Computer Software > Security

How To Stop Sending Out My IP Address.

<< < (5/6) > >>

guest:
Yes but smoothwall is presumably routing rather than NATing? You can (IIRC) get it to do both. If the IP address you see on the sites your daughter visits is in the block Eclipse gave you and isn't the one you assigned to the smoothwall box then smoothwall is routing rather than NATing.

Why (if you don't mind me asking) do you need multiple public IP addresses anyway? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have them - even if you're just playing about with them (I did this on AAISP :) ) - but having a block does make you a lot more visible. Eg - I wouldn't care what results I saw from a scan, if there's a block assigned then there's a network there :)

tickmike:
Smoothwall does the routing and Nats in this set up, hence the need for a block of IP's.
The IP address on my daughters machine is the same one as Eric can see the internet facing one, it's the same IP on all my network machines.
My network runs on 198.168.x.x. range.

jabns:
I have a /28 block and i just did a whois and it does not have any of my details on them.

Ohh - You could get my surname if you do an rDNS lookup on the IP they are routed through  :lol:

If you are very worried check out TOR.

PS* Add the dans guardian module to Smoothwall and ban Myface and Spacebook(me trying to be funny). I am curently using Linux from scratch and making my own firewall to filter ads, phishing and do av ect......

roseway:
>> Smoothwall does the routing and Nats in this set up, hence the need for a block of IP's.

Well, rizla may correct me again here, but if you've got no internet-facing servers and you're using NAT, then you only need one external IP address. The NAT function will relate a single external address to multiple internal addresses. This is of course what most routers do.

jabns:
It can vary from setup to setup but usually in a RED+GREEN setup you would:

(Pretend are IP Block is a /28 with 16 IPs and 14 usable: 999.999.999.100 - 999.999.999.116

Modem = 999.999.999.100 (NAT would be disabled and it would just be left to route to the smoothwall)
Smoothwall RED = 999.999.999.101
Smoothwall GREEN = 999.999.999.102
DHCP = 999.999.999.103 - 999.999.999.115
Broadcast = 999.999.999.116

That how i do my firewall. Its not smoothwall but the fundamentals are the same.

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version