Chat > Tech Chat

Data rate is 20 times higher than the best commonly used wi-fi standard.

(1/1)

tickmike:
This will be useful !   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18072618

roseway:
Very interesting, but it does rather seem to be a solution which is in need of a problem to solve (if you see what I mean). :)

Oranged:

--- Quote from: roseway on May 16, 2012, 09:29:42 AM ---Very interesting, but it does rather seem to be a solution which is in need of a problem to solve (if you see what I mean). :)

--- End quote ---

You mean the "must have that" people of this world ?

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Oranged on May 16, 2012, 11:38:20 AM ---You mean the "must have that" people of this world ?

--- End quote ---

:D

kitz:

--- Quote ---demonstrated a 1.5Gb/s (1.5 billion bits per second) transfer rate at a frequency of 300GHz.
--- End quote ---

I cant help but wonder how long it will be before the technology is implemented.   It always strikes me as weird that despite GbE technology being around for a long time now and you can pick up Gb ethernet cards quite cheaply...  but its much harder to find a router which has an onboard Gigabit switch.  Too many still only have 10/100 ethernet and you have to buy separate giga bit switches...  so I cant imagine there being a big hurry for router manufacturers to include new wifi technology in adsl routers :(

--- Quote ---Terahertz wi-fi would probably only work over ranges of about 10m, but could in theory support data rates up to 100Gb/s - close to 15 times higher than the next-generation 802.11ac wi-fi standard that is under development.

--- End quote ---

mhmmmmmm...  100Gb/s...  could prove very useful for backup and transfer or data between local machines.  :D
However bearing in mind the limited availability (price) of 100GbE (does this need fibre?) ...  I think this may be a while in coming..  unless they can find a way to cheaply manufacture. :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version