Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Patrick Moore RIP  (Read 7095 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Patrick Moore RIP
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »

Sung by Max Bygraves ? I always remember guitar music with no vocals to the image of a couple of shire horses pulling a plow. Or maby I'm applying a different memory to this program.

It certainly cannot be confused with thunderbirds......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 01:58:32 AM »

>>> be careful what you wish for.

I agree.  Although the beeb is far from perfect it does at least set some sort of quality standard for the other channels.   The BBC as a whole provide quite a lot of services not just TV/radio..  and I'm quite a fan of their documentaries and science/educational stuff... and I love i-player. :)

Having seen a fair share of American TV (admittedly many years ago), but it certainly makes you appreciate what we have here :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »

The Beeb has just shown a program as a tribute to Patrick. 

It showed some clips from his early career (before even my time) but what it was interesting to see, is just how even back then he used ways to enthuse a younger generation.
Im quite open to be corrected but back then I would have thought science and kid programmes would have been a bit stuffy (thinking of how presenters spoke), but he was down to earth and even what must have been considered 'wacky' at the time.

He was said to respond personally to every single letter that a youngster sent and he spent many many hours tapping away on an old typewriter.  It was also lovely and so refreshing to see someone with much humility..  yet also so willing to poke fun at himself.

Recommended viewing if its available on iplayer.
Thanks for posting the above as I wouldn't have known otherwise as I rarely check the TV guide or Sky EPG !

Found it on iplayer and am going to watch it in a few minutes when I've had my breakfast !  ;D
Mike

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »

I'll give it a try but there's almost nothing on I-player that works outside the UK for tv  :'(

I've sent the suggestion to the BBC That I'm sure plenty of others as well as me would be prepaired to pay to get BBC programming.

2nd point first - I believe it is the BBC's intention to have a subscription-based iPlayer for the rest of the world.

1st point : If you're using Firefox browser, or care to install it, get the "modify-headers" add on , google for a tutorial, and bob's your uncle - the BBC iPlayer thinks you're in the UK when you're not :)

If you don't want EVERY website thinking you're in the UK, you might want to use another browser for other web stuff!

I've done it the other way - I like Jon Stewart's The Daily Show, but it's no longer on free to air TV in UK.  Complete shows are available on the Daily Show website, but only in the US.  The UK site just has very old clips to look at.

With modify headers, I can watch the Daily Show as if I was in the US!

Ian

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »

Oh thank you thank you thank you !

I am definately going to try that. I would go for a subscription to the I-player if and when it becomes avalable like a shot.

We do like the Daily show too. Quick, to the point humor with common sense. Saturday night live for me is a dissapointment. Seems to me its a shadow of what it was.

However if you are getting US programming I can recomend Watching Fox news just to see what its like. I was shocked. You get "Journalists" making very pro comments for one side of the political spectrum and very dismissive remarks against another. All the other presenters in agreement and making similar remarks.
 I heard about it but its not until you see it does it strike you how bad it is.

Now I'm thinking of all those factual programs, dramas, BBC Four :clap: (ohh we have the cable to link The wifes mac book to the big TV  8))

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »

I will be interested to know how you get on - after posting that message I discussion elsewhere of modify-headers NOT WORKING for the i-Player, though I can't quite see why it won't work.

So give it a go!

Proof it works from UK to US : Attachment 1 is Daily Show site from Chrome, without header modifiers
Attachment 2 is Daily Show site in FireFox which has modify-headers add-on installed.

(However, spot the other difference - there are no ads in the Chrome version, as I've got ad-blocker plus installed!  Haven't got that in Firefox (yet).  It's a great add-on!)

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »

As Ezzer is feeling wistful about the BBC (and I think most of us would if we lost it), here's a little song that rather sums it all up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzqfYV-6olc

Ian

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »

I'll let you know how I get on, It will be after the weekend as were up to Estes Park in the Mountains for a friends wedding, The other side of the Town to mine. But It is the same place where a polite Bear made the news this August, Entering a sweet shop 7 times and selecting English Toffees. He only dropped the one wrapper.

I might take the little pathetic telecope I got from a charity shop with me as Jupiter is overhead and we should be downwind of the fire (the last one form the many over this summer, its cast a permanent haze over Loveland for months)

Although I did start hunting round on the net about Patrick Moore and was stunned to find my old boss from the telescope shop I worked in had emigrated to the US some years back. And my heart stopped when I found this:

http://www.catamountsystems.com/archives/category/2-custom-c11-a-c8-schmidt-camera

Apart from the 1st studio photo (I was busy in college that day) I took all of these photos. This was my favorate time building scopes. We hand built this, no drawings, made it up as we went along. This one was for the British Antartic survey at the Halley Base. The main telecope is a celestron C11 but completely reworked & tuned up for the cold conditions. The black tube on top is an 8 inch schmidt camera direct from celestron untouched. The rest we made from plate and bar alluminium.
In the backround you can see some 6" newtonian tubes under construction. we normaly had 20-60 on the go with 5-20 8 or 10 inch assemblies under construction.

I did find it gaulling that soon after he downsized the company he's gone and made a springfield when he kept saying its a daft idea (I really wanted to try making one for myself)

I wondered where the photos went, gave me butterflies seeing some of them after so many years, sniff
Pages: 1 [2]