Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 88760 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2012, 01:24:33 AM »

. . . the lights do flicker quite regular, mostly when powering on the hoover. And we do go though a load of light bulbs. Also the electric trips quite regular!

Edit: I haven't noticed any re sync's when using anything electrical though.

The electricity does not trip sorry, when the light bulbs go out the lights trip not the actual power to the sockets

That reads as if you have marginal mains wiring. It is almost as if it is telling you that it needs to be checked by a qualified electrician.  :-X

How old is your house? How old is the wiring? Is your electricity supply fed underground or overhead?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »

. . . the lights do flicker quite regular, mostly when powering on the hoover. And we do go though a load of light bulbs. Also the electric trips quite regular!

Edit: I haven't noticed any re sync's when using anything electrical though.

The electricity does not trip sorry, when the light bulbs go out the lights trip not the actual power to the sockets

That reads as if you have marginal mains wiring. It is almost as if it is telling you that it needs to be checked by a qualified electrician.  :-X

How old is your house? How old is the wiring? Is your electricity supply fed underground or overhead?

Think this needs further clarification. 'Power to sockets' remains unaffected, nut the 'Lights trip'. If Josh has an up-to-date spec board, that is what should happen. It is a 'split board' whereby the mains sockets are fed via RCD's and the lighting via MCB's.

I see what you are saying though B*Cat and it really is down to the wording. You are guessing he has the old rewireable board methinks ??

As I say, further clarification is needed. :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »

The electricity does not trip sorry, when the light bulbs go out the lights trip not the actual power to the sockets[/color]

Think this needs further clarification. 'Power to sockets' remains unaffected, nut the 'Lights trip'. If Josh has an up-to-date spec board, that is what should happen. It is a 'split board' whereby the mains sockets are fed via RCD's and the lighting via MCB's.

I thought Josh might have just described the underlying issue, until he added the edit that it is only the lights that trip.
There might still be something to check there though, as I don't think simply powering up a hoover should cause a noticeable flicker on the lighting.

My lighting circuit also trips as intended whenever a light bulb "pops".

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »

I will have it checked out you never know! It's an old house but fairly new wiring, you never know it might well be the issue.

DLM has made changes again, this time for the better!

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »

48 Hour Graph

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »

It is better, but 27399 k sync speed still looks suspiciously like a capped/stuck profile against the 40Mb+ attainable rate.

I wonder if DLM needs re-setting on a wide open profile for your connection to retrain over 2 days (as per BT's own SIN 498 document), or if DLM ups the sync speeds at various capped levels over a few days to see what your connection can sustain.

You should be getting some feedback anyway today shouldn't you?

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »

It is better, but 27399 k sync speed still looks suspiciously like a capped/stuck profile against the 40Mb+ attainable rate.

I wonder if DLM needs re-setting on a wide open profile for your connection to retrain over 2 days (as per BT's own SIN 498 document), or if DLM ups the sync speeds at various capped levels over a few days to see what your connection can sustain.

You should be getting some feedback anyway today shouldn't you?

That's right Paul, I'll report back later on.

Cheers,

Josh

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »

Absolutely. I can see no obvious reason why the lights (on one circuit) should flicker when a transient heavy load (start-up current of a vacuum cleaner motor) is applied on a separate circuit.

(Note for those not in the know. Before he became a communications technician, Black Sheep plied his trade as a qualified sparky.  ;)  )

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

Absolutely. I can see no obvious reason why the lights (on one circuit) should flicker when a transient heavy load (start-up current of a vacuum cleaner motor) is applied on a separate circuit.

(Note for those not in the know. Before he became a communications technician, Black Sheep plied his trade as a qualified sparky.  ;)  )

After further testing the lights do not flicker but then do dim, is this normal when powering on the hoover? And slightly but not as much when clicking on the kettle.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Josh

Excelsior

• Star Fleet X Bomber homepage
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »

I know very little about this stuff, but what sort of lights are they?  Could they be somehow linked to the mains circuit, it sounds as if the more power is drawn on the mains the less the lights get?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »

After further testing the lights do not flicker but then do dim, is this normal when powering on the hoover? And slightly but not as much when clicking on the kettle.

Is you mains power supply fed to you by overhead wires? Are you at the remote end of a country lane, in the village of "Much Mucking In The Duck Pond"?

If both answers are "No", then I would not expect that powering on the vacuum cleaner or the kettle would cause the lights to dim, transiently.

I think that Black Sheep and / or Walter may be the best qualified to comment on your power situation.  :-\

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »

Got my update,

"I’ve just received an update from Openreach, unfortunately it is not the best news.
So far they have been unable to task out an engineer; so I’ve escalated the issue.

This will now follow a high level escalation process, so OR management will now be involved.
OR REIN will provide the next update on 2nd May, however due to the escalation I expect an update on Monday morning.

I understand this will be frustrating; but please rest assured we are doing everything within our control to progress the fault with Openreach".

Sounds like a step in the right direction!

Although errors have been much lower than they have previously been!

Cheers,

Josh

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »

Is you mains power supply fed to you by overhead wires? Are you at the remote end of a country lane, in the village of "Much Mucking In The Duck Pond"?

If both answers are "No", then I would not expect that powering on the vacuum cleaner or the kettle would cause the lights to dim, transiently.

I think that Black Sheep and / or Walter may be the best qualified to comment on your power situation.  :-\

As with all things, trying to 'bottom out' an issue on a forum is difficult. I wonder if we're going off at a tangent as well here ?? Anyhows, as most folk will know, the lighting circuits and power circuits (ie: ring main sockets) should be on their own protective device, be that a rewireable fues, a cartridge fuse, or an RCD/MCCB etc etc.

However, there could be a fused-spur feeding a lighting circuit of its own, that is fed off the ring-main wiring. This is quite legal to do. It is most commonly used in loft-conversions or conservatory builds, whereby it's generally easier to extend the ring main into the 'new build', but trying to pick up the lighting circuit proves more difficult. By running a seperate 'fused-spur' that is teed-off this extended ring-main, you can fuse the circuit down to 5amps and run a lighting circuit from it. In effect, the 'fused spur' is acting as the main distribution board, but only for that particular lighting circuit. So, it is possible that if the ring-main (with the fused spur attatched) is working at near full capacity, then switching on a bank of lights could see a small voltage dip.

Hope that makes sense, cos it's not easy to put over in words. :-\ :)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »

That makes perfect sense, we have a conservetry.

Question is could this effect my broadband connection?

Cheers,

Josh
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:58:24 PM by JoshShep »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »

That makes perfect sense, we have a conservetry.

Question is could this effect my broadband connection?

Cheers,

Josh

Yes, you need to demolish the conservatory immediately !!  ;D

Please forgive my moment of mirth there, Josh. This is why I said above, that we could be going off at a tangent. One minute we're talking about the why's and wherefores of 17th edition electrical wiring, and the next ... REIN.

Don't get me wrong, the two could be linked but I think we're trying to dig too deep here. If you suspect you have REIN's induced interference within the premises, and you perceive it to be your lights (whether they are directly fused or on a spur), then try and obtain a small AM/MW radio and tune it into 612Khz and observe if a 'buzzing' noise appears in place of the nominal hissing/whooshing noise that will be heard when REIN isn't detected.

Sorry for short reply, but off to do some paid graft. ;) ;D ;D Stick with it Josh.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15