Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Huawei modem on an ECI cab  (Read 17263 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Huawei modem on an ECI cab
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 02:52:03 AM »

at 6am I get a big Paw in my face who needs an Alarm clock.  >:(

Ah but that shows that you are still loved! (And recognised as a member of staff who provides food.  ;D  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

themanstan

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »

After quite a few months DLM appears to have done its very slow job of bringing my speed back up, IP Profile is now 57.

However, the missus has strung up quite a few Christmas lights... I'm hoping that this doesn't ruin DLMs recovery work...
2 Maine Coons, Onyx and Ash, kitten Onyx shown

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »

After quite a few months DLM appears to have done its very slow job of bringing my speed back up, IP Profile is now 57.

Just to confirm, are you still using an unlocked HG612, or have you reverted to the ECI modem?

themanstan

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »

I popped the ECI back in and left it alone.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »

I popped the ECI back in and left it alone.

This is from your original post:-

"Using the ECI modem i get a 47-51 IP profile and with the Huawei i get 52-54 IP profile."

That suggested the Huawei modem gave slightly improved performance over the ECI modem.

Your result now suggests that the ECI gives improved performance.

Having monitored a few connections to ECI DSLAMS using the Huawei HG612, I have a theory that ECI modems are actually more compatible than HG612 modems when connected to ECI DSLAMS, other limited reports being the same as your latest feedback.
i.e. given sufficient time, the ECI modem does slightly out-perform the HG612.

As the ECI modem is harder to unlock & we haven't yet fully understood the stats it can provide, we can't easily prove/disprove my theory.

In principle, it would be interesting to see the longer term effect of using an ECI modem connected to a Huawei DSLAM, if only we could work out how to reliably obtain like-for-like statistics.

themanstan

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »

Well, I could always pop the Huawei in and leave it for 2-3 months as an experiment to see if we can improve the profile further.

Quite happy to have a punt and see if there are long term differences using either Modem on an ECI cab.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

Well, I could always pop the Huawei in and leave it for 2-3 months as an experiment to see if we can improve the profile further.

Quite happy to have a punt and see if there are long term differences using either Modem on an ECI cab.

That could indeed be a very revealing experiment, but only if you are genuinely up for it.

The attached graphs show a typical day for one of the connections.
Error seconds are low, CRC Errors are low, HEC Errors are quite low, SNRM is very stable, the connection doesn't resync frequently, but look at the quite high Interleaving depth, lowish sync speed & really high RSCorr/FEC Error counts.

This connection is around 450m or less from the ECI DSLAM.

For all we know, the connection may just be poor quality & Interleaving is just doing its job.
On the other hand, it MIGHT be a result of a slight incompatibility between the Huawei HG612 modem & the ECI DSLAM.

themanstan

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »

Switched back to Huawei last night and tested it this morning... dropped down to an IP profile of 51.02 Mbps...lets see how long it stays like that...

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

Oops. That's not good, sorry  :(

That's maybe because SNRM & thus achievable sync speed were lower at the time (noisier at night time).

If you do fancy rebooting the modem when SNRM is likely to be at its highest, that's usually between noon & 2pm.

I wouldn't advise any more rebooting than that though as I wouldn't want DLM to think your connection has suddenly become unstable.

If this ends up being a negative move, please accept my apologies for encouraging you to experiment & by all means reinstate the ECI modem.

themanstan

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »

Not a problem.

It will be good for people to know if matching modem/cabs results in DLM being able to bring their speeds back more efficiently than mismatched hardware.

We do know that for my connection that matching results in a recovery. People may be missing out, simply because they want to see their stats at will.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »

Not a problem.

It will be good for people to know if matching modem/cabs results in DLM being able to bring their speeds back more efficiently than mismatched hardware.

Apparently that is the case for ADSL connections, Broadcom chipped modem/routers generally performing better than non-Broadcom routers when connected to Broadcom chipped DSLAMS/MSANs or whatever is used for ADSL.

I say apparently as I haven't tested that out as I had no interest in my previous ADSL connection as I knew I could only achieve 1Mb or so (on a good day) due to distance from the exchange.

We do know that for my connection that matching results in a recovery. People may be missing out, simply because they want to see their stats at will.

They may indeed be missing out.
Perhaps for most users though, at VDSL2 speeds on capped speed profiles, it isn't really an issue as 5Mb here & there isn't quite as critical as say 1 or 2Mb on a much lower speed ADSL connection that could mean half the achievable speed is lost.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »

Gentlefolk,

However if you've just had a VDSL installation done by a contractor without the required "pair quality test" instrument, together with two NTE5s in series being overlooked, the result can be around 9 Mbps instead of over 25 Mbps.

Caveat emptor is a bit difficult when you can't officially see the actual line's performance.

Kind regards,
Walter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 03:38:26 AM »

by the way I will also add to this that on average once every 3 days or so I had a burst of crc errors on my hg612 modem, I now know I am on a ECI dslam so it may be for the same reason as otherwise the connection was stable with very low crc count outside of these short bursts.

It is dissapointing tho that a hg modem can outsync a eci modem on a eci dslam.  Which suggests anyone on a eci dslam may be at a disadvantage to those with a hg to hg combo.  I was hoping getting a eci modem for my eci dslam may bump my attainable sync up (which has lost 40mbit in 2 weeks).

themanstan

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »

Right... after a month DLM had brought my speed up from an IP profile of 50.4ish to 54, so i thought i'd try a reset of the modem. Brought profile down to 49.64.

So it appears a Huawei on a ECI cab is a bit skittish about manual modem resets and prefers to let DLM do things.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »

Did you reset the modem at a time of day when SNRM & thus attainable rates would have been at their highest (say around noon), or at their overnight lowest (say around 23:00)?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything