Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM Changed?  (Read 2964 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
DLM Changed?
« on: February 14, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »

I've been on a LLU package for quite a while so am wondering whether BT's DLM has changed at all(or is going to change)?  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: DLM Changed?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

You need to expand on your question a bit more than that, my friend. :)

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »

OK ... I really dislike(d) BT's DLM system, it drops like a stone in a few hours and takes days to recover if you have a sub par line(IMHO the Cable & Wireless LLU product is far better for users in that respect). I'd like to think that BT might have, or are going to, change the DLM system but don't have my ear to the ground like the forum experts here.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »

I guess you're talking about the IP profile. On ADSL2+ connections, The IP profile is always 88.2% of the connection speed, so there's no delay when your sync speed increases. But BT's DLM is still subject to increases in the target SNR margin, which can take a long time to come back down afterwards.
  Eric

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.   :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »

DLM has changed a bit. On 21CN, getting the SNRM fixed is easier than on 20CN, however, you have to get a person who has access to the right tools.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »

On 20CN DSL, (pretty much like the latest VDSL), even when the fault is repaired the engineer/EU would need to have the circuit manually reset.

21CN is different, in as much as once the fault is fixed, the synch and throughput speeds immediately 'catch up'. The only caveat to be applied, is that this wont happen if the circuit has been faulty for quite a while, and the DLM has instigated a 'Banded profile'. A manual reset will still be required in this case.