Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The worried well ...  (Read 6270 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: The worried well ...
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

There are several tones on the graphs showing zero bitloading and no corresponding blips on the QLN - they cease around the frequency NDBs cease to operate. Ones above there are on the QLN.
I take your point, and I'll look again at the specific missing tones, but nowadays they are much less common on the ground (sic), as they have any number of issues that make them less reliable than other navigational aids these days.  :)

The noise floor is high but it looks fairly broadband - which I don't think your friend can do much about in practical terms. NB - I'm assuming you've verified with him that he really doesn't have dodgy internal wiring.
Well, I think you are right about that - there is probably nothing much he can do about it to increase his speeds, short of moving closer to the exchange!  Yes, his wiring is good.  No Bell wires, no star-wiring, etc.

Edit - I've seen people with similar noise floors but they tend to be in long runs of cable along flats. Its Bearsden so flats are unlikely but what's the house and DP run like?
There are some - upmarket ones, obviously ;) - but no, he lives in a rather nice semi-detatched house.  Perhaps it comes back to the multi-span OH routing alongside that electric railway?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »

Apologies for the delay in obtaining the stats.  Nevertheless please see the attached.  Looks like it resync'ed around 7pm last night.
[EDIT] the resync was probably caused by him tweaking the SNRm down by 1dB using Eric's DSLstats.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:43:56 AM by ColinS »

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »

Nothing much wrong there. A few more uncorrected errors than I'd like to see but the line is fastpath with 3dB margin so that's going to happen.

You've seen the other thread, looks like the missing tones are due to a profile set at BT 21CN DSLAMs?

Increased noise floor, dunno really, could be railway but no real way to tell for sure.

Edit - interesting to see how often the downstream switches power levels, haven't seen a graph since BT rolled out their "power saving" stuff.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »

Thanks, all-in-all, I think it's a very good line myself.  Certainly better than mine was when on ADSL2+.

I actually think his problem may be confusing sync rate with performance.  It's a PPP connection, and perhaps he's getting a congested gateway.  I've suggested trying to drop the PPP connection to see if he can get a better one, and to investigate if other Orange users are experiencing anything similar.

The noise floor - well, who knows? It's uniform across the spectrum anyway, so wideband.

[Edit] not sure about the DS power levels. I would need to look closely at the raw data log to see.  It may be a graphing artefact.  BE would know.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:44:21 AM by ColinS »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything