Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with HG612 Please  (Read 2885 times)

twitch

• Just arrived
Help with HG612 Please
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

Hello,

Well...

I have been trying to get the HG612 to act as all-in-one, as I have no need for the homehub or wirelss.

I have unlocked it and have followed the guides here and on ADSLguide.
But I am failing and am nearly bald....   :shrug2:

I am either realy stupid or am missing something  (brains).

This is what I am doing..

On the left, go to Basic > WAN  (here there are 2 connections ptm1.101 and ptm1.301 which one do I change ? Both ?)
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username (yes I put my details here )
Password: Your FTTC password     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(thanks to James at ADSL24)

But no joy, no websites load ...  but my network card says internet access !!!

So Then I do ...

The router will now handle the PPPoE connection. To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left, and simply tick the Enable DHCP box, then Submit

Do I need to enter anyother details, as there are fields that are blank but have an asterix next to them (start and end IP)

Thanks,
Mike

p.s  Great site   :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Help with HG612 Please
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

To start with have you reviewed http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612? It is what I used to get me online with ADSL2+ on my HG612.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

twitch

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »

To start with have you reviewed http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612? It is what I used to get me online with ADSL2+ on my HG612.

Stuart

Hello,

Well I had a quick look....but as it says..  "The following pages show images from the device's GUI once it had been re-configured for use with an ADSL2 broadband service using PPPoA"

Not VDSL2

Also it says to tick both port binding lan ports, unlike the other guide ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »

Well, you certainly need at least one of the LAN ports to be enabled, otherwise you won't be able to connect to the HG612. If you tick both of them, you can use both of them.

Eric

twitch

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »

Well, you certainly need at least one of the LAN ports to be enabled, otherwise you won't be able to connect to the HG612. If you tick both of them, you can use both of them.

If both are unticked I can still connect to the HG612, even after a restart of both PC and Modem

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »

^-^ twitch,

If you have a FTTC service, implying a VDSL2 metallic path between the cabinet and your NTE5/A, then you do not need to change any of the HG612's configuration to establish a connection to just one computer.

Perhaps you should try that first, to gain sufficient confidence? Just perform a long-reset of the HG612 (at least 10 seconds) and it will be back to the original Openreach configuration (but will still be unlocked). Now connect your test system to the LAN1 port and configure the system to establish a PPPoE connection, using the login credentials that are stored in (and supplied by) the router. As you mention "I have no need for the homehub", I'll take that as confirmation that you are subscribed to BT Infinity. In that case, the login is "bthomehub@btbroadband.com" and the password is "XXXXXXXX".

I have done exactly as the above, when I took my laptop to my neighbour's home. He has a BT Infinity service . . . I just disconnected the Ethernet cable that linked the HG612 to the HH3.0A and plugged it directly into my laptop computer. A quick setup of a PPPoE service on my computer and access was obtained.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.