Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Master Socket OK?  (Read 2957 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Master Socket OK?
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »

Probably a stupid question but I'm not familiar with master sockets. Below is a picture of my master socket, it doesn't look like the typical master socket I used to have at my old house. Is it a normal master socket that can easily be dealt with(i.e. faceplate etc) when I have my FTTC broadband installed?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Master Socket OK?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

Assuming that is the the main Line Jack with the master components (capacitor, resistor and over voltage protection), then the installing engineer should replace it with a NTE5/A which would, in turn, be fitted with a SSFP.

If, however, that is a secondary LJU then the master LJU should be identified and the appropriate action, above, should be taken.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »

Is it me or is the socket upside-down, or was the cameraman doing a hand stand?!

cheers, a

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:57 PM »

Assuming that is the the main Line Jack with the master components (capacitor, resistor and over voltage protection), then the installing engineer should replace it with a NTE5/A which would, in turn, be fitted with a SSFP.

If, however, that is a secondary LJU then the master LJU should be identified and the appropriate action, above, should be taken.

OK, thanks for that.  :)

Is it me or is the socket upside-down, or was the cameraman doing a hand stand?!

I don't notice those type of things, which shows you my degree of insight into telephone sockets. The house I've moved into was renovated before I arrived and I think that involved work on the phone socket i.e. moving it, I've no idea who did the work but suspect BT weren't involved. I could probably delve deeper into the topic with the renovator but  perhaps it's better I don't know.  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:15 AM »

Is it me or is the socket upside-down,

:hmm:  Hmm . . . yes, now that you have mentioned it, I have to agree -- it is fitted upside down in the backing box!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything