Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: IPv4, IPv6 & CGNAT Discussion  (Read 14290 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: IPv4, IPv6 & CGNAT Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 10:07:02 PM »

The SR101 costs Sky around £12-15 per user, possibly a little more on delivery. Lets assume that the SR101 is fully capable of IPv6 firewalling/etc for a second (which it isn't with that build of Busybox)
Sky have 4,870,000 BB users. At £12 per user that is £58.5 million to replace the routers. Knowing Sky that isn't going to happen.

So then, presumably buying 02/Be in order to steal their IPv4 static addresses to add to Sky's dynamic pool, is their version of CGNAT and cost them less than £58.5M (or will do once they've started to push all their other packages at them)?

Its a holding action from Sky - acquires some more customers and puts off the inevitable really. Bear in mind that had Sky ANY plans for IPv6 then they wouldn't have released a "new" router late last year based on a Busybox build with no IPv6 stack.
So that's a yes, then.

Oh and CGNAT on mobiles has a lot more to do with censorship/monitoring traffic than anything else. Do bear in mind that mobile companies have had to block "adult" content from under-18s for the best part of a decade. The same mobile devices in Asia run on IPv6, not IPv4 and they are still CGNAT'd.
Very interesting no doubt, but a complete non-sequitur.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »

>> So that's a yes, then.

lol I'd take it as such  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »

>> So that's a yes, then.

lol I'd take it as such  :lol:

I thought it was obvious myself :)

Only difference between Sky and BT is that Sky are permitted to acquire new customers by buying ISPs; BT given their dominant position wouldn't be able to get any acquisitions past the OFT.

BT are therefore limited to attempting to purchase IPv4 address space from LIRs and that isn't working out at all. Hence the desperate position they find themselves in regarding address space.

I got no sympathy for any of them, they shouldn't have spent the last decade doing impressions of ostriches mmm?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »

...so....lol.... ....what about Anti-piracy & illegal activities?
- if 1 or more customers sharing an IP are doing illegal activites...what happens then with the other customers on that IP Address??   

I suppose the time of the "illegal activity" would need to be logged too the second and the ISP would need to keep records of who-does-what on that one IP address...
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:36 AM »

Looks like BT have been planning CGNAT for a while

I found the following BT doc dated 19th May 2011 about IPv6...  in it it states

Carrier Grade - Network Address Translation (CG-NAT)
To further offset the risks of IPv4 address exhaustion, BT will be introducing Carrier Grade-Network Address Translation (CG-NAT) – a technique in which one public IPv4 address is shared by several end users.  Following a feasibility study work has now started to prepare the Retail network to be able to deploy CG-NAT at scale for certain services. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »

...so....lol.... ....what about Anti-piracy & illegal activities?
- if 1 or more customers sharing an IP are doing illegal activites...what happens then with the other customers on that IP Address??   

I suppose the time of the "illegal activity" would need to be logged too the second and the ISP would need to keep records of who-does-what on that one IP address...

Its unlikely to present any sort of difficulty, BT Retail already have the means to record all connections you make anyway. If it did cause a problem then just turn peer to peer off, that's easy enough to do and given they're targeting the Option 1 users who think the internet is just websites, it is unlikely to cause any outcry.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 12:33:32 AM »

BT officially state only those users are affected but unlimited infinity based users have reported been cgnat'd.

In my drive to get a static ip back, I have been looking round and aaisp seem to actually be more competitive than people think, aaisp in my view is better value than zen and most of the business focused isp's.  Only plusnet stand out as a cheap isp with static ip's but seem to have a fair few problems that are enough to scare me off.

Sky I think will deploy cgnat at some point also, along with VM.  As these isp's have the attitude dynamic ip's are fine so wont think twice abotu deploying cgnat.  But they will also have a system in place to allow customers to not share ip's like Bt now have an opt out.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:23 AM »

@ Chrysalis - what scares you from PlusNet? as Iam thinking of jumping ship from sky LLu to plusnet

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51:58 AM »

In my drive to get a static ip back, I have been looking round and aaisp seem to actually be more competitive than people think, aaisp in my view is better value than zen and most of the business focused isp's.

They're certainly more reasonable than the last time I used them but having had a play around it appears they'd want to charge me at least £75/month for my current usage levels and that's being optimistic.

The AAISP Home::1 service is NOT designed for families regardless of what RevK thinks. It might be do-able if it was just me but not with teenage kids streaming stuff constantly.

The flip-side of course is that you would have an ISP who doesn't take any crap from BT Openreach and doesn't employ Indian script-monkeys for support :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »

>>> Sky I think will deploy cgnat at some point also, along with VM.

Of that I have absolutely no doubt... Im sure all the large ISPs are currently considering it.   Im just waiting for the first ISP to sneak it in without an opt out :/

>>>> The AAISP Home::1 service is NOT designed for families regardless of what RevK thinks. It might be do-able if it was just me but not with teenage kids streaming stuff constantly.

I tend to agree..  I dont download anything these days....  but I do stream a lot!!  I was looking at their packages not so very long back and realised they wouldnt be for me.  With more households getting wifi devices, smart TVs, Youview,  Xboxes, ipads etc..  the streaming content now means that a lot more houses use a lot more bandwidth.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

How is it that AAISP take no crap from bto..?  What does that mean exactly? I'm sure they suffer at the hands of bto just as much as the next isp?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »

The good reverend does not take crap from BT and indeed publishes the more insane aspects of dealing with them on his blog.

I found the one about FTTC provides particularly Kafkaesque :D

He occasionally mentions good bits of kit which he doesn't actually make but uses - like this one :

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/zoneflex-indoor/7363

Cost is around £400 or so but what a lovely bit of kit. He's named his 8 BSSIDs like this -

5Ghz BSSIDs:

Episode IV
A NEW HOPE
It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
-the evil Galactic Empire
AAISP

2.4GHz BSSIDs are much along the same lines :)

This one "only" has 14 antenna elements and 320 signal paths. Its big brother has 19 antenna elements and 4,224 signal paths.

Very nice indeed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:41:44 PM by rizla »

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »

>>>> The AAISP Home::1 service is NOT designed for families regardless of what RevK thinks. It might be do-able if it was just me but not with teenage kids streaming stuff constantly.

I tend to agree..  I dont download anything these days....  but I do stream a lot!!  I was looking at their packages not so very long back and realised they wouldnt be for me.  With more households getting wifi devices, smart TVs, Youview,  Xboxes, ipads etc..  the streaming content now means that a lot more houses use a lot more bandwidth.

That's the thing, you can only shift so much usage into the wee small (unmetered on AAISP) hours. Still Home::1 has a usage allowance I'd never have thought to see from AAISP so that's improved since I used them. I wonder if Shaun's spelling has got better as well - I think it was Shaun anyway, been a fair few years.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »

How is it that AAISP take no crap from bto..?  What does that mean exactly? I'm sure they suffer at the hands of bto just as much as the next isp?

Have you seen their prices.
They have never really been aimed at the home user, more the business user.
As ever, you pay your (at lot more) money and you get a better service.
They have the qualified staff at the ISP that know what they are on about and can talk 'tech' to BT so neither wastes each others time.
In general the more expensive business contracts get a better response time and attitude than the home user.
To be honest so it should be.
Commercial broadband should be regarded as a different product/setup/concept to cheap and cheerful domestic/retail broadband.

Many years ago when my employer a large company was setting up a mobile phone contract with one of the big mobile companies one of the conditions we required was a dedicated special phone number to call for problems direct to the appropriate operations staff who we knew by name(s) at the mobile company.  We as a business were not going have our staff wasting business hours waiting in the general phone queue with the rest of the public to some wretched call centre and then to be cut off, transferred endlessly etc while the real issue was being ignored.
We were paying them a lot of money and got a lot of service in response. 

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »

What is an 'antenna element'? Sounds like it uses beamforming?!
£400 is bit steep... What sets it apart from yer standard router?... Sorry for all questions.. Lol

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Pages: 1 [2] 3