Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: adsl aol slow speed  (Read 7880 times)

guysie1

adsl aol slow speed
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »

Hi my very first post so please be gentle  ;D

I really hope you guys can help, I use aol the exchange is Rye,had bt out to check the line they found a fault and rectified it and stated your speed should be faster now, but its not.

Constant phone calls to aol and they advised there is nothing wrong with the line so it must be the router, so they sent me a new router but to no avail, speed is still slow. A friend of mine is on aol about 8 doors away with the identical router that aol sent me she gets a download speed around 1.2mbps my download speed is around 390kbps.

I have had around 2 or 3 faults with my line and bt engineer told me there is now nothing wrong with the line and it must be the software in the exchange, aol also called bt out to check my line but found nothing wrong, i have also tried a laptop with the ethernet cable plugged directly in but still the slow speeds.
I am not a tech guru but any help you may be able to give would be very much appreciated thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: adsl aol slow speed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:52:42 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Can you please provide us with the linestats from your router, so we can try have a look at whats going on.

~ How to get your router linestats
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

guysie1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

Hi many thanks for getting back  :)

The router model is not listed in the dropdown menu, its a HUAWEI ECHOLIFE HG532

thanks

guysie1

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »

Found it these are the details

System Uptime 2:36:29
Modem DSL(Sync) uptime 2:36:00
ADSL Mode ADSL2 
Interleaving On 
   Up  Down 
DSL Line Speed 625 kbps  460 kbps 
Line Attenuation 42.1 dB  71.0 dB 
SN Margin 11.7 dB  8.9 dB 
Total Errors Seconds 0

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »

That's a truly awful performance. This could be the result of a line fault, or it could be a problem with your own internal wiring. I suggest that in the first instance you read through this guide and the associated pages: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm . If anything needs more explanation do come back and ask.

[Edit] My apologies - I read the attenuation figures the wrong way round. :-[

As was said later, it's a very long line, and the best you can hope for is to get some small improvement by optimising your own wiring and components.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:36:33 PM by roseway »
  Eric

guysie1

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »

Many thanks for your quick response, will try your ideas out and let you know the outcom :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

Hmmm, if he's truly at 71dB attenuation (DS), it's roughly what one might expect speedwise ?? Especially as the SNR hasn't altered dramatically from the default 6dB.

However, if the neighbour is getting 1.2Meg, it does sound like 'enhancements' may be possible on the wiring. Bated breath. ;D

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »

It might also be interesting to know what the predicted speed (and line length) are for your service.  Then a judgement might be made on whether that 71dB figure is within expectation or indicative that something is wrong somewhere.

Although it's only an estimate, this page can be useful http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

What are your predicted speeds, and estimated line lengths?

Ian

guysie1

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

Fixed ADSL:  256 kbps (0.3 Mb) 
 DSL Max:   500 kbps (0.5 Mb) 
  21CN WBC : Not Available   
Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps not possible
 radsl:  Line has over 75dB loss, ADSL unlikely, but will be tested by an engineer on-site
 MAX:  ADSL Max is available
 TPON:  No info in database

guysie1

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »

Exchange: Rye BT Code: NDRYE
Distance:- Direct:    4.8 km
  (appx)* By Road: 7.4 km
  Status   
 ADSL enabled: June 4, 2003
 DSL Max enabled:  March 31, 2006
 21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
 21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A 
 FTTC RFS date 
 SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
  Broadband Access† Market 2
 BTw Pricing Band  Band E

guysie1

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

Hi guys many thanks for your help so far i usually use http://internet-speedtest.net/ my question is that currently at 14.08pm my speed is ds 413 us 454.

I have now moved my pc unit nearer the main phone socket,rather than using the extension adsl lead i use the one that comes with the router, when i do the speedtest above why does it start smooth then it stutters suddenly goes fast then slows down again when it is downloading?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as others have pointed out 71dB attenuation indicates a very long line which is why your speeds are so slow :(

61.5dB is the usually the highest that most routers record and 71dB equates to approx 5.1 Km of copper.
The line checker reports over 75dB and a maximum speed 500kbps of so it would perhaps appear that your line is optimised as best it can.

Im very surprised that no-one at AOL or BT has told you the real reason why your line is problematic :(

It would however  be interesting to see your neighbours line stats... its possible that her line follows a different route.
BlackSheep is probably the best person to discuss your options (if any)

>>> why does it start smooth then it stutters suddenly goes fast then slows down again when it is downloading

The further away from the exchange you are, the harder it is for your router to hear the signal, sometimes it doesnt hear it properly and this causes errors... its kind of like someone hard of hearing keep saying pardon and having to repeat things before they get the full story.  Theres an analogy of this on What is SNR

There is however a glimmer of hope:-

>> FTTC RFS date <<<

That means a date has been set in the near future.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »

"Constant phone calls to aol and they advised there is nothing wrong with the line so it must be the router"

Without disputing the advice in this thread, AOL's comment is too flip !   With the amount of attenuation you are reporting the signal is feeble and VERY easily interfered with so this is another factor.

Have you taken the normal precautions ? interrupting the ring wire and running the router directly connected to the master socket ? I wouldn't expect this to do miracles but you might get a useful improvement.

guysie1

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »

I have gone directly into bt test socket with the router but no improvement in speed, we used to get around 1mb, then since we had problems with our phoneline we have had these speed problems.

what is the FTTC RFS?

I think our exchange has reached the procurement stage regardin fibre.

update about 50 metres away from where we live bt seem to be putting a new green box in, its not like the standard what i would call junction box any ideas about this?

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »

FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet
RFS = Ready for service

The secondary cabinet you see being put in place is indeed the fibre twin alongside the existing unit.
It will be linked to the existing cabinet by undergroudn ducting and will need a power supply for it - it is basically a mini-exchange.
If you are indeed just 50 yards away and your line is connected to that cabinet then you will get some mega speeds once the cabinet is 'live' and you are able to swap to FTTC service as the broadband will then come from the cabinet rather than from the exchange.
Pages: [1] 2

anything