Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lucky escape  (Read 13573 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Lucky escape
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »

Not burnt out examples similar to my own, but some shocking  :P pictures here of disasters waiting to happen!

http://www.seaward.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »

I have had a number of bad experience with multigang sockets, beginning with one that cause my HiFi to 'hum'.  Upon dismantling, it turned out there was meant to be a bar linking all the earth terminals.  But that earth bar was completely absent, anything plugged in appeared to work, but was unearthed.

That first experience dates from 30 years ago, purchased at Woolworths (fond memories   ::)) But ever since, I always buy top branded names, and I always dismantle them for inspection prior to use.   You'd be amazed how often minor - but dangerous - faults are present, such as loose screw terminals that could lead to arcing.

You should definitely consider talking to Trading Standards.  The switchboard at your local council will probably try to fob off with 'Consumer Direct', which is a centralised organisation that helps people to write letters of complaint, etc., which is not really what you want here.   In my experience, if you insist that you want to talk to a local officer, they will put you through and will take a great deal of interest in something like this...

The only awkwardness with Trading Standards is you should really be talking to the office whose territory covers the Trader who sold the goods.  If  you didn't buy it locally, or not sure where it came from, there may not be much they can do.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »

That safety report discovered by SilverSurfer, came to the following conclusion: [1]

Conclusions and observations

The results of the overload tests for the 3 and 4 way fused adaptors varied, however, all these adaptors had temperature rise results above the limits of clause 16 of BS 1363-3:1995 (Amd 1-3 & Cor 1) for the pin spacer.  Some of the temperatures recorded were high enough to potentially cause damage to socket outlets and the PVC insulation of the wiring connected to them which can have a temperature limit of just 70°C.

It would useful to read BS1363. But the British Standards Institute demands £204 to download the document  :o   [2]

That's probably why the manufacturer, Ningbo B&L Electrical Accessories Co. Ltd of Zhejiang Province, China [3] got the design all wrong. Lack of access to the safety information.   ::)

According to the DTI (now the Dept for BIS), the UK retailer and the "first supplier" of electrical sockets both have legal obligations to comply with Safety Regulations. [4]

Those Regulations are contained in Statutory Instrument The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994. The Regulations are there inter alia to ensure the safe construction of fused socket adaptors. [5]

You had a lucky escape, sheddyian. Hope you didn't like the curtains that much  :(

Did you buy the adaptor recently?  It may be that you missed a Product Recall over their safety, or lack of?

cheers, a

[1] http://www.esc.org.uk/.../product_safety/BS_1363_adaptors.pdf
[2] http://shop.bsigroup.com/en/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030156716
[3] http://www.company400.com/company/cunyue.html
[4] http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file38628.pdf
[5] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/made?view=plain
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:13:45 PM by asbokid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »

Very lucky.

thankyou for posting.  I have one of those .... or rather had one.... Because tomorrow it will be going in the bin.

Ive just pulled it out of my box where I keep all the electrical stuff to sling it in the bin, but looking at it now, its not quite like yours.  I used to use in my bedroom so that I could plug in my straighteners so they could warm up, whilst still being able to use the hairdryer. 
The one I have has individual lights and switches for each socket .. and also has a surge and spike protector.

---

Edit according to the model no, it would appear to be one of these - only mine has red writing on the top that says Surge & Spike Protector.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:19:46 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »

What I find interesting is that the tests/specifications require the products to carry a significant overload for an extended period without overheating.

I feel fairly happy with mine as I only ever use such adapters with low-power devices, in fact I'd doubt if any of then has ever carried as much as 1Amp, let alone 13 or 160% of that!

I always take care, and would advise everyone else, to plug high-power devices directly into a socket on a ring main or other primary circuit; I even avoid spurs for such items.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »

Thanks Asbokid for finding that stuff, and Silversurfer for the safety report.

What's worth bearing in mind here is that the 4 gang socket wasn't anywhere near being overloaded, so it must have been a fault that caused it to catch fire.  That it melted so much is telling, as the plastic is clearly inferior. 

I've yet to take it to Trading Standards, as I'm unsure if they directly deal with that sort of thing, from a quick look at their web site. 

Part of the problem being that I'm not sure where I bought it (though probably Poundland) nor how long ago (probably over a year, may be as long as 3 years).  I've had 3 or 4 of them in total, none are now being used.  This is the only one that's given me any problems.

And a follow up to the smoke alarm that didn't bark beep, the test button on the unit makes it sound very loudly, and (because I was suspicious) waving a bit of smouldering newspaper under it set it off within 10 seconds.

So I'm happy it's working, though maybe draughts mean it didn't catch the smoke.  Suspect I'll be getting a few more for individual rooms - currently only got one in hall and one on landing.

Ian

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »

What's worth bearing in mind here is that the 4 gang socket wasn't anywhere near being overloaded, so it must have been a fault that caused it to catch fire.

I believe you! Maybe dismantle the remaining ones to discover the point of failure. Judging from your photos, the 'seat of the fire' was between the wall plug and the rails in the 4 way gang. So maybe it was down to an assembly error at the factory.   Clumsily stripping the cable during assembly could feasibly have caused it.. 

Paring not only the insulation around a cable core, but many of the conducting strands in the core, could make it liable to overheat. And overheat at a load much below the rated 13A.  If the cable insulation isn't up to spec then even a modest load on a badly stripped cable could cause it to combust.  Aluminium cable is supposed to be bad for this, because of the rapid oxidisation of the metal. This introduces poor conduction and risk of overheating and fire.

It was a lucky escape there!

cheers, a

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »

I've yet to take it to Trading Standards, as I'm unsure if they directly deal with that sort of thing, from a quick look at their web site. 

I'm fairly sure they do - and they have in my case, a couple of times over the years.   You need to look at the web page for your local council, rather than the central government website.  Not all councils have good websites, but here's a couple of randomly chosen example that clearly spell out Tradings Standards' interest in dangerous goods....

http://www.iwight.com/council/publicServices/serviceFaqs.aspx?servID=1218&questId=3190

Question: How to I report a business selling to underage children/selling dangerous goods?
Answer: You need to speak to the Trading Standards Service on <removed by 7LM> to give them as much information as possible so that they may investigate the matter further.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=b1113027
We deal with a variety of consumer issues, such as :

dangerous goods

If you're not sure where it came from then there may not be much point, but I'd be tempted to find your local office and give them a ring anyway.  Just be clear that you want to speak to an officer, rather than just be passed on to consumer direct.... in my experience, that's just a well-meaning advice centre that tells you how to write letters of complaint.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:54 PM »

From [4] above..

ENFORCEMENT

The [1994 Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety)] Regulations are enforced by the local authority trading standards authorities.  Where there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that electrical equipment may  not meet the requirements of the Regulations, an enforcement authority should take appropriate enforcement action to remove the equipment from the market. Any enforcement action taken will be based on the facts of the case and will not be jeopardised by the origin of the equipment.
Notifications to Secretary of State: As these Regulations are not derived from a European Directive there is no legal requirement for enforcement authorities to advise the DTI that action under the Regulations has taken place. However where the enforcement authority is of the view that there is an immediate and serious risk to consumers, it should consider whether the RAPEX process under the General Product Safety Regulations should be used to advise enforcement authorities in other member States. It should be appreciated that the UK style of plug and socket system is in use in the member States of Cyprus, Ireland and Malta.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:19:27 PM by asbokid »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

Thanks for that sevenlayermuddle and asbokid, I'll find some contact details of local Trading Standards and give them a call, quoting that 1994 Plugs and Sockets thing.

I foolishly expected to find a "reporting faulty goods" section on their website!

Ian

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »

After reading sheddyian's lucky escape, I just re-examined a model of (unfused) plug adaptor. It is often shipped by Chinese vendors when selling electrical appliances into the UK market. The one below was included with a 800 watt solder station. :o

The adaptor is an Epic Fail by the UK plug safety regulations.  With no safety shutters - the live and neutral rails are completely exposed, waiting like a venus fly trap for an inquisitive small child.

Normally the live and neutral should be shuttered. And the shutters should only retract when the longer earth pin is inserted.   That non-conformance is perhaps why the manufacturer has labelled it "For Export Only"  :D    We're only Brits after all!  Ten-a-penny us lot!  :o

cheer, a

EDIT: added - some sort of US mains connector - vertical live/neutral pins (120VAC ?!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:30:14 PM by asbokid »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »

Erk, I don't like the look of that at all!

If that's a European style 2-pin plug on the solder station, you can get those snap over adaptors that semi-permanently (they can be removed) turn it into a UK 3 pin plug - some grey market import stuff comes with those already fitted.

Though I notice some of the snap over adaptors don't have a fuse in them, which bothers me.  Surely not having a plug fuse contravenes UK standards (& laws?)

edit : here's an example of one such snap over adaptor that does have a fuse in it, and seems to make a nice permanent job of the euro-UK conversion, so long as the appliance is 230V AC. http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Euro-UK-Adapter-Plug/dp/B0000934J2 

Ian
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:01:42 PM by sheddyian »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »

Heh, thanks Ian.

Not sure what's going on.  The device has a 220VAC transformer in it, but that mains plug looks like an American one intended for 120VAC.  :-\   Easier perhaps just to chop it off and fit a trusty old British one  :-[

cheers, a

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »

.. and on the subject of shutters, I recently saw a novel socket (possibly MK) that needs all 3 pins present to make the shutters open - you can't just jam something in where the earth pin should go to make the shutters open.  Seemed a very good idea.

I really think we should be more proud of this sort of UK safety standard, when other countries have only recently started shuttering their mains sockets.

Ian
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything