Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Friend's phone fault  (Read 10156 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Friend's phone fault
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »

Yes, the plan is to get the phone socket replaced with NTE/5 asap. Friend was worried it would cost, but I've explained several times :)  Also there's furniture in the way, which needs to be reorganized first!

I've not had any update on the situation, so don't yet know if the SP has contacted her to inform her its fixed, and if so, what they said the fault was.  But will keep you all updated  ;)

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »

Excellent.  :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

Ian,

Good news that it has been fixed however i would get her to consider getting that master socket upgraded to an NTE5 and get the wiring up to standards. Your friend would be requesting what i put up in a previous post which is an EMR (Emergency maintenance repair). There should be no charge to the visit for upgrading the socket to an NTE5. BS and any other engineer on this forum should beable to back that up.

Gary

so if you have an old NTE-5 and that was causing the problem would you be charged for the call out? - ive just told someone on sky forums that he would of lol... better nip back across there and edit it...
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »

Snadge,

If you have an old non-NTE5 then it should be replaced for an NTE5 free of charge to bring the wiring up to standards. This then gives the customer the capabilities to eliminate internal wiring issues for future faults.

Gary

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »

The SP contacted my friend yesterday to tell her the fault was fixed, but gave no indication of what it was  >:(

She will be following up the replacement NTE/5 as soon as the furniture is rearranged ! (no doubt with my assistance  ;D   )

Thanks for all your advice, hope the fault was of interest!

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »

Thanks for all your advice, hope the fault was of interest!

You're welcome and of course it was interesting.  :)

Just wish that we knew what was the cause (and what solution was applied) . . .  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »

Yeah its always nice to find out what was causing the issues. Helps diagnose future faults i find but the main thing is that it is working  ;D

Gary

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »

A footnote to this tale of friends phone failing, last night my phone died whilst I was talking to the same friend!  :lol:

Line went completely dead, she got routed to 1571 when trying to call me back.

When I'd tried to report her plusnet service going down, I was unable to do so without a username and password!  However, she successfully reported my TalkTalk fault online by giving phone number and account number only.  Also gave mobile number for fault feedback.

When line was dead, DSL and Internet lights went out on modem.  Later on the DSL light came back on, but no internet.  I tried to force the modem to reconnect, but it kept alternating between connecting and offline.

Once the DSL light had come back on, the dead line gave me an engaged tone when I expected a dialling tone. (note : not equipment busy tone - or do they not use that one anymore?)

This morning it all seems to be working again, modem reports resynch at 2am.  At 8am I received 4 text messages telling me their tests showed no fault and an engineer has been notified  ::)

So, from the experience here - a 3rd party can report talktalk faults for you (although account number is needed) but the same can't be done for Plusnet (unless 3rd party also has your password).

Ian

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »

Ian,

It should be the same for all service providers. 3rd party's should beable to report faults with the address and postcode but if any sensitive information is requested then the 3rd party should then be asked for a password if there is one on the account or the account number. If charges have to be advised would be an example. It all falls under the data protection act aswell as fraud cause if that is not implemented by a service provider then that means anyone can call up and request the line to be diverted or get billing information which doesn't really protect the customers information that well. In regards to your phone line and broadband troubles i would suggest you connect everything into the test socket and monitor from there cause if this has cut out once it will more than likely cut out again.

Gary

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »

I'm fairly sure my line fault was at the exchange, or higher up the chain, as, after I had dead line I then got engaged tone instead of dial tone. Looking at the fault my friend logged, it was marked as resolved about an hour later, which roughly coincides with when my modem reported reconnection. (2am)

I think it'd be good if there was a central point to report faults (does 150 do this, or only for BT?)

My experience was, on calling Plusnet for friend, they wanted username *and* password (which I didn't know) to log the fault. But when friend logged my fault online, TalkTalk only wanted account number and phone number, which I'd furnished her with.

I realised at the time of trying to log Plusnet fault that there needs to be something in place to prevent malicious fault-logging, but requiring password??

Can't I just say "hey, tried to call number x, it doesn't connect" and Plusnet do check and realise "oh, there's no dialtone on that number, must be a fault" ?

Ian #OldGit

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »

Ian,

You will not beable to report your fault using 150 unless you are a BT customers. All your phone line faults need to be reported to talk talk as long as you pay them line rental. However what you need to do if this happens again is grab a BT phone book and turn to page 7. Follow the instructions 1-3 provided. You must do this troubleshooting with no broadband equipment connected. It will advise you to try a known working phone and try at the test socket. You will get a diagram showing you how to get access to the test socket if you don't know. If this fault continues to occur then you most contact your service provider advising them of the troubleshooting you have conducted and request further investigation. Do not ask for an engineer request they send it over to there diagnostics team for further investigation otherwise you will get someone out when it is working and they will test it ok and you may very well be hit with a charge.

Gary
Pages: 1 [2]

anything