Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can I daisy chain a router to a router to a router???  (Read 2320 times)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
Can I daisy chain a router to a router to a router???
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »

I currently have a main router (only G) with the Wireless off, connected to a second router (which is wireless N), this is then wired to 1gb switch for my home network.

2x of the devices connected to the switch via Cat5e at the furthest end of the house (one in a room each) get a poor wifi signal.

I have 2x spare Netgear DG834's and wondered if I could plug one of these each into the sockets and utilise the wireless in each of the rooms and plug the device in that room into these routers?

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance.

:)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can I daisy chain a router to a router to a router???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:04 PM »

I would say a cautious 'Yes' to your idea.  :-\

You would need to carefully consider where NAT'ing is taking place (ideally by one device at the edge of your home LAN), what is providing DNS services, etc.

Essentially you are asking if you could connect the LAN outlet (in each of those two rooms) to one of the LAN sockets on the Netgear DG834 and use that device as (1) a three port switch and (2) a WAP. It seems feasible -- if the DG834 can be configured appropriately.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.