Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sell-by dates on crisps  (Read 7278 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Sell-by dates on crisps
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »

I was just listening to Radcliffe and Maconie on BBC 6 music and someone tweeted an observation that the sell by date on packets of crisps always falls on a Saturday.

Tish and pish I thought, that's just daft.

Then I looked at some packets, unopened and from the rubbish bin. 

Every date is indeed a Saturday.  All different manufacturers too.

Stock control systems weekly rotations etc etc is probably the boring explanation but this fact has delighted me.

Ian

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Sell-by dates on crisps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »

It's right!  :'(
That most certainly is a strange fact indeed. I look frward to some of the answers.
Thank you for that Ian.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »

I'll remember that for the next time I find myself in need of a conversational opening at a cocktail party. ;D
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »

Talking of crisps,some rather startling information here.. :o

Last week a YouGov poll found that a third of British children eat crisps every day.
The other two-thirds of UK children eat them several times a week.
In fact, Britons polish off six billion packets a year — the equivalent of one ton of crisps every three minutes or almost 100 packets per person.
Snacking on a packet a day — as so many of Britain’s children now do — can add up to the equivalent of drinking almost five litres of cooking oil per year to their diet.
That is not to mention fat, sugar and salt the packs contain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2305983/Crisps-Eating-pack-day-like-drinking-FIVE-LITRES-cooking-oil-The-frightening-truth-crisps.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

Hmmm....   as I read this thread I have a packet of half eaten Walkers on my desk so I looked at the sell by date.

16-03-13

This leads to the question...
How the heck have I ended up with out of date crisps..  because they dont usually stay in my cupboard very long!!!!

I can confirm they still taste fine despite being past the sell by date.. good job Id eaten most of the packet before seeing this thread and checking the BB date.  :lol:

----

Ive just gone downstairs to check the others in there which are fine, so it must have just been one stray packet?  I normally buy multipacks that i open then chuck into the 'crisps basket'...  but I did spy with my little eye a packet of Seabrooks crisps with the sell by of 5JUN13  (which is a Wednesday).

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »

Hmmm....   as I read this thread I have a packet of half eaten Walkers on my desk so I looked at the sell by date.

16-03-13

This leads to the question...
How the heck have I ended up with out of date crisps..  because they dont usually stay in my cupboard very long!!!!

Sounds like you have been shopping at one of my local shops, practically everything they sell is either 'Out Of Date' or very close to the BB date.

A long time ago I contacted Trading Standards and they said providing there was a notice warning people of the dates then there was nothing they can do as it is only a guide date (Best Before), obviously I now always check the dates when shopping there, but make the point of talking about the out of dates goods at the counter when other people can see and hear me, and no they do not consider me as being one of their better customers, actually it's a wonder after this length of time (12 years) that they have not banned me from shopping there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »

>>> Sounds like you have been shopping at one of my local shops, practically everything they sell is either 'Out Of Date' or very close to the BB date.

Perhaps..  I really have no idea because I dont normally look at sell by dates on crisps!

I must admit Im likely one of those who eats more crisps than I should..  because they always go well with a sandwich..  so to find a packet of Walkers cheese and onion that was out of date was a bit of a surprise. :-X

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »

Sounds the same as myself, to find sweets in my house is exceptionally rare, except when they have been put in the cupboard out of sight. (Out of sight, Out of mind)

I don't have the link any longer but there is a site that only sells close to out of date goods.

Edit:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=out+of+date+goods+website&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

edit:
Typo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:21:17 PM by oldfogy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »

I dont normally (knowingly) buy out of date stuff.... 

I do know that a few weeks ago I did buy 2 x 5 packs of Walkers cheese and onion which were only a quid from HomeBargains.  This could be the reason, as I normally get the 6 multipacks from Asda.  I really cant say for sure because I just didnt ever look at dates on crisps... until now! ...  and I will be doing in future.

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »

For things like crisps, the sell-by date is a bit pointless. You're not going to get poisoned by out of date crisps - the worst that could happen (if they're very old) is that they could lose their crispness, or possibly deteriorate a bit in flavour. Supermarkets waste enormous quantities of perfectly edible food as a result of the sell-by dates.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »

Supermarkets waste enormous quantities of perfectly edible food as a result of the sell-by dates.

Or from an alternative perspective, the generate huge amounts of income by making people think they need to replace perfectly good food.

Less cynically, the exact wording makes a difference.   If I recall right...

'Best before'... might mean the food is perfectly safe long after the date.  The flavour or texture may degrade, but it won't poison you.

'use by'... may be more serious, and might mean the food becomes dangerous to eat and might indeed poison you.   I personally never exceed 'use by' dates, at least not at weekends when the NHS is closed.

'sell by'... hmmm, not sure.   Taken literally, it implies nothing at all about flavour, texture or poisonous potential.   More like a contractual sales objective for the distributors?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 10:25:56 PM »

OH well I can confirm that the packet that I ate which was 3 weeks past their sell by tasted perfectly fine... 
I wouldnt have even noticed if it wasnt for the fact I was half way munching through a pack if it wasnt for this thread which made me look  ???

... and I can also confirm there were no ill effects for having eaten them  :D
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »

I always sniff my packets first. Just to check they've not got that DNS poisoning thingy what was on the B.B.C.

cheers a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »

I always sniff my packets first. Just to check they've not got that DNS poisoning thingy

Clever...

*groan*
 :lol:
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

:lol:
  Eric