Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: FTTC 'Go live' dates.  (Read 91535 times)

Puppy

Re: FTTC 'Go live' dates.
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »

Lucky boy, think I will have to wait about another 4 or 5 weeks  ::)
Praying for FTTC

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

The following Exchanges are being released.

Exchange Name   1141   SAUID   Directorate   GM NAME   CST NAME   LCM OUC   Vendor
Arrowebrook   LV/ARR   LVARR   North   North West   Merseyside   BVG357   Huawei
Bamber Bridge   BAW   LCBAB   North   North West   Lancs   BVG374   ECI
Canford Cliffs   QHI   STCANCL   South   Wessex   Bournemouth   BVH253   ECI
Darlington   DL   NEDL   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG225   Huawei
Draycott   DED   EMDRAYC   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Derby & Nottingham   BVG422   ECI
Fraserburgh   FU   NSFRA   North   Scotland   North East Scotland   BVG126   ECI
Gateforth   GXO   MYGAT   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI
Maybury   EH/MAY   ESMAY   North   Scotland   South East Scotland   BVG142   ECI
Strensall   STQ   MYSTR   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI
West Ayton   WYF   MYWAY   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   ECI
Widegates   VGS   WWWDGT   South   Wessex   Truro   BVH287   ECI

Next Releases

Exchange Name   1141   SAUID   Directorate   GM NAME   CST NAME   LCM OUC   Vendor   Release
Adel   ADO   MYADE   North   North East   West Yorkshire   BVG236   ECI   2 weeks
Allesley   ALJ   CMALL   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Coventry   BVH115   ECI   2 weeks
Boness   BVZ   ESBON   North   North West   Merseyside   BVG357   Huawei   2 weeks
Combe Down   ZEM   SSCBD   North   North West   Lancs   BVG374   ECI   2 weeks
Ebbw Vale   EBY   SWEBY   North   Scotland   Central Scotland   BVG136   ECI   2 weeks
Hunmanby   HBY   MYHUM   South   Wessex   Swindon   BVH212   Huawei   2 weeks
Ilminster   IL   WWILMI   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG225   Huawei   2 weeks
Llanwnda   LWA   WNLWA   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Derby & Nottingham   BVG422   ECI   2 weeks
Melmerby   MHZ   MYMMB   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI   2 weeks
North Luffenham   NFS   EMNLUFF   North   Scotland   North East Scotland   BVG126   ECI   2 weeks
Pickering   PDC   MYPIC   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI   2 weeks
Sheriff Hutton   XAH   MYSHF   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG228   ECI   2 weeks
Stechford   BM/STE   CMSTE   South   Wessex   Taunton   BVH264   ECI   2 weeks
Tredegar   TR   SWTR   North   Scotland   South East Scotland   BVG142   ECI   2 weeks
Uddingston   UAK   WSUDD   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   Huawei   2 weeks
Uppingham   UP   EMUPPIN   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI   2 weeks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »

The 'Next releases' in the above cut & paste, wasn't quite correct. (Not sure where or why and I've not time to check). Here's the update ...........

Exchange Name   1141   SAUID   Directorate   GM NAME   CST NAME   LCM OUC   Vendor   Release
Adel   ADO   MYADE   North   North East   West Yorkshire   BVG236   ECI   2 weeks
Allesley   ALJ   CMALL   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Coventry   BVH115   ECI   2 weeks
Boness   BVZ   ESBON   North   Scotland   Central Scotland   BVG136   ECI   2 weeks
Combe Down   ZEM   SSCBD   South   Wessex   Swindon   BVH212   Huawei   2 weeks
Ebbw Vale   EBY   SWEBY   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI   2 weeks
Hunmanby   HBY   MYHUM   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG228   ECI   2 weeks
Ilminster   IL   WWILMI   South   Wessex   Taunton   BVH264   ECI   2 weeks
Llanwnda   LWA   WNLWA   North   North Wales & North Midlands   North Wales   BVG466   ECI   2 weeks
Melmerby   MHZ   MYMMB   North   North East   Humber   BVG243   Huawei   2 weeks
North Luffenham   NFS   EMNLUFF   South   East Anglia   Peterborough   BVH512   ECI   2 weeks
Pickering   PDC   MYPIC   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   Huawei   2 weeks
Sheriff Hutton   XAH   MYSHF   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI   2 weeks
Stechford   BM/STE   CMSTE   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Birmingham & Black Country   BVG445   ECI   2 weeks
Tredegar   TR   SWTR   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI   2 weeks
Uddingston   UAK   WSUDD   North   Scotland   West Central Scotland   BVG158   Huawei   2 weeks
Uppingham   UP   EMUPPIN   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Leicester   BVG433   ECI   2 weeks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:58 PM »

Thanks for the updates BS
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 07:17:56 AM »

@Rizla.......all week this cab was showing March 2014.....I assume Glenfield is nearly complete?

No idea what's going on TBH. Our FTTC cab (and the one near the pub) has been powered up for the best part of two weeks but nobody can place any orders. Asked an Openreach guy who was working on the PCP last Wednesday and he said that the cab is finished - and that as far as he knew there is only one cab with work left to be done and that's over near the A50.

Hardly surprising that the FTTC rollout isn't achieving the takeup figures BT hoped for - to give you an example the guy next door is giving them until the end of the month (they're off on hols until then) and then he's ordering Virgin because BT Retail are telling him he can't have FTTC here until at least November. Seems somewhat farcical powering up a cab in July and not taking any orders for it for 4 months but I suppose it must make sense on planet BT  ::)

Puppy

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »

Your neighbour is lucky to have a choice  ???
Praying for FTTC

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »

@Rizla.......all week this cab was showing March 2014.....I assume Glenfield is nearly complete?

No idea what's going on TBH. Our FTTC cab (and the one near the pub) has been powered up for the best part of two weeks but nobody can place any orders. Asked an Openreach guy who was working on the PCP last Wednesday and he said that the cab is finished - and that as far as he knew there is only one cab with work left to be done and that's over near the A50.

Hardly surprising that the FTTC rollout isn't achieving the takeup figures BT hoped for - to give you an example the guy next door is giving them until the end of the month (they're off on hols until then) and then he's ordering Virgin because BT Retail are telling him he can't have FTTC here until at least November. Seems somewhat farcical powering up a cab in July and not taking any orders for it for 4 months but I suppose it must make sense on planet BT  ::)

Just because the 'Cab is finished', according to some random Openreach engineer, does not mean that your mates down the pub can have FTTC. Just because you may be able to hear a cooling fan running in the same Cabs, again, does not mean you can have FTTC right now !!.
You've been on this forum long enough to know the 'Availability checkers' are in complete disarray. They are not to be believed, and we all know it.

There's always a lot of 'I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that", when it comes down to EU's. A pound to a pinch of salt, your neighbour will go with FTTC however much longer he has to wait ?? Why, if he has always had the choice of VM, has he not gone with them sooner ?? Because FTTC is the better product, and cheaper to boot if you can manage a bit of haggling.

Keep your eyes peeled on this thread to see the true 'go live' dates. Not the availability checkers.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »

Regarding the neighbour - he moved to BT from Virgin because BT Retail assured him that "Infinity" would be here LAST YEAR and he signed up on that basis. They now say November which as far as I can tell does not appear in any publically available checker - they all say March 2014 - so either they're making it up again or they have sight of internal BT Wholesale data which they shouldn't have (Plusnet for example say its March 2014 when he phoned them). Anyway he'll do what he wants to do and its nothing to do with me.

Yes I know about availability checkers and they're a joke. They are "maintained" (I use the word in the loosest possible sense) by BT Wholesale/Openreach though so its nobody else's fault but their own if people get fed up of waiting and jump ship.

Makes no odds to me anyway, I'm going to skip this farce for now and save myself some pennies :)

Oh and "Keep your eyes peeled on this thread to see the true 'go live' dates. Not the availability checkers." - I did and you said the exchange went live on July 1 so not sure what you're on about there ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:02:15 AM by rizla »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »

I only posted up a 'Cut & Paste', Rizla. It stated that your Exchange had been 'Released'. The hierarchy don't just put information out like that for a bit of a larf. If it means your Cab hasn't yet been fully commissioned to take orders, then be patient, it should happen sooner rather than later.

If you and your neighbour do decide to give up, or look elsewhere, then I'd understand that it's down to frustration. Lets just hope your decision doesn't affect our share price too much  ;) ?? I've a shed load of shares going into my account on the 01/08/13 from my first ever 5yr Sharesave. I've usually pulled the cash out of the scheme way before fruition.

Hope you change your mind, pal.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »

Now released

Exchange Name   1141   SAUID   Directorate   GM NAME   CST NAME   LCM OUC   Vendor
Allesley   ALJ   CMALL   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Coventry   BVH115   ECI
Boness   BVZ   ESBON   North   Scotland   Central Scotland   BVG136   ECI
Ebbw Vale   EBY   SWEBY   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI
Hunmanby   HBY   MYHUM   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG228   ECI
Ilminster   IL   WWILMI   South   Wessex   Taunton   BVH264   ECI
Melmerby   MHZ   MYMMB   North   North East   Humber   BVG243   Huawei
Sheriff Hutton   XAH   MYSHF   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI
Stechford   BM/STE   CMSTE   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Birmingham & Black Country   BVG445   ECI
Tredegar   TR   SWTR   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI

Next Releases

Bethesda   BFP   WNBT   North   North Wales & North Midlands   North Wales   BVG466   ECI   2 weeks
Blantyre   BTE   WSBLA   North   Scotland   South West Scotland   BVG168   ECI   2 weeks
Chalfont St Giles   CEL   SMCG   South   East Anglia   Hemel   BVH574   Huawei   2 weeks
Churston   YUH   WWCHRS   South   Wessex   Exeter   BVH276   ECI   2 weeks
Collyhurst   MR/COL   MRCOL   North   North West   North Manchester   BVG325   ECI   2 weeks
Combe Down   ZEM   SSCBD   South   Wessex   Swindon   BVH212   Huawei   2 weeks
Cranhill   GW/CRA   WSCRA   North   Scotland   West Central Scotland   BVG158   ECI   2 weeks
Crofton   ZEP   MYCRF   North   North East   West Yorkshire   BVG237   ECI   2 weeks
Dolgellau   DDF   WNDOL   North   North Wales & North Midlands   North Wales   BVG465   ECI   2 weeks
Gatley   MR/GAT   MRGAT   North   North West   South Manchester   BVG343   ECI   2 weeks
Great Ayton   GCU   NEGA   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   ECI   2 weeks
Great Wakering   GDP   EAGWK   South   East Anglia   Southend   BVH552   Huawei   2 weeks
Hatfield Woodhouse   HTW   SLHTW   North   North East   South Yorkshire and Chesterfield   BVG256   ECI   2 weeks
Irvine   IE   WSIRV   North   Scotland   South West Scotland   BVG161   ECI   2 weeks
Keynsham   KAW   SSKEY   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Bristol   BVH174   ECI   2 weeks
Llanwnda   LWA   WNLWA   North   North Wales & North Midlands   North Wales   BVG466   ECI   2 weeks
Lodge Hill   L/LDH   LSLODH   South   South East   Crayford   BVH373   Huawei   2 weeks
Marylebone   L/WEL   WEWMAR   South   London   West Central London   BVH456   ECI   2 weeks
Pershore   PU   WMPER   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Newport/Worcester   BVH136   Huawei   2 weeks
Petersfield   PCV   SDPTRSF   South   South East   West Downs   BVH333   ECI   2 weeks
Pickering   PDC   MYPIC   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   Huawei   2 weeks
Port Dinorwic   PES   WNPTD   North   North Wales & North Midlands   North Wales   BVG466   ECI   2 weeks
Queensbury   QE   MYQUE   North   North East   West Yorkshire   BVG232   ECI   2 weeks
Shaftesbury   SFW   STSHABY   South   Wessex   Bournemouth   BVH257   ECI   2 weeks
Sherburn   SIA   MYSBN   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG228   ECI   2 weeks
Somersham   SLS   EMSOSHM   South   East Anglia   Peterborough   BVH516   Huawei   2 weeks
St.Helens   SBK   LVSAI   North   North West   Merseyside   BVG353   ECI   2 weeks
Starbeck   SRB   MYSRB   North   North East   Humber   BVG243   Huawei   2 weeks
Sutton   XUW   NESUT   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG226   Huawei   2 weeks
Uddingston   UAK   WSUDD   North   Scotland   West Central Scotland   BVG158   Huawei   2 weeks
Waunfawr   WZF   WNWA   North   North Wales & North Midlands   North Wales   BVG466   ECI   2 weeks

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »

I only posted up a 'Cut & Paste', Rizla. It stated that your Exchange had been 'Released'. The hierarchy don't just put information out like that for a bit of a larf. If it means your Cab hasn't yet been fully commissioned to take orders, then be patient, it should happen sooner rather than later.

If you and your neighbour do decide to give up, or look elsewhere, then I'd understand that it's down to frustration. Lets just hope your decision doesn't affect our share price too much  ;) ?? I've a shed load of shares going into my account on the 01/08/13 from my first ever 5yr Sharesave. I've usually pulled the cash out of the scheme way before fruition.

Hope you change your mind, pal.

The cab was fully commissioned 13 days ago. Whatever is holding it up is either exchange problems (apparently not as one poster on this thread seemingly has VDSL service) or just basic incompetence regarding availability checkers/APIs. I tend to think its the latter as BT know they're the only game in town bar Virgin, so as usual they revert to type.

It also appears that I can only get 61/18* - kind of surprising given the FTTC cab distance of just over 130m - and I don't honestly see the point of paying 3-4 times the price for <3 times the speed. The kids don't use P2P and we don't do any of that online backup lunacy so upstream is less of an issue than you'd think.

FTTC is a bodge - take a look at most ISPs forums and watch the complaints about sync speed drop as more people use the same cab - so I think I'll save the pennies and see how much FTTP is going to cost. In addition pretty much all the major ISPs/punditry have started to focus on the bloody awful DLM recently so I think as I said I'll sit this out.

Your "cut'n'pastes" are much appreciated so keep them up.

*was originally 80/20; then 76/18; then 66/18 and now 61/18 (over the last 3 months) so I don't have a great deal of confidence in any of this.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »

The 'Estimate' is just that ........ they always estimate on the lower side. I will bet you my Grandad's 'Prince Albert' that you'd get the full whack if you did sign up !!

I don't know anybody I've installed FTTC for, that is paying 3-4 times what they pay for ADSL !! I would say at least 60% are paying exactly the same as before, by agreeing to stay 'In contract' for another 12 months. The rest varies from £5 to £20 a month difference.

FTTC is far from a bodge, the idea is great, the technology constantly improving, and when 'Vectoring' becomes a reality after the trials, there'll be no more slow speed issues in relation to 'Crosstalk'. Ergo, 'The bloody awful DLM' will in turn not be as aggressive. The forums' gripes, are a very small percentage of the actual total users of the FTTC product.

I'm not sure about your FTTP comment ?? Are you talking about the 'On demand' FTTP where you will pay quite a chunk of cash to have this installed. Or, are you referring to VM's FTTK product which is nearly FTTP ??
Why would you want 330Meg (Obviously, not from VM) when you comment that you don't really entertain much broadband useage as a family unit ?? Why would you want to pay potentially thousands of pounds more, when you aren't happy paying a few more quid for a far superior product to what you have now ???

Seriously, I understand what you are saying about 'crosstalk'. However, at 130mts away from the Cab, you won't be affected in any noticeable way at all. You're working on the assumption that 'Your' Cab is going to be full and affect your circuit abysmally, yet you state that 'It's no surprise that the FTTC take-up hasn't been anywhere near the predictions' in an earlier post ???

Technology is improving all the time, it's not that long back (recent history) that we were using 56K modems. Give FTTC a chance and prove me wrong, or wait for FTTP(oD). But give it a go before you berate it, Rizla. Whether you have to wait another day, or another month for the orders to be taken ??  :)

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

Currently I pay £6/mth for my ADSL2+ service as a broadband only Plusnet customer in a market 2 exchange.
(Phone with BT)

If I wanted FTTC and if it was available (maybe one day under BDUK) as I'm 109 meters from the cab I could take advantage of the full up to 80Mbps unlimited option at £22.50/mth
This is 3.75 times my current subscription rate and is in line with poster rizla's comments on pricing differentials.

Plusnet's restricted upto 40Mbps service with a 40GB usage/month limit is available at £18.50 being 3.1 times the cost of my current sub')

So yes FTTC (if it was available) would indeed cost me somewhere between 3 and 4 times my current monthly figure
At these prices even if it was available I would not be taking it.

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »

Thing is buddy that those estimates are now what is used to determine whats "acceptable" and what isn't - and basically the estimate says that its decreased 20Mbps in 3 months before they even turn it on.

Now I'm 95% sure that this line will do >100Mbps but that makes no odds when ANY ISP is going to use the estimated speed as the "signup speed".

Without vectoring it is a bodge. VHDSL was originally intended for FTTB where TP runs would be < 100m and it works very well in Sweden in that respect. Ultimately its a UTP cable feed in the UK with line lengths well over 200m so I'm sorry but it IS a bodge. The danger is that we're now stuck with this bodge for over a decade.

On demand FTTP is what I was referring to. Virgin's cab is further away than the new VDSL cab but of course they have coax feeds so it matters a lot less. For now Virgin stick with docsis nonsense but with Liberty Global then who knows, they have more cash on hand than BT. I know the Virgin cab here has Scientific Atlanta kit in it from the 1990s so there is significant scope for upgrades ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »

Currently I pay £6/mth for my ADSL2+ service as a broadband only Plusnet customer in a market 2 exchange.
(Phone with BT)

If I wanted FTTC and if it was available (maybe one day under BDUK) as I'm 109 meters from the cab I could take advantage of the full up to 80Mbps unlimited option at £22.50/mth
This is 3.75 times my current subscription rate and is in line with poster rizla's comments on pricing differentials.

Plusnet's restricted upto 40Mbps service with a 40GB usage/month limit is available at £18.50 being 3.1 times the cost of my current sub')

So yes FTTC (if it was available) would indeed cost me somewhere between 3 and 4 times my current monthly figure
At these prices even if it was available I would not be taking it.

c6em ........ pick out the appropriate wording from my post, about agreeing to stay 'In contract'. I'm speaking from experience here, and the EU's are basically telling me that if you agree to an extention of the current contract you are on, then you basically get it for nothing, or next to nothing.
Failing that, tell your current ISP you're going to 'bitch about' to find the cheapest ISP offering FTTC. That usually stirs them into action. It's rather akin to good old SKY TV, I ring to tell them I'm cancelling to go to BT Vision, and they install SKY HD with 6 months half-price full HD package, and various 'Box Office' movie payments wiped from the then bill. All as long as I agree to a new 12 month contract.

If you can't negotiate, you're knackered.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13