Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: FTTC 'Go live' dates.  (Read 91500 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC 'Go live' dates.
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

It clearly goes in stages.
We had a couple of cabinets appear a while back, then some more, then a "live" date was produced here.
But I don't know of anyone connected yet, though I have seen some fibre pulling over the summer.

In fact today I saw contractors pulling fibre to the first cabinet installed, which is also the nearest to the exchange, so maybe someone is about to get lucky?  :-X   

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »

@HPs,

In our experience the BT Wholesale checker has never said a number & it's associated cabinet is ready if it is not so. This makes good sense as all ISPs, who I believe have access to the identical data, must have accurate records to avoid the ordering chaos ( and customer angst) which would ensue if there were many errors.

My trick for finding out if a particular cabinet is RFS is to consult the Good Pub guide and other internet "Find a business etc." Web sites sometimes linking them to postcodes. Almost invariably you can find a phone number associated with the PCP so that's a good estimate of the situation. The other way is to keep a local spy watch for the hoards of BT and subcontractor vans stopping by, especially when you see the yellow inverter boxes and modems present.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »

What does this mean in relation to FTTC availablity?

Other systems say November 2013 and March 2014, confused !!!

SOURCE: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

EDIT: just checked BT Infinity

Great News! You can get superfast fibre optic BT Infinity

"http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when" Says Comming Soon

So it looks like i could order it,  Do you agree?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:01:06 AM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

maybe someone is about to get lucky?  :-X
And it looks like it might be me!  :P
My neighbour rang BT the other day to cancel his now superfluous separate fax line and they tried to sell him BT Infinity (he's on Bethere like me) saying it would be available at the end of the month!
Previously it was end March 2014, but now shows as end November 2013.  8)
FTTC Range A (Clean) 52.3 52.3 10.9 10.9 -- 30-Nov-13
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 52.3 52.3 10.9 10.9 -- 30-Nov-13

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »

Looks like we are in the same situation, I also just checked Sky Fibre checker I can upgrade.

Now do I stay with Sky or go to BT?

Any advice on what BT Fibre is like?

What I like about BT is the amount of free hotspots, could be handy when GeoCaching :)  But I said I would never go back to BT and Sky have been great.

Decisions Decisions !!!

@HP Is your exchange listed here:
https://twitter.com/Openreach_news

I don't think mine is.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:26:39 AM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »

shows as end November 2013.
Sadly no more, as of today it's moved back a month to 31st December 2013.  :'(

The black Mamba

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »

::)Hi
Please do not be to upset as it is only a few days to December and you are still in Phase 2 if you live in Surrey.
All you have to do is check the Surrey Post Code for the numbers in the (intervention group)
As the Bt commercial section does not advertise the Poste Codes just check on your number and trust in the information that is displayed.
My line is in the BT commercial section and the data was changed today because Openreach has not finished yet and signed the work to BT wholesale.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »

What does it say here:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I think that is the most uptodate data.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

@ BB,

I agree the BT Wholesale link is more reliable but even that can be optimistic. E.g. Blackheath, Surrey PCP 10 ex THBL Bramley has a RFS date of 31 Dec 2013 but the Elgin Roadworks site already has BT planned fibre-related works for the latter half of February 2014. In these cases the RFS date is usually postponed a month at a time. Capacity issues also make a FTTC "disappear" sometimes for months on end. E.g. The commercial deployment of PCP 20 in Ewhurst ex THCN Cranleigh was AWOL for over 80 days.

IMHO the SCC website is confusing and sometimes gives false information as it disregards the laws of physics even including postcodes for D side line lengths of over 2 km. The postcode dates are sometimes just wishful thinking E.g. THSE Shere is supposedly RFS by 31December 2103 but FTTC isn't even mentioned on the BT Wholesale web site for any of the 6 PCPs. These will also suffer further delays as BT's policy is to install e.g. Huawei 288 cabinets for SCC fully equipped but with only a single duct and one set of 100 pr tie cables.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »

I now have fibre but someone I know who lives between my cabinet and the exchange can't get it.

He is  closer to my cabinet and the exchange than I am, but I think he is connected to one of the small BT (very old) cabinets numbered "1".

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »

Similar oddities in my area.
One of my friends, who lives about 300 yards further away from the exchange than me has fibre - installed on Friday 27th Dec in fact!
Our date has gone back again to 31st March 2014 - where it was when it first appeared.
Oddly we too are on cabinet #1 on our exchange. I presume they are doing the more distant ones first.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

@HP,

The deployment order usually starts from the fibre aggregation point often choosing ongoing routes that are not blocked or jammed full of cables using a larger multi-tube "cable". That often drops down to a smaller one on longer ones, down to the smallest being a quad-tube one feeding two in-line cabinets as the maximum. Obviously a cabinet can't be commissioned before there are continuous tubes all the way back to the aggregation point / distribution node.

RFS dates seem to jump by 3 months for installations, but can just as easily complete much earlier. Capacity issues seem to jump by a single month, but again can complete earlier or get postponed yet again. All that is reasonably certain is that FTTC services will become available at some point, once any date is actually announced. If you are one of the unfortunates on longer D side lines don't forget to try a number much closer to the FTTC as it's tough luck for the very long ones, but the shorter ones will always have a RFS date once the FTTC is nearly completed.

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »

OK, thanks for that explanation.
I "think" I know where my cabinet is (by entering other local phone numbers I know into the checker and seeing who is on the same one).
It's on the corner at the bottom of my road - about 350 metres away and I have every reason to think the cables run pretty straight underground along my road to a manhole by the pole opposite my house.
The FTTC cabinet is actually the other side of the (mainish) road my road joins and I remember seeing engineers digging trenches/ducts across the main road a while back and more recently (Kelly?) engineers feeding cables that I thought were fibre.

My ADSL reports 22dB attenuation, so "about" 1.6km line length in total. The cabinet is maybe 600 metres by road from the exchange so there's a degree of "slack" in there somewhere - and no obvious alternate routes.
My FTTC "clean" speed estimates are: 72.7 high 54.6 low (20/16.3 up), not sure what that suggests in terms of distance from the cabinet.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »

Dont take any notice of the RFS dates its all rubish.

Mine was October then moved to December then moved to March 2014, but I had it installed in December 2013.

Oddly we too are on cabinet #1 on our exchange. I presume they are doing the more distant ones first.

Dont, although  mine is cabinet 14 it is the 2nd from the exchange and No 1 being the first, it is 14 due to being the last one to be installed in the area as a result of a new housing development.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:16:41 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »

Dont take any notice of the RFS dates its all rubbish.
I sincerely hope so, ours has just been updated from 31st March to 31st December!  >:D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

anything