Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Patrick Moore RIP  (Read 7100 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Patrick Moore RIP
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, dies aged 89

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 BST this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Patrick Moore RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »

What a character he was. The Sky at Night must have been the inspiration for countless amateur astronomers (and very probably some professional ones as well). RIP.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

The loss of another 'Institution'.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »

Yes, another great loss. Thank you Patrick for the inspiration you have given throughout the years.
R.I.P.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:16:02 PM »

Yes, another great loss. Thank you Patrick for the inspiration you have given throughout the years.
R.I.P.
He certainly inspired me to an interest in astronomy.

Mind you I had noticed in the last few episodes of the Sky at night that he had not been presenting as much as recent years and other presenters were doing much of the talking and this was probably because of his failing health.

Still he was a legend in my eyes  :(
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »

A huge inspiration to so many and a sad sad loss :(

----

Slightly OT

Today we have Brian Cox, another great inspiration for science, physics and astronomy.  Prof Cox is another inspiring scientest with huge enthusiasm and seemingly vast knowledge.
Hes also damn good looking, and I love all the shows he's done..  but is it just me thats noticed that ever present wide smile thats there ALL the time.  Theres only once when Ive seen Brian Cox without that huge grin on his face, and that was when he was in some centrifugal machine experiencing an extremely high g-force... which turned his face to mush.  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »

Came across as quite eccentric but was a very knowledgeable and talented man.

R.I.P Patrick

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »

Being in the Telescope indusry years ago I had the chance to bump into him quite literaly quite a few times. He had a habit of stepping on my feet (accidentaly of course)

A true gentleman, always made time for those around him and a good sense of humor

For such a big chap I always wondered where on Earth did he get those trousers. If indeed it was Earth.

He was such a great demonstration of how an amatuer can be as knowledgable as the professional and earned their respect.

Although one lasting image is his appearence in A christmas special on Morcambe and Wise.

It's great to see the mantle in everyones eyes being seamingly passed to the likes of Chris Lintott and Dr Brian Cox with their obvious enthusiasem

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »

Slightly OT . . .

Regarding Brian Cox, I still recognise him as the keyboard player of D:Ream;)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:05:51 PM »

Slightly OT . . .

Regarding Brian Cox, I still recognise him as the keyboard player of D:Ream;)

I can recomend listening to the Infinate Monkey cage on Radio 4. Definately worth getting the Pod Cast. They normaly make the odd quip refering to #Things can only get better#

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »

Slightly OT

Today we have Brian Cox, another great inspiration for science, physics and astronomy.  Prof Cox is another inspiring scientest with huge enthusiasm and seemingly vast knowledge.
Hes also damn good looking, and I love all the shows he's done..  but is it just me thats noticed that ever present wide smile thats there ALL the time.  Theres only once when Ive seen Brian Cox without that huge grin on his face, and that was when he was in some centrifugal machine experiencing an extremely high g-force... which turned his face to mush.  :-\
Yeah I've noticed that too perhaps he's just smiling for the TV cameras !
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:46:23 PM »

The Beeb has just shown a program as a tribute to Partrick. 

It showed some clips from his early career (before even my time) but what it was interesting to see, is just how even back then he used ways to enthuse a younger generation.
Im quite open to be corrected but back then I would have thought science and kid programes would have been a bit stuffy (thinking of how presenters spoke), but he was down to earth and even what must have been considered 'wacky' at the time.

He was said to respond personally to every single letter that a youngster sent and he spent many many hours tapping away on an old typewriter.  It was also lovely and so refreshing to see someone with much humility..  yet also so willing to poke fun at himself.

Recommended viewing if its available on iplayer.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »

Recommended viewing if its available on iplayer.

Thanks for the nod, Kitz. I'll make a point in finding the program and watching it.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »

I'll give it a try but theres almost nothing on I-player that works outside the UK for tv  :'(
I've sent the suggestion to the BBC That I'm sure plenty of others as well as me would be prepaired to pay to get BBC programming.

BBC America is almost just Gordon Ramsay and Top Gear with a bit of Star trek. Although there is the occasional drama. I havn't seen copperhead but heard its up to the wonderfull BBC standard. We loved Midwifes so much we got the DVD (Bought it via the UK as the same dvd costs 6 times as much here)

For all those who moan about the BBC, be carefull for what you wish for. The BBC keeps other competing broadcasting in the UK to a higher standard. You wouldn't want the general quality of whats avalable here in the US. PBS is a bit of an oddball in the way its funded here and plenty would do away with it just for that principal.

Something like the Sky at night wouldn't ever come to fruition here. The general quality of documentaries (when you can find one) are basic, sensationalist and repetative.

I loved the programming on the BBC, TV and radio. I had radio's 4,5 and 1 on when ever I could. I can get most of radio 4 on line. Sirius is avalable as a subcribed satelite radio which has radio 1.

But the fact in the UK we can have the Likes of Patrick or Brian Cox, Marcus De Sautoy and many others ,as well known "personalities" for their knowlege and presentation as opposed to being a media wannabe.

Looking through the Beeb website shows a wonderful Aladdins cave of gems to watch and listen too

The fact that someone dedicated to their interest. Enthusiastic to share knowlege such as Patrick. Is given a platform to do so, and do it well.

Does any one remember the old series "Out of Town" with a chap named Jack ? (You may reconise the parody on the Fast Show with Bob Flemming) I loved watching that on ITV on Sunday morlings before Thunderbirds

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »

Just finished watching the program. It was a nice tribute.

Does any one remember the old series "Out of Town" with a chap named Jack ?

Why yes. The presenter was Jack Hargreaves and the original theme song was sung by Max Bygraves.

Pages: [1] 2

anything