Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BT Announces the Home Hub 4  (Read 28296 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: BT Announces the Home Hub 4
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

@ Rizla - interesting point, of course you refer to your own line when you say 7db requires no error correction, longer lines do, heck my 26db line gets 30 crc's per day...  :-)

Offtopic : Is broadcom the only chipset builder that allows telnet?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

No what I mean is that as the ADSL/VDSL speed increases then the demands on the cpu core doing that work increase.

I only gave that (DG834GT) as a minor example.

Oh and anyone who thinks (DIY) GigE around the house is going to be error-free - best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:53:16 PM by rizla »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 01:30:23 AM »

true, on my adsl line I often had the modem seizing up, the amount of error correction and bitswapping was simply too much for it.

do routers often have lan and wan processing seperated to seperate processor core's?

some examples I do have.

my billion 7402nx has a wan throughput limit of about 45mbit/sec, discovered when I had FTTC installed, dissapointed as is otherwise a great router.  Yet it can handle gigabit lan.  My typical lan throughput I think is 600mbit or so. (on all gigabit routers I tried).
This made me buy my asus rt-n16 which can handle up to around 120mbit or so so full FTTC speeds.  Has gigabit lan.
The hh3 can handle 300mbit speeds in excess of all the above routers.  But its possible the above routers have seperate processors to handle lan traffic.

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »

Somewhat topically Sky are now asking for beta-testers for a "new edition" of their hub :

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Product-Beta-Trial/td-p/1110434

Maybe prepping for self-install? Your guess is as good as mine....

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »

do routers often have lan and wan processing seperated to seperate processor core's?

Depends on the router but in general no - enterprise level routers/switches often do, but the cores there will be for things like packet forwarding, embedded services (firewall etc), management/punt traffic etc etc.

Lose the xDSL part of the routers we're talking about and what's left would have the cpu cycles to route at above 100Mbps - if it were that simple, which of course it isn't as the xDSL frontend is part of the SoC.

Switching (LAN-LAN) and routing (LAN-WAN) at line speeds are different beasts too, especially at above 100Mbps when you're using NAT and a firewall.

Best bet really (IMHO) is a dedicated modem feeding into a bog-standard ethernet router. Costs more in total but you have the modem (bridge) cpu dealing with xDSL and not having to mess about with routing/firewall/NAT; you have the router cpu doing routing/NAT/firewall. Horses for courses.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »

I've always said that we are moving towards needing something along the lines of the computing power of a netbook (?intel atom?)- if users want an all in one FTTC/router/wireless/NAT handling capable unit.
All means biggers cases, more complexity, fans whatever etc.

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »

Oh gods you don't want an Atom, they're garbage for this sort of work. Frankly they're garbage for most sorts of work but they're x86 compatible so they get used for Windows. I have a server running on a dual-core Atom but that's really just for backups/DNS/streaming server etc - if I tried to make it route stuff it'd struggle to cope.

Most of the current(ish) ARM cores would do this really well and at a low cost (power and cash) but they're not well represented in the consumer router market AFAIK, so startup costs would be higher than just grabbing a Broadcom SoC and re-rolling Busybox....

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »

The first unloved Home Hub 4 is up for sale on a famous auction website  :D

With a starting price of £59.99, it's probably for the connoisseur only!  (that's more than my PC is worth!)

cheers, a

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

Blimey that's cheap!
Try this from the BT shop....yours for only.....£109
http://www.shop.bt.com/learn-more/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-hub-4-12324.html

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »

We don't know it's "Unloved", Asbo ?? In fact, it may be that the HH4 has itself asked to be auctioned off, due to the EU only having lowly ADSL speeds !!  :P :P ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »

My 'Best offer' of £0-59 for it was turned down.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »

And there's another Home Hub 4 on the 'bay; yours for - you guessed it, the fantastic price of just £65.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:28:52 PM by arobertson545 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »

What I do like what they did is they made it fit thru postboxes, meaning no more waiting around for delivery.

smiggy

• Just arrived
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »

FYI, 190837397709 will take a best offer of £45+postage, maybe 1 or 2 less. He declined my offer of £34 :tongue:

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

Hello Smiggy!  Fancy meeting you here!  We was told you'd emigrated to Oz!  Just here while the weather's good?!

cheers, a
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4