressions of BT Home Hub 3  (Read 6662 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Impressions of BT Home Hub 3
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »

So, the issue is not that the relative needs to remember the password, it's just in case someone else happens along in the future ?? If that's the case, you could make the new password 'Dog' and in the prompt box put, "The password is dog".

The problem with this suggestion would seem to be that anybody who is given access to the WiFi network, including (say) mischievous grandchildren or others who may overjudge their own competence, would have unrestricted access to change the router settings, disable firewall etc.  All of that could be done from their armchair without having to ask for physical to the router or to ask anybody what the password is?

I just think this is a 'Mountain out of a molehill'.
Sorry if it seems that way, BS.    :-[ I was actually happy, and remain so, with the resolution arrived at in post #8, hardly a 'mountain'.   You can't blame me for the fact that the thread has trundled on, though I think it is good manners to consider and respond to subsequent posts in a thread which I started. :)

Apologies if you deem my comment 'Mountain out of a molehill' as ill-mannered, it really wasn't intended that way. I meant it as if I was chatting with anybody over a pint, saying 'Are you not making a mountain out of a molehill' ??

I may be missing a trick, but I still don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve ?? Your original comments alluded to the fact that you didn't want to be forced to change the factory set password. Plenty of answers were given, and you commented you wanted it so that anybody could get access to it, in order to help your relative if needed. You even said you would write the new password on the back of the Hub's fob.
Now, you're saying grandkids may read this and possibly do something naughty or mess around with the settings ?/

There doesn't seem to be a scenario that will ever meet your needs ??? :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Impressions of BT Home Hub 3
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »

Now, you're saying grandkids may read this and possibly do something naughty or mess around with the settings ?/

Oh dear, this is getting confused  :D

Actually, in my last contribution I was saying that YOUR suggestion, of a 'self-revealing' password (eg a hint saying  'the password is dog') was unattractive to me because it meant grandkids could do naughty things, they'd be able to log and change setting in just by going to the home page and asking for the hint.  As long as they have to ask for the password, or at least have to ask for access to the router, such mischief is a lot less likely.

I remain happy, and have never budged from being happy, with the plan at post #8 of writing a new password on a sticky label.  Plan (b) would be a factory reset when I'm done, though I'd rather avoid that as it stops me from making any changes, such as tightening the firewall if I consider it to be needed.
 :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything