Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying to work out ratio- how much usage is downstream; how much upstream?  (Read 2465 times)

renluop

• Kitizen

Is there a way to do that with my 8800NL?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

DSLstats traffic monitoring works quite well with the 8800NL. Set the command to 'ifconfig' and the interface to 'ppp***'.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen

Brain deficiency this morning; overladen with dread thoughts of a concert tonight! :-\
Can't think what the asterisks mean!

Imust be getting senile.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:42:09 AM by renluop »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Don't worry, I'm well on the way there myself.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen

The monitor seems to record usage, say 20%, lower than PN's statistics. Is there an explanation other than one set (obviously  PN's>:D ) is wrong?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I couldn't put my hand on my heart and swear that the DSLstats figures are accurate, and it could be that the ppp*** interface doesn't include all the data transferred. I simply don't know.

One easy check is to download a large file from somewhere, and take a careful note of the before and after figures for traffic. The difference in the downstream traffic figures should be close to the size of the downloaded file.
  Eric

loonylion

• Reg Member

The monitor seems to record usage, say 20%, lower than PN's statistics. Is there an explanation other than one set (obviously  PN's>:D ) is wrong?

I would say PN is wrong. Back when they first stopped doing unlimited adsl and put us onto a limited package, their monitoring was so inaccurate that they kept penalising us for going over the limit when we were nowhere near the limit. (all traffic in this house goes through a Smoothwall which had comprehensive monitoring), and on numerous occasions the amount of data PN said we'd used was physically impossible for the line in question (given that it was a 2mbit line operating significantly below 2mbps, and also all the equipment sans modem was shut off at night.) I told them repeatedly that their monitoring was utter junk and that they shouldn't be imposing usage limits on customers when they were incapable of measuring usage with any degree of accuracy.

Between that and the MTU issues was what made us move to LLU, and our connection speed doubled overnight

AArdvark

• Kitizen

If I understand correctly PN would be using the RADIUS system to collect accounting information as a means to estimate the data usage etc.

I have recently had call logs sent to me which included Graphics from the RADIUS system detailing my connection times & durations.
The information in the call logs was completely wrong, stating periods of time when I was supposed to not be logged in.
It displayed labels stating 'No connection for 17 days' and similar when in fact I never disconnect at all unless I am rebooting the modem.
PN when asked about this stated the following: (Direct Quote from reply)
Please ignore our visual RADIUS as there are times when it reports inaccurately and we are merely adding it to show a snapshot of the last couple of days or so. Of course, pending it is displaying these correctly.

I think this may support your contention that the error is on PN's side.

renluop

• Kitizen

Thanks all! :)  I'm sure that DSLStats is definitely accurate, having downloaded a 512 MB TBB file. My start to finish according to traffic monitor was 433 to 949= 516.

renluop

• Kitizen

I've noticed that the traffic graph seems to renew at the start of the month, but the previous month's is not saved. Am I right, or is it my error?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Underneath the graph there are buttons for three different types of display. If you select "Monthly traffic" you'll see up to the last 12 months' totals. And of course you can set up automatic snapshots if you really want to preserve the detail.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen

Thanks! :) I don't know how |I missed the option to auto-save traffic. :paperbag:

anything