Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: IPv4, IPv6 & CGNAT Discussion  (Read 14289 times)

Re: IPv4, IPv6 & CGNAT Discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »

It uses s/w beam forming - that's what the "signal paths" mean. 320 paths means it can focus the beam 320 different ways and do that dynamically depending on what is transmitting/receiving.

Seems to provide real-world speeds of 180/140Mbps at 5GHz and 100/70Mbps on 2.4GHz. Looks capable of 150Mbps throughput on each band concurrently. Those are throughput figures, not PHY connection speeds.

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »

They have the qualified staff at the ISP that know what they are on about and can talk 'tech' to BT so neither wastes each others time.

You obviously haven't seen the latest blog where Openreach are whinging about the way he replies to emails :D

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

They have the qualified staff at the ISP that know what they are on about and can talk 'tech' to BT so neither wastes each others time.

You obviously haven't seen the latest blog where Openreach are whinging about the way he replies to emails :D

share the link Rizzy... i wouldnt mind seeing it :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »

I think this is it, snadge.   ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »

Thanks BK :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »

@ Chrysalis - what scares you from PlusNet? as Iam thinking of jumping ship from sky LLu to plusnet

a few things sad to say.

Whilst FTTC now has a profile system that now instant updates, it lags on plusnet and is complaints from their users waiting for days for profile increases, I had enough of that rubbish back on adsl max.
I still see on most plusnet graphs what looks like congestion on tbb graphs, it may not be congestion but I have seen no explanation for it.  So makes me wary.
During within the past 2 months is a very long thread on plusnet forums about peak time speed issues, some users there reporting serious congesion, they say now fixed for most part but is still some complaints.
18 month contract.
Migration fee which I cant get my head round as its just a remote change to route me to new isp.  (yes I know BTw charge the fee, but aaisp dont apply it).

Now aaisp since home::1 launched is defenitly mroe competitive than it used to be, due to their policies of not been the bottleneck and been technically focused they not going to be as competitive as someone like plusnet who are bankrolled by BT.
eg. compared to zen aaisp is cheap, if you need a topup on usage zen charge £1.50 per gig, aaisp charge effectively 15pence per gig 10% the cost.
AAISP is £1 migration from any non LLU isp.
6 month contract on FTTC.
They very technically competant I know from when I had them for adsl, lots of good monitoring tools.
They will fight hard with BT and dispute ALL fees by default.
I will get native ipv6 which I want from aaisp.
My own static ip (I know plusnet do also).

On cost my usage is averaging around 110 gig a month reported by router, is logical to assuem usage reported by the isp will be higher, I plan to see if I can find usage figures of BT for my current usage but not sure if they supply it on unlimited connections.  So I would probably be happy with a 150 gig quota with ability to topup when needed.  aaisp with 80/20 and 150gig is £50 a month, to be fair to aaisp 150 gig is above what most people use.  I am a heavyish user.  But I am also not a super heavy user who downloads every movie/tv show released in 1080p.

I am not 100% decided yet I may end up at plusnet, I may even stay with BT.  But aaisp they have balls to suply 6 month deals on a 12 month wholesale contratc and also overide the silyl migration fees so I am leaning to them also by the fact they agree with my principles.

Zen by comparison seem horrific value and inflexible.  In the past zen were considered cheaper than aaisp.

idnet is also an option, they look an ok choice as well.

I dont want a £50 month broadband direct debit on my bank acc tho, so I plan to offer aaisp all 6 months up front on my card.

classic by revk here as mentioned by rizla. http://revk.www.me.uk/2013/02/do-bt-confirm-7-hour-fix-is-scam.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:06:27 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:07 AM »

>>> Sky I think will deploy cgnat at some point also, along with VM.

Of that I have absolutely no doubt... Im sure all the large ISPs are currently considering it.   Im just waiting for the first ISP to sneak it in without an opt out :/

>>>> The AAISP Home::1 service is NOT designed for families regardless of what RevK thinks. It might be do-able if it was just me but not with teenage kids streaming stuff constantly.

I tend to agree..  I dont download anything these days....  but I do stream a lot!!  I was looking at their packages not so very long back and realised they wouldnt be for me.  With more households getting wifi devices, smart TVs, Youview,  Xboxes, ipads etc..  the streaming content now means that a lot more houses use a lot more bandwidth.

Kitz I stream also, but my usage isnt a TB per month.

It is more than the default home::1 quota tho which is 50 gig.

Most of my usage is streaming I think, I do download console games, demos, and some tv/movie content.  But more and more of my usage is moving to streaming, I have a netflix account and sky go.  I dont use iplayer as much as I used to tho, bbc's cost cutting is getting worse and its like watching a 360p youtube on iplayer.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:06:10 AM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »

TBH Chris I dont have a clue what my usage is.  Been on Be Pro for too long that I just dont give it a second thought.

I'm not aware of doing any large downloads - it is all streaming.  According to DUMeter the PC uses about 50Gb per month which surprised me as I thought most of it would be FTP to the site, some of it may be backups though to the NAS, but its only one incremental, the rest should be to the mirror drive. 
Most of the streaming traffic though will be via the ipod, ipad, ATV and main (smart) TV on which there is no way to monitor usage.  My router seems to report very little as its only been up a few days.   I think the 50GB package would worry me and Id be frightened to stream. :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »

Well it will be a bit annoying not having unlimited use again, although its still unlimited on aaisp as long as I am prepared to pay extra if I go over the 150gig.  However I am finding it very annoying been on a static ip, and plusnet I remain cautious off.  I can forsee a slow profile update driving me nuts should my line start going crazy again.

I do agree there is a mental impact on a quota, even if well below the quota it makes you second think anything you do incase its too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything