Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: New PlusNet FTTC install  (Read 67679 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: New PlusNet FTTC install
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 08:32:57 PM »

Im going to try and be nuetral here and form an independent decission because I can see both sides of the story.

1) The mistake was make by a BT engineer so I can understand Plusnets not wanting to have to shell out a mistake made by BT when they have no chance of recovering this.
I can understand what they are saying in that BT should have had an attempt to fix this.

However Plusnet have admitted they are aware of e-viper and therefore in this case they should have used this process to get a quicker resolution.

2) I can fully understand the customers concern, this was reported to the ISP immediately on the 24th, yet by the end of day on the 25th, the customer was led to believe this could take up to 7 days to fix.   Therefore he got it sorted himself.

However, it could be seen that £30 was a little bit too much for a simple job that could be resolved in a few minutes by someone who knew what they are doing, and as such neither Plusnet (nor BT) want to leave themselves wide open to future claims of payments that cant be proved.

-------

In view of the above and trying to take all facts into account, in that the EU has been inconvenienced through no fault of his own, I dont feel that it would be unjust if plusnet made a goodwill gesture that would at least help to smooth things over.   Im not sure if the OP also has plusnet as his telecom provider, but in either case the Plusnet is the provider of his internet and as  the OP pays his bill(s) to plusnet then they in effect are the ones who could/should resolve this.

Even a couple of quid off this months bill to recompense for "downtime",  I feel would be a good and fair solution in the sake of customer relations.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »

This unfortunate mishap shows the failing of SMPF:(

BT Retail provide the telephony service and PlusNet provide the broadband service.

An Openreach employee caused a disruption to the former whilst installing the FTTC service on behalf of the latter.

Nether BT Retail CS nor PlusNet CS fully understood what happened, when reported to them both on the day that incident occurred.

Subsequent to the event another Openreach employee, our very own Black Sheep, explained what PlusNet should have done on that day to have an immediate engineering recall. PlusNet have acknowledged they are aware of the e-Viper escalation process but failed to use it.

Who owns BT Retail, Openreach and PlusNet? (Rhetorical question.) The answer is, of course, the BT Group, plc. Perhaps Mr Ian Livingston, CEO BT Group, should "crack a few heads together".  ::)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:50:51 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »

Hold on a mo !!! I believe I own the company !!!

At least that's what I'm told, when we're having a meeting, and discussing 'clear blue thinking' about how to maximise our bottom line. They're forever shouting at us, "Right then, it's your company ....... what would you do ..... ??"

I haven't got the heart to tell them.  ::) ;D

Sorry, back OT again.

chrisparr

• ISP Rep
  • Comms/Support
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

Leave this with me for now, I'll get one of my team to get in touch with happy37 to try and get this resolved.
Chris Parr
Plusnet Digital Care Lead
Service Status : RSS : Email

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

Chris

Thanks for your message.

I haven't heard back from anyone at PlusNet today yet, but please feel free to leave your reply on here or send me a PM.

Regards

happy37

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »

Hi there,

I've read the entirety of this thread and to be honest can empathise with all of the concerned parties.

What happened was unfortunate, but like others have said - people do occasionally make mistakes.

What seems to be the main point of discussion is the escalation process and whether or not the correct action was taken by us (Plusnet).

We do use the E-Viper escalation process in certain situations, but if an engineer has left your extension sockets disconnected, we have to follow the complaints procedure.

I see two anomalies in the above.

(1) So PlusNet use the e-Viper escalation process when it suits them. Bah. This botched installation required its usage.

There are some problems with this. Yes, we are aware of the e-Viper escalation path but it's not without its nuances.

One of the problems from a provisioning perspective is what to do if the order is in a 'complete' state across systems various. It's not unheard of for e-Viper escalations to be declined on this basis. I suspect that's probably what happened here. The order was complete so a typical fault was raised. There is a faults escalation path but in all honesty if the fault had been seen through to completion an engineer would probably have been out within 24-48 hours anyway.

The fault would be raised to their cp (in this case plusnet) the cp then goes to Openreach with the complaint/fault. That is then sent out as an E viper to the engineers line manager. Openreach will then IMMEDIATELY have someone out to look at it (i went to look at an Eviper complaint on someones work the same day it came in) then  Openreach can either accept or reject the request.

With the utmost respect, that's not true in all cases. Whilst familiarising myself with the e-Viper escalation process I've already spoken to one of our faults agents here who has an e-Viper escalation for a PSTN install issue that's been open some days with little response on the occasions he's tried chasing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to divert blame here, I'm just relaying the facts as I know them.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to agree with kitz here, so I'll drop happy37 a PM and see what I can do as a goodwill gesture for all the hassle ...

Best regards,
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »

Anyway, I'd be inclined to agree with kitz here, so I'll drop happy37 a PM and see what I can do as a goodwill gesture for all the hassle ...

Dear Mr Pullen,

Good morning.

Having read your post, I would like to say a huge thanks to you for the time and trouble that you've taken in getting this issue sorted out for me.

It's very much appreciated.

I am more than happy to accept the offer that you've put forward to me.

Regards

happy37

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »

I'm glad this has been resolved in a satisfactory manner.  :thumbs:

Thank you Bob (and PN support) for your help.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »

Let's have a round of applause for Plusnet & especially Mr. Bob Pullen.

Really glad things have been sorted Happy, Happy37.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »

Kitz and ss44,

Thanks.

Am so glad that things are now sorted.

Time to move on and enjoy the new FTTC service.

Regards

happy37

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

Awww, I like happy endings! :)
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

Awww, I like happy endings! :)

^-^  You're not the only one. Thank you for your assistance, Bob.

Just "purrfect".  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »

Glad you got it sorted, Happy. Hopefully Happy not just by name now!  Thumbs up to plus.net and Bob Pullen for putting a smile on Happy's face!

Is the e-Viper system used by Blighty T, anything to do with Group 4 Security (g4s)?    Olympic sponsor, g4s, has its own Track & Trace system called e-Viper. Although g4s pitches it as a tool for monitoring bullion movements. No prizes for losing the root password to that system!

http://www.g4s.com/~/media/Files/International%20magazine/2008%20Issue%202/international-june-o8-eviper_36-37.ashx

cheers, a

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »

Hello everyone - a very good Friday morning to you all.  :)

A huge thanks to Mr Bob Pullen once again as well as Kitz, Burakkucat and Asbokid for your congratulatory replies.  :D

Evryone's help and advice was very much appreciated.  :)  ;)

I am now going to go all "techie" on you all as I need some help, possibly with a stuck IP Profile I think (but I might be wrong.)

I am now on the 80/20 trial on the PlusNet Value Fibre product. This was put in at the end of last week, but I have not seen the faster speeds to date.

As you can see, the upload speed is fine, but the download one isn't.

I have raised a ticket with PlusNet to see if they can sort things out. I have done some BT Speedtester tests (a screenshot of a recent one is attached.)

For those of you who are with PlusNet, and also use the PlusNet Value Fibre product, can you see anything amiss in the BT test screenshot?

I am originally on the 40/2 product, but thought I'd take part in the 80/20 trial as PlusNet offered it to me.

Thanks in advance - please let me know if any more info is needed.

Regards

happy37
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:54:52 AM by happy37 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:22 AM »

Out of curiousity whats your sync speed (line stats).

Thats not a stuck IPprofile - its showing as 69Mbps, so theres something else limiting your speeds.

Are you stuck constantly at around 27Mbps, or does the throughput speed vary?
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13