Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Banded profiles

(1/5) > >>

waltergmw:
Gentlefolk,

Just to add another fascinating ritual to this erudite conversation we have a set of data pertaining to AC20 as BE will testify.
This cct was ordered as a 40 / 2 Profile just to see how bad the initial connection would be.
Perhaps because a full moon was approaching we got some tolerably reasonable speeds for a line well over 1 km in length.
We noted that the upstream was capable of supporting around 5 Mbps so we decided to splash out on a £10 profile upgrade.
SIMPLES !!!! ?
Of coures not !!!
The order was completed with the usual extraordinary efficiency from Zen.
Everything worked perfectly including a new BT speed test saying we now had IP profiles of 22.76 Mbps down & 10 Mbps up.

Here endeth .... BUT NO !!!!
all BT actual speed tests refused to creep even a micron above  2.000Mbps.

Much scratching of everything by us and the indefatigable Zen folk !
It came to pass that we have a banded profile which can only be reset by a SFI BT physical visit to site, even though the problem must be within the configuration data.
We got an appointment the very next day by an excellent local BT Openreach engineer. Unsurprisingly he was clueless as to what a banded profile was and couldn't even open the FTTC anyway due to the fact that there are totally covered and protected 230 Volt components in it ! (The real reason is probably that the managers don't see a need to train such vital but lowly folk in the highly sophisticated equipment therein ! )

Now fortune was on our side as the engineer's JDSU indicated a clear line capacitance fault. This took a morning of thrashing up and down the hill from the EUs house to the PCP cutting and remaking crimps to isolate the faulty component. It turns out the brand new DSLAM tie cables were the cause and the fault was cured. The engineer was convinced that repairing the fault had magically cured our banded profile problem. I suspect his Control had observed that anomaly and then did the reset as a matter of course.

The end result is that we are delighted to have increased the download IP profile by a massive 4.74 Mbps due to the removal of the capacitance problem AND now have full access to the Attainable Net Data Rate:       5093 kbps    up and     27884 kbps  down.

The moral to this story is that we (and no doubt Zen) would have been perfectly happy if the control had been able to reset the banded profile without any engineer SFI appointment. However top marks to the very careful engineer who investigated and cured the entire problem.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat:
 :hmm:  Hmm . . . I think your posting is worthy of being in a thread of its own, Walter.

roseway:
I agree. Very interesting and certainly deserves its own thread.

burakkucat:
Thank you, Eric.  :)

--- Quote --- . . . to AC20 as BE will . . .

--- End quote ---

To alleviate any confusion over the above abbreviations, I will mention that AC20 is a resident of Ewhurst and BE is baldy bird, Bald_Eagle1, our line analysis expert.  :-X

Bald_Eagle1:

--- Quote from: waltergmw on December 01, 2012, 04:07:32 PM ---
The moral to this story is that we (and no doubt Zen) would have been perfectly happy if the control had been able to reset the banded profile without any engineer SFI appointment. However top marks to the very careful engineer who investigated and cured the entire problem.

--- End quote ---

Well done for holding out for the right result Walter & to Zen for pursuing it.

Along with Zen's own data, the statistical data confirming that US sync speed was indeed still capped at exactly 2Mb was obtained via a HG612 on an ECI DSLAM connection.

I wonder though if the same happy result would have been obtained if the user had been stuck with his locked down ECI modem, with the usual "your connection is performing within acceptable limits" and "as your connection's upstream speed has remained below 2Mb, that must be all your connection can achieve" sort of nonsense that I was told about my connection before I unlocked my HG612 modem & saw the stats for myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version