Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach SSFP vs ADSL Nation XTE-2005 vs microfilter  (Read 9002 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Openreach SSFP vs ADSL Nation XTE-2005 vs microfilter
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »

As recommended by burakkucat, I ordered an Openreach style SSFP for a distant relative.  This arrived today, so I thought I'd have a play with it first, to see that it works ok  ;D

I currently use an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate, that does the same task as the SSFP - filtering the ADSL away from extension sockets. 

So I thought I'd do some comparisons between them.  I also thought I'd test the traditional method of using a dangly microfilter, and also only using the test socket with everything else disconnected.  The results slightly surprised me! 

Before you look at the test figures, make a guess as to which one you think will give the best throughput!

SYNCHSYNCHATT  ATT  S/NS/N
SocketUPDOWNUPDWNUPDWN
ADSL Nation10202111811.3229.26
SSFP - no extensions10202124311.3229.36
SSFP - filtered extensions10202117311.3229.36
STD Socket & extensions10202109811.4229.86
Test socket10202095611.42210.16
ADSL Nation10202102711.32210.56.1

So, as far as my line and modem are concerned, there is no difference between the ADSL Nation and the Openreach SSFP.

In fact, all the figures are so close to each other, it's quite surprised me.  Especially as I originally bought the ADSL Nation filtered faceplate because I was having problems with ADSL noise affecting the voice quality of the line.

Analogue telephone quality was good on all tests as well. 

It would seem that removing the rogue dog leg spur I found a while back on the phone extensions has resolved the ADSL noise problem, that or it's just gone away!  This is the first time I've removed the filtered faceplate since I fitted it about a year ago.

Any thoughts?  Were the results what you expected?  ;)

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Openreach SSFP vs ADSL Nation XTE-2005 vs microfilter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »

I am surprised that test five, direct connection to the test socket, showed a DS sync just a tad lower than all the rest. Was it performed via a lead fitted with a standard BT plug at one end and a RJ11 plug at the other?

Am I right in assuming that tests four and five were via a dangly microfilter?

However I do not understand what you did for test six. Or are you showing us the result after you had reinstated everything, so that it is just a repeat of test one?  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »

I am surprised that test five, direct connection to the test socket, showed a DS sync just a tad lower than all the rest. Was it performed via a lead fitted with a standard BT plug at one end and a RJ11 plug at the other?

I was rather surprised at that too!

Foolishly, I forgot to dig out my BT to RJ-11 lead for that test.  I used a D-Link Microfilter plugged into the test socket, with my usual RJ-11 to RJ-11 lead plugged into that.

Am I right in assuming that tests four and five were via a dangly microfilter?
Yes, the aforementioned D-Link microfilter, that was probably supplied with my D-Link modem.

However I do not understand what you did for test six. Or are you showing us the result after you had reinstated everything, so that it is just a repeat of test one?  ???

Yes, should have made that clear.  It was just a test-after-putting-it-all-back.

Given the problems I'd originally had last year, I confidently assumed that the standard socket & extensions test would be significantly poorer than the others, and that the ADSL noise problem would re-appear.  It did not.

My extension wiring must be pretty good now I've got rid of that dog-leg! :)

Was mildly disappointed that the new SSFP didn't give me just a fraction more throughput though!  I like improving things  ;D

Still, hopefully it'll do good when installed on relative's setup, which has a lot of straggling flat untwisted bellwire-enabled extension wiring.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:04:49 AM »

Foolishly, I forgot to dig out my BT to RJ-11 lead for that test.  I used a D-Link Microfilter plugged into the test socket, with my usual RJ-11 to RJ-11 lead plugged into that.

Tut, tut. You are not quite the experimentalist that I thought you might be. You have now lost another point, having made that disclosure.  :P

hopefully it'll do good when installed on relative's setup, which has a lot of straggling flat untwisted bellwire-enabled extension wiring.

I'm certain it will undoubtedly help. And that you will also provide some before and after statistics to illustrate the improvement.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:08:49 AM by burakkucat »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:07:44 AM »

another thing to consider -> sync speeds are never exactly the same between reboots, they always differ by small percentages (as you can see in tests 1 and 6) - I would say these results dont show any differences at all, its likely any noise problem you had before is now gone, as you say that "rogue dog's leg spur" ..whatever that was.. must have been the problem.

Ive heard that the BT Openreach ones are better because they are PASSIVE filters whereas ADSLnation XTE ones are ACTIVE and these can fail quicker..or something like that, Iam not 100% sure on that, perhaps B'Kat knows?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »

Ive heard that the BT Openreach ones are better because they are PASSIVE filters whereas ADSLnation XTE ones are ACTIVE and these can fail quicker..or something like that, Iam not 100% sure on that, perhaps B'Kat knows?

My only reason for for preferring passive over active filters is that there are less components in the former to 'go wrong'!  ::)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »

The only difference I've noticed is some filters have 2 coils, some like the ssfp have 4

(the handy thing with lightning is that you get to see the insides of stuff)

anything