Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!  (Read 25449 times)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »

I am finding that when ever my treadmill is started our internet connection is dropped.

I have tried 3 different routers now and all are affected.

I have a filtered faceplate, with the adsl cable going directly into the router.

I have Belkin Gold surgemaster but do not know if this can be utilised in any way to protect the dsl (it protects the normal phones via the inbuilt phone sockets).

I know that I can try plugging the treadmill into a socket in a different part of my house (which I will do) or moving the treadmill (not an option).

I have also looked at whether a UPS would be of any use.

Can anybody offer any advice or suggestions?

???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »

Treadmills used to be fairly notorious for knocking out ADSL connections, but I haven't seen it mentioned recently. If the treadmill is new, I would take it back to where I bought it and demand a refund. Electrical equipment has to conform to interference regulations, and I doubt that your does (although I admit to knowing nothing about the subject).

If that isn't an option, then I suppose that you need to determine whether the interference is mains-borne or radiated. If the latter, then you might find relief by moving the treadmill as far away from the router as possible. If it's mains-borne, then an interference suppressor might do the trick.
  Eric

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »

Treadmills used to be fairly notorious for knocking out ADSL connections, but I haven't seen it mentioned recently. If the treadmill is new, I would take it back to where I bought it and demand a refund. Electrical equipment has to conform to interference regulations, and I doubt that your does (although I admit to knowing nothing about the subject).

If that isn't an option, then I suppose that you need to determine whether the interference is mains-borne or radiated. If the latter, then you might find relief by moving the treadmill as far away from the router as possible. If it's mains-borne, then an interference suppressor might do the trick.

Thanks Roseway for the swift reply.

The treadmill is about 3 years old now, it cant really be moved anywhere else (except in the garden and the missus wont have that! nor will she let me chuck it in the skip!).

The treadmill is currently in a completely different room separated by a blockwork wall and has an airing cupboard in between it.

I don't seem to have any other issues with electrical devices i.e. tablet pc etc.

Any idea's how I could go about further testing?

I figured I could try in another socket  outside of the ring which powers the router (we have 2x separate ring mains) to see if that affects the router. If it does then I guess this would show its mains-borne.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »

Powering then treadmill from the other ring might make a difference (certainly worth trying), but obviously they're joined together at the consumer unit, so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to persuade your missus to use an exercise bike instead. ;D

My guess would be that it's probably mains-borne interference, in which case a suppressor on the supply to the treadmill would be the best solution.
  Eric

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to persuade your missus to use an exercise bike instead. ;D
Thats funny because she does that as well but wont give up the treadmill!  :doh:

My guess would be that it's probably mains-borne interference, in which case a suppressor on the supply to the treadmill would be the best solution.
Can you point me in the direction of such a suppressor? Is it the sort of thing I could find in Maplin? Is it something I have to plug in? Or something I'd need to wrap around the power cable?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

This is an area I know little about, but the common Belkin surge suppressors usually include RFI filtering as well. Take this one as an example: 6-socket Belkin surge suppressor. It claims 58 dB RFI suppression, which sounds good, but you'd need to look at the spec more closely.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »

A supressor could also make the interference less effective in disturbing to ADSL.

I would do a web search - Maplin is a place to start, not sure but adverts were on the web last time I looked. The best type would be small enough to go right inside the bike housing - so there isn't a few feet of cable to a filtered socket set to radiate.

You could use a transistor radio to prove it is the source if you aren't sure

JGO

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

This is an area I know little about, but the common Belkin surge suppressors usually include RFI filtering as well. Take this one as an example: 6-socket Belkin surge suppressor. It claims 58 dB RFI suppression, which sounds good, but you'd need to look at the spec more closely.

Thanks again Roseway, The below is in fact what im using and is a better version than that you linked to http://www.belkin.com/uk/F9G723-3M-F/p/P-F9G723-3M-F however..............

:-[ On checking the wiring behind the Tv unit the router wasn't plugged into it (there's 12 sockets back there!  :o), I have one normal 4 way surge protector and the 8 way Belkin Gold surge protector. I have switched some of the sockets around so that the router is in the Belkin Gold surge protector but will have to wait until tomorrow until the missus is again on the treadmill to find out if it has helped.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »

A supressor could also make the interference less effective in disturbing to ADSL.

I would do a web search - Maplin is a place to start, not sure but adverts were on the web last time I looked. The best type would be small enough to go right inside the bike housing - so there isn't a few feet of cable to a filtered socket set to radiate.

You could use a transistor radio to prove it is the source if you aren't sure

JGO

Thanks JGO,

I did try a search but the results were inconclusive. Most suggestion were to move the treadmill but this is not an option for me. I will have a look at Maplin though and see if anything shows up.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »

Thanks again Roseway, The below is in fact what im using and is a better version than that you linked to http://www.belkin.com/uk/F9G723-3M-F/p/P-F9G723-3M-F however..............

:-[ On checking the wiring behind the Tv unit the router wasn't plugged into it (there's 12 sockets back there!  :o), I have one normal 4 way surge protector and the 8 way Belkin Gold surge protector. I have switched some of the sockets around so that the router is in the Belkin Gold surge protector but will have to wait until tomorrow until the missus is again on the treadmill to find out if it has helped.

Just one thing - what I was suggesting was that the treadmill should be suppressed, rather than the router. This would stop interference from the treadmill getting into the mains wiring and potentially radiating all over the place. What you're currently doing might solve the problem anyway, but if it doesn't then I suggest that you try using the surge suppressor with the treadmill.
  Eric

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

Just one thing - what I was suggesting was that the treadmill should be suppressed, rather than the router. This would stop interference from the treadmill getting into the mains wiring and potentially radiating all over the place. What you're currently doing might solve the problem anyway, but if it doesn't then I suggest that you try using the surge suppressor with the treadmill.

Thanks again Roseway,

Any problem therefore with me pursuing a suppressor as you suggest as well? It could only help could it not?

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

"Any problem therefore with me pursuing a suppressor as you suggest as well? It could only help could it not? "

At very worst it wouldn't make things worse. The best option would be a combined supressor, which "squashes" the interfering pulse, and a line filter which keeps the interference at home, was it  by 58 dB ? which is a power reduction of about 700,000:1 by my mental arithmetic - useful !

JGO

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »

Thanks JGO,

I'm still not entirely sure what it is i'll be looking for.

I typed 'Suppressor' into Maplin and the result has not helped at all :-[

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »

There's a hefty PDF article on RFI here by Jim Brown K9YC [1].   It's written for radio hams, but much should apply here too :-)

cheers, a

[1] http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »

There's a hefty PDF article on RFI here by Jim Brown K9YC [1].   It's written for radio hams, but much should apply here too :-)

cheers, a

[1] http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Thanks for the info asbokid  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything